My Toledo

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Bought this off bob in January past there as my old Toledo was getting on a bit. Hadn't planned to change as early in the year, but when I saw this one for sale I couldn't let it pass, hard to get in 150bhp and low milage!

All I've done is fit towbar, cruise control and armrest, and probably that'll be the height of it.

Debating keeping the TT Comps on it though as I discovered 2 of the original rims are buckled, but they will need a refurb. Don't know whether to look out for 2 second hand OE rims or spend a few ££ on the TT's!

400386810.jpg

400386728.jpg

400386732.jpg

And with the TT's:
401652666.jpg

401652665.jpg

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Those are 18" A8 Fat Fives though!

Very nice Adrian! I'll have to keep an eye out. I'd say it's sharp enough too.

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
Those are 18" A8 Fat Fives though!

Very nice Adrian! I'll have to keep an eye out. I'd say it's sharp enough too.

Yeah it goes well and is getting high 40's/50 miles per gallon too so can't complain about that either. Not just as economical as my old 110bhp, but worth it for the extra power!

@bob - yeah plate helps it, hate English regs on cars! Fits in with the other regs at the house!

DSCF0257.jpg

MarkyMck

RMS Regular
Drives
F56&R53 JCW
The MINI is never that clean normally! it was STINKING when I saw it last week in town :lol:

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
The MINI is never that clean normally! it was STINKING when I saw it last week in town :lol:

I had to clean it with a shovel earlier, Toledo wasn't much better! Only 2 weeks between washes too, joys of country living!!

mmc01

RMS Regular
Nice Toledo, I'd keep the tt's on it and refurb them just..

Same interior as came in my old Leon, always found the seats uncomfortable. Wound up putting bora leather in it.
Really freshens them up!
80f36b97.jpg

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
Would the TT Comps look OK just painted silver as suggested above, and more importantly would it affect the chance of selling on again?!! Don't think I could be bothered with the upkeep of polished rims on a daily driver, especially with the dirt that this will be subjected to on a regular basis!

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
the standard tt comps are diamond cut and then lacquered so the upkeep is the same as any other rim.

get them polished up and then lacquered sure

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
Anyone ever changed a heater matrix in one of these? Mine is away so was going to DIY it, but a guide for removing the dash might come in handy if there is one!
Had a quick look on the net, but can't find anything.

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
So with 2 juniors now, it got to the stage where a second car would be handy on occasions as my work van didn't lend itself too well to 2 child seats in it.
Had parked this up in January 2015 as it wasn't worth too much and thought it might come in handy some day again.

Pulled it out to check over for MOT, and have spent a fortune getting it back in shape, far more than what I would ever get if i was to sell! In hindsight it would have been cheaper to buy a runabout with a years ticket and drive away at it. At least I know what I have now which gives piece of mind.

Heater matrix had started to leak, so that was a mission to replace, think every bolt was out of the interior. When I had it stripped I investigated the bad water leak it had from the day I got it, usual door seals etc didn't cure it. Turned out the pollen filter box had got butchered in the past and was letting in a lot of water to the cabin.

Replaced all calipers, discs and pads, ABS sensors as it was throwing up faults.

Clutch was starting to slip before I parked it up so have one to go into it, MOT on Thursday so won't have time to fit it before that.

Got 4 new tyres as well as they were badly sized from parked up.

Sitting ready now for Thursday so hope it passes!

Got its first bath in 4 years today!

IMG_20190105_130224430.jpg
IMG_20190105_130224430.jpg
IMG_20190105_134115870.jpg
IMG_20190105_134128024.jpg
IMG_20190105_134142279.jpg
IMG_20190105_134159021.jpg
IMG_20190105_134233747.jpg

Lee

RMS Regular
So with 2 juniors now, it got to the stage where a second car would be handy on occasions as my work van didn't lend itself too well to 2 child seats in it.
Had parked this up in January 2015 as it wasn't worth too much and thought it might come in handy some day again.

Pulled it out to check over for MOT, and have spent a fortune getting it back in shape, far more than what I would ever get if i was to sell! In hindsight it would have been cheaper to buy a runabout with a years ticket and drive away at it. At least I know what I have now which gives piece of mind.

Heater matrix had started to leak, so that was a mission to replace, think every bolt was out of the interior. When I had it stripped I investigated the bad water leak it had from the day I got it, usual door seals etc didn't cure it. Turned out the pollen filter box had got butchered in the past and was letting in a lot of water to the cabin.

Replaced all calipers, discs and pads, ABS sensors as it was throwing up faults.

Clutch was starting to slip before I parked it up so have one to go into it, MOT on Thursday so won't have time to fit it before that.

Got 4 new tyres as well as they were badly sized from parked up.

Sitting ready now for Thursday so hope it passes!

Got its first bath in 4 years today!

View attachment 220602 View attachment 220602 View attachment 220603 View attachment 220605 View attachment 220606 View attachment 220608 View attachment 220617

Perfect daily machine! Any hassle getting it started after 4 years no? Did you prime it in any way by getting the top of the engine wet etc?

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
Perfect daily machine! Any hassle getting it started after 4 years no? Did you prime it in any way by getting the top of the engine wet etc?

I am quite partial to the mark 4 Golf variants, they make perfect dailys as you say. Said it before on here, if I was asked to head to Cork now, I'd be lifting the keys of this over the wife's A4, just think it's a more comfortable place to be.

Started no hassle, had been moved a little in the 4 years inbetween, had it on agricultural tax so it made the odd short journey until I noticed the heater matrix leaking last year.

Biggest hassle was drying out carpets and underlay, and getting rid of the smell! Any second hand carpets I looked at were as bad, so stuck with what I had.

RevT

RMS Regular
150/130 PD’s are the best runabouts available Adrian, best way to get it back ready for the road. Always handy to have something like this sitting at the yard for whenever you’re stuck for a car.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Good to see it in use again Adrian.

For again with the carpet, if you pull the lot out and power wash it they come up like brand new. I did my MK3 one and you should see the colour of the water coming out of it. Does no damage either and actually "refluffs" the fibres so looks better than before

AMG

RMS Regular
OP
AMG
Drives
Anything
To be honest i thought my carpets were finished, was actually moss growing on them they were that damp and wet! Looked at a few breakers but had been sitting outside exposed so were no better than my own anyway.

Took to these with the powerhose and wet vac, definitely wasn't pleasant what came out of them, but they have turned out OK.
Good to see it in use again Adrian.

For again with the carpet, if you pull the lot out and power wash it they come up like brand new. I did my MK3 one and you should see the colour of the water coming out of it. Does no damage either and actually "refluffs" the fibres so looks better than before

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Brilliant! I had been looking at these as a replacement for the Vectra, but couldn’t find one with decent spec. Good to see an auld car being revived as it were.

Reactions: AMG