14.3 volts normal ?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Thunderace

RMS Regular
Drives
z1000sx
hi. when not in use I keep my bike on an optimser 900 usually when I check the condition of the battery it reads 12.6 volts but last couple of days has risen to 14.3 volts this is without turning on the ignition or starting her up. is this telling me it is 100 % charged or is it overcharging ? can.t find the charger handbook. there is a series of blue lights flashing across the top of screen .many thanks

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
It will stop charging at 14.4 so I'd say it's float charging and shouldn't do anything until the voltage is < 12.6

Compare with a multimeter though

Thunderace

RMS Regular
OP
Thunderace
Drives
z1000sx
It will stop charging at 14.4 so I'd say it's float charging and shouldn't do anything until the voltage is < 12.6

Compare with a multimeter though
hi . I was hoping you might reply. so you think all is ok and its not over charging ? strange it always used to sit at 12.6 maybe now its just decided to allow itself to receive a full charge .lol thanks again

Thunderace

RMS Regular
OP
Thunderace
Drives
z1000sx
hi . I was hoping you might reply. so you think all is ok and its not over charging ? strange it always used to sit at 12.6 maybe now its just decided to allow itself to receive a full charge .lol thanks again
sorry . do you mean not to do anything unless it drops below 12.6 ie chuck it in the bin and get a new battery ?

Thunderace

RMS Regular
OP
Thunderace
Drives
z1000sx
so in other words ideally the charge should be 14.3 volts all the time with ignition key off . and only if it drops below 12.6 bin it ? never a problem starting. touch wood. thanks for advice mate

Thunderace

RMS Regular
OP
Thunderace
Drives
z1000sx
just never seen it flash lights and read soo high before with ignition off

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
No. A battery can drop below 12.6 no problem, the charger won't kick in until then.

Doesn't mean the battery is bad

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.