'14 Mk7 Golf R DSG

RyanCudlip

RMS Regular
Hi folks,

Haven't been on here much since getting the car but figured I'd create a thread to document my adventures with it. Better late than never, eh!

I got the car back in May '18 completely stock, apart from a set of Racingline springs that were fitted by the first owner. I'd known of the car from new as it parked across from my workplace everyday where I drooled over what I considered my "perfect spec".

The "as new" spec is as follows:
DSG box
Tornado Red paint,
Pretoria 19" wheels
Vienna leather with heated front seats.

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

First on the list was a pair of carbon mirrors as I passionately hate the aluminium effect factory ones. These were bought from CarbonWurks after following their work on Instagram for a few years. The mirrors were fitted the day they arrived which also turned out to be the same day my personal reg transfer had completed.
IMG_1204.JPG
fullsizeoutput_1f1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1f2.jpeg

Next up, it was time for a lip spoiler. I wanted something both unique and OEM+ looking at the same time. After researching the options on the market, I opted for an SRS-Tec spoiler direct from Germany. For me, the quality is just fantastic and I'm yet to see another Mk7 in NI with the same one, result!
IMG_1724.JPG
IMG_1725.JPG
IMG_1727.JPG

RyanCudlip

RMS Regular
OP
RyanCudlip
I'm well behind on posts for the car so will try and find the pics to catch up over the next few days. Lots of subtle OEM+ mods along with some power and noise to show you all!

Thanks for all the replies so far!

RyanCudlip

RMS Regular
OP
RyanCudlip
After the SRS-tec spoiler was installed last summer, I attended GTINI's Castlewellan show. This has always been my favourite event, and last year's weather combined with the incredible turnout of cars just took it a whole new level.
IMG_1653.JPG

As is always the way after a show, I'd seen other cars that got my imagination going. This led to my next purchase, a TripleR Composites lowline kit comprising of a front splitter, side skirt extensions and a pair of rear spats. Choosing this kit was a similar story to the spoiler extension in that an OEM+ look and build quality were required. (side skirt extensions shown in the 3rd photo below).
IMG_1741.JPG
fullsizeoutput_1e0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1d0.jpeg

Next up, to compliment the TRC kit and spoiler, and to continue my passion hate for chrome, I had the grill trims and front badge surround wrapped in gloss black vinyl. At the same time, I borrowed my brother's Scirocco R line wheels for a few weeks to see how they'd look.
fullsizeoutput_1d7.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1d2.jpeg
IMG_2121.JPG

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Are you running spacers and springs?

I would like to possibly add spacers to mine and drop the ride height just a touch, I haven't really modified a car in a long time so interested to hear what make of parts folks are running, who fitted them and what your overall impression is.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
see this all the time, pretty sure you pass my house on the pipe all the time too. think I passed you and your mate trying to do fly-by photos outside Ballywalter one day aswell!

RyanCudlip

RMS Regular
OP
RyanCudlip
Haven't been on here for a couple of weeks as I've been away with work. I'll hopefully work my way through some of my year worth of mods backlog over the next few days and get it up to date!

RyanCudlip

RMS Regular
OP
RyanCudlip
Are you running spacers and springs?

I would like to possibly add spacers to mine and drop the ride height just a touch, I haven't really modified a car in a long time so interested to hear what make of parts folks are running, who fitted them and what your overall impression is.

Yes mate, I bought the car with Racingline springs already installed and have recently added some 11 and 16mm spacers to the front and rear respectively (pics to follow). The ride is pretty good on this set up, a little firm on the 19" wheels but personally I don't mind. I'll be on the lookout for a deal on coilovers during Black Friday to go a little bit lower and have the ability to play with the damping etc to get my perfect set up.

RyanCudlip

RMS Regular
OP
RyanCudlip
Once I had the car looking close enough to what I wanted, I decided to start on more mechanical mods.

First up was a CSK resonator delete to get the car sounding as I think it should've done from the factory. This was by far the best bang for buck mod I've ever done at around £100 all in!

I then turned to the intake, again for noise more than anything with performance being an added bonus. After browsing the market for weeks upon weeks I decided I wasn't prepared to pay the money for some of the hyped up intakes out there, and decided to go for the "pikey R600" intake mods instead. To achieve this I removed the OEM airbus snow grate, installed a K&N panel filter, and changed the OEM intake pipe and turbo elbow for a Forge Motorsport high flow turbo inlet pipe. This gave me the intake sound I wanted and also provided a slight lift in both performance and throttle response. On top of this, I managed to get a fantastic deal on a turbo muffler delete from Forge Motorsport via a good friend which only added to the intake noise even more!

With my exhaust and intake sorted, I started to get the urge for more power. I decided on a tuning box rather than a map, and went for the 3 channel box from the boys at TMC Motorsport in Dundonald. Daron and Fraszer at TMC looked after me perfectly, they let me decide on the map that went on to the box and fitted it to the car for me too. I can't recommend these guys enough and will definitely have my cars tuned by them in the future. The performance from the TMC box is incredible and feels more like a map than what you'd usually expect from a box, with absolutely none of the usual tuning box related issues in the 9 months I've had it either.

cbr600

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf R
Car looked well sitting waiting to get on the ferry to Scotland on Saturday morning!

Yes mate, I bought the car with Racingline springs already installed and have recently added some 11 and 16mm spacers to the front and rear respectively (pics to follow). The ride is pretty good on this set up, a little firm on the 19" wheels but personally I don't mind. I'll be on the lookout for a deal on coilovers during Black Friday to go a little bit lower and have the ability to play with the damping etc to get my perfect set up.
When you’re looking to off load the Raceline springs give me a shout, would be in the market for a set!