Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
Frode Holte unveils Hyundai i20 for World Rallycross

1391260980.jpg
European Rallycross event winner Frode Holte has unveiled his new Hyundai i20 Supercar for the 2014 season.

The launch took place at the Sorlandets Motorsport Show in Mandal, Norway, on Saturday.

"We have worked with this car for a long time," said Holte.

"No one has built a car like this for Supercar before. We are very excited to start testing for the season."

The Norwegian plans to contest the new World Rallycross Championship, but with the season's budget yet to be finalised, he could focus on the five-round European series that runs within the world championship calendar.

"We have a lot of testing to do before we are ready," said Holte.

"I really want to drive in the world championship, but if it isn't possible we are going to to the European championship, that's for sure."

This season will be the first time Holte has driven anything other than a Volvo in European competition.

He last contested a full European season in 2011, claiming his first overall victory at Essay in France.

Holte drove in the final two events of the 2013 series but did not to make it to the final.

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
Peugeot to enter 2014 World Rallycross with Hansen Motorsport

1391420383.jpg

Peugeot will enter into the newly-formed World Rallycross Championship this year in partnership with multiple-title winning squad Hansen Motorsport.

The team, which will be renamed Peugeot-Hansen, will campaign the French marque's 208 T16 model.

Hansen Motorsport, led by rallycross legend Kenneth Hansen, has won a total of 18 European crowns.

The squad took Russian driver Timur Timerzyanov to the last two European Rallycross titles.

"We are very proud and honoured to be working with Peugeot Sport in this year's FIA World Rallycross Championship," said Hansen.

"We couldn't be more motivated, but we are also acutely aware that the programme comes with a huge responsibility.

"Be sure, though, that we will do everything in our power to make sure Peugeot has no regrets about placing its faith in Hansen Motorsport."

Peugeot has a rich history of success in rallycross, with Finnish drivers Seppo Niittymaki and Matti Alamaki claiming four European titles in a row between 1987 and 1990 at the wheel of the legendary Peugeot 205 T16.

Bruno Famin, Peugeot Sport director, said the growing profile of the discipline had prompted the manufacturer's return.

"We were attracted to rallycross by a long list of factors, including its spectacular side, the big crowds it draws and the cars that are involved," Famin said.

"We naturally sought to strike up a relationship with one of the best teams in the business, namely Hansen Motorsport.

"Team Peugeot-Hansen is starting from scratch for this new championship and we face a fascinating challenge with a calendar of 12 rounds across the world in some of the most strategically important markets for the brand."

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
F1 champion Villeneuve to race in World Rallycross

1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve will race in the FIA's new World Rallycross Championship in 2014 for Albatec Racing
AU1140451.jpg

Jacques Villeneuve will compete in the FIA's new World Rallycross Championship in 2014.

The 1997 F1 World Champion was confirmed as one of Albatec Racing's two drivers for the new season, driving alongside team principal Andy Scott. It's a first foray in to rallycross for Villeneuve, who has mainly been racing in NASCAR and a number of touring car championships since leaving Sauber in 2006.

Looking ahead to the move, Villeneuve said the stature of the new championship proved too enticing to turn down.

“I am really looking forward to entering the rallycross arena with Albatec Racing,” Villeneuve said. “With my previous ice-racing experience, I'm excited about driving sideways in a 600bhp, four-wheel-drive Peugeot 208 over the combination of loose and tarmac surfaces, not to mention the jumps. With the added incentive of it being an FIA World Championship, the opportunity was really too good to miss.

“We had a very successful test in France. I was very impressed with the quality of the team, particularly on the engineering side – it reminded me of my time in F1. The car is just so responsive, the power is amazing and with 600bhp to play with, who wouldn't be excited? I was pleasantly surprised by how reactive the car is to any changes, and I'm very much looking forward to getting into the events.”

The 2014 FIA World Rallycross Championship kicks off at Montalegre in Portugal on the 3rd and 4th May, with Villeneuve set to drive in front of his home fans at Trois-Rivières in Québec on August 7/8.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.