Maranellohouse Defender TD5

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
Drives
Italian
033.JPG

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Is that a step for someone to get up into the passenger side. We've the same side bars on ours and mum has a set of steps on a piece of string she throws out to be able to get in and out, she's a wee short arse

Conor

RMS Regular
You should see the sh*te they are replacing them with, looks like a Nissan cube.

I would imagine it has been decades since the Defender has been financially profitable for Land rover though. And I suppose it's something of an elephant in the room whenever they're trying to promote all the new technology they're pushing in the rest of the range.

It's a surprise the accountants have let it go on this long TBH!

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
I would imagine it has been decades since the Defender has been financially profitable for Land rover though. And I suppose it's something of an elephant in the room whenever they're trying to promote all the new technology they're pushing in the rest of the range.

Valid point I guess. The current defenders are far from cheap though and apart from the engine and loom not a whole heap has changed. Would've thought they were still making a sensible margin on them.

land-rover-dc100-sport.jpg

I doubt your average farmer is going to be rushing out to buy one of these!

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6

Defender sales are up 30% year on year.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
I think you're right there. Lol

I didn't say they weren't selling enough though, I said they were unlikely to be making a profit on them, which your statement would suggest as much. (y)

Why would you assume they weren't profitable though?

Conor

RMS Regular
Why would you assume they weren't profitable though?

The fact they haven't changed very much would suggest they haven't subscribed to modern manufacturing techniques in the same way that cars today are designed for manufacture, where there's a lot of cross platform common engine/drivetrain/chassis sharing, which I'm admittedly presuming the Defender was out on it's own with, hence comparitively expensive to manufacture.

Also that car companies are receiving huge grants to develop more efficient, non-polar bear killing cars which, again, I don't imagine the Defender would've been a part of.

All presumptions of course, but any engineering firm who wants to be efficient doesn't want something that's so different from the rest of the range.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
It's emissions that have killed it.

No idea what my father inlaw will get next.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
It's emissions that have killed it.

No idea what my father inlaw will get next.

Nothing to do with emissions. They're not still running 300TDI lumps lol.

It's pedestrian safety legislation that comes with EU6 rules.