16v K1380 mini, I just couldn't resist ripping it apart again.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
the different ring gear caused a few people issues years ago when they tried to put old starters in place of the verto type

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
the different ring gear caused a few people issues years ago when they tried to put old starters in place of the verto type
Med use an 11 gear pre engaged starter on all their vetro setups made by power lite. Difference I’ve saw is that it meshes fine, but on my transfer housing it would appear it was just catching the ring gear by 2mm. So I can see why it killed the ring gear.

Unfortunate thing is I need that starter for packaging, so I’m going to have to machine some parts to get the full engagement.

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Major milestone yesterday after what has been a pretty mental week of getting things back together after recent misfortune, part delays and waiting on people to come through with tasks left with them pushed us right to end for time to get it done for heading to players at goodwood.

Car finally made it onto the rollers to be tuned by Steven Gault at dyno tune, after some morning workarounds he managed to do what he needed to make it all happen.

Results ended in 133BHP with peak torque at 106 and a really flat torque curve from idle all the way up to 7500rpm. I’m over the moon with that, it’s where it should be. Noise wise the video doesn’t do it justice, sound of it when it passes 3000 all the way to the top is something else. Induction noise on the itbs drowns out the straight cut box which would give an indication to mini minded folks how prominent it is.

6FF5F560-9DA9-49E1-83CA-F281B7562196.jpeg

23F0B61B-F694-4524-96A3-D398038EB335.jpeg

Next up I have a few tweaks to make to the gear selector. And it’s off to fix some paint that bothers me greatly. I’ve left it with Steven and Alan to do a suspension setup as tracking it wouldn’t be something I’d be happy to let the locals in my region take on.

Don’t want to get to far ahead of myself but this week I’m away to look for insurance, sort an Mot and explain to insurance what they are insuring, Wish me luck!

Jayme

Dave..

RMS Regular
Brilliant work and results. I had a Mini 1100 Special back in the early 80’s. I could have only dreamed about performance like yours.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I keep coming back to that Arden 8-port video time after time, it's just class. The Arden head was sold as a Pluspack 'S' for Marina's too.... ^o)

133bhp is fairly good for something that looks tractable from the dyno curve, plenty of area under the torque curve. I take it that it has standard cams in it? It will drive beautifully with that engine, great build!!

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Car looks great, now to get a video like this which seemed to go viral, 400k views is bound to earn a few quid

Even with EFI it's bound to sound great.

and because it's cool...

Would love to hook something up to get the noise. One for the summer!

I keep coming back to that Arden 8-port video time after time, it's just class. The Arden head was sold as a Pluspack 'S' for Marina's too.... ^o)

133bhp is fairly good for something that looks tractable from the dyno curve, plenty of area under the torque curve. I take it that it has standard cams in it? It will drive beautifully with that engine, great build!!

Usable torque was what I wanted. Thinking back 130bhp would have been headline figures on a na car in the mini mags when I started this conversion so I guess it’s nice to achieved a figure like that out of a mini. Cams wise it’s still on lt cams, if you went for the rs cams they made more headline power but would have been well discussed on the forums for not driving well on anything south of 3500. Sc do now what they classify as a fast road / track day cam which is their solution to get these engines into the 150 territory but I’m not sure I could confidently buy any more for them. If I get to that stage il be taking the head to Steven and seeing what he thinks.

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
I'd drive it first, top end numbers aren't always the best thing to aim for. In fact they rarely are for a road car.

Ohh 100% I recon this is more than enough. I just know down the line the tinker bug will move in again..
Can confirm that the noise in person is something else compared to the video.

That first over 3.5k pull resulted in this reaction 😂View attachment 362898

1653828305287.png

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
It will drive great and if you intend going to shows farther afield than local stuff, that will be perfect.

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Been a memorable weekend as far as the build goes. Collected the car last Wednesday after missing out on a trip to Munich due to my passport not turning up, so a plan was hatched to go collect the car and get it home.

9578E51B-5DD2-4816-966C-E118385478FB.jpeg

A full geometry set up appears to have corrected my driveshaft issue, And with that done I wasted no time getting wheel arches back on.

767CAC66-9D45-44FE-B595-19F68EA1FA60.jpeg

Next in the list was to go over the car to try iron out the problems we had witnessed from the dyno. Friday night saw a test run to the end of the road which resulted in it overheating. Saturday was spent going over every hose clamp, fitting and sealing up the cam cover to stop Atleast some of the oil leaks.

And well today so far I’ve managed to put 6 miles on it. Honestly smile is ear to ear, nowhere near It’s full potential but the arse dyno says it’s fast enough. No rush to fully hammer it, that will come in good time.

Monday it’s heading to James at JS_automotive to fix some paint, after that it’s home for a final going over ahead of my stag weekend to players classic, have also lined up a mini mag shoot that weekend which I can’t wait to see published.

Thanks for looking

Jayme

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
Brilliant mate. What a trip it's been. Definitely in the right hands with Steven and Alan, what these guys don't know isn't worth knowing. Car sitting real nice too and driveable after the geometry setup 👍 now time to enjoy it.. Must meet up for a spin and make some extra ITB noise 😁

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Brilliant mate. What a trip it's been. Definitely in the right hands with Steven and Alan, what these guys don't know isn't worth knowing. Car sitting real nice too and driveable after the geometry setup 👍 now time to enjoy it.. Must meet up for a spin and make some extra ITB noise 😁

We are getting the bank back together 😂.

Give me to the tail of the summer and 100% would be brilliant!

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Just finished a weekend at goodwood for players classic. Was a bit of a bucket list goal for me and the opportunity to have a car to show was a proud moment.

First up was inspection from the bus load of German tourists.

47FE9FB8-4588-4DE7-9C90-D9496B0A29F2.jpeg

Parked up in the paddock on the Saturday

D1189CB4-608D-4C1B-BA42-02F53D64DD4B.jpeg

3BADCB02-2A3D-4140-BE4A-E0CD4942A058.jpeg

0E4CCFEE-3BD8-40B5-88A2-3A713D747329.jpeg

And with that done it was time for the pub.

8FD66FBE-C668-48EE-810A-76D46A0041A1.jpeg

Went back for the second day and well, would be rude not to get it out in such lovely countryside

And to top all off Ross shot it for Mini mag, and what better setting than on the track

FFFD0913-F2D3-4BCF-86A0-FFB2A1C57005.jpeg

Cheers for looking

Jayme

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Got a few photos sent through during the week.they where a bit more professional than my offering so felt they where worth the share.

A720222D-7556-43C6-B32F-20058948CD17.jpeg

43F4C68C-A863-482B-88F2-19BEC82B05D0.jpeg

7F7F2F55-1FF5-46CD-873F-0028764E0CF6.jpeg

B5D10E71-6B0E-4A5C-9A0F-96569893D9CE.jpeg

D08B9809-A90E-4B1A-A054-BFF9B509F40E.jpeg

Also didn’t get a chance to show this, I had a momo team steering wheel on and holding the car straight was a challenge. Had mentioned to @cauld1 that I was about to buy a proto tipo and he landed down with a section of wood wheels to try, after a bit of drilling I managed to get this one to fit. Personally I love it, it has a bit of age to it and character which I feel adds to to the appeal in my eyes. When I asked how much his dad wanted for it I was told it wasn’t for sale haha, so I done what any reasonable person does and waited until he got numerous pints in him before asking again, I like to think of it as “alcohol opened his eyes to how at home it was”.

CE7497D9-6639-43F1-9F8A-8B82FCC8C483.jpeg

Hoping to get out to get it out next weekend up to the GTINI show, this week I’ve a few wee things to tune and adjust but I’ve near 50 road miles on it now and that will rise weekly. Small trips are proving great for finding little niggles and things that need looked at.

Thanks for looking jayme

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
@cauld1 definitely has the coolest dad award 😎

Looks awesome buddy. How does it feel? Does it feel quick?

It’s defiantly an experience, if your not overcome by the noise keeping you on edge then getting it to go straight when your pinning it is a fight, although it’s not a full fat diff you can feel the quaife working and steering you. In the corners it’s brilliant (it is a mini I suppose) but the steering and feel is brilliant, Steven and Alan made a brilliant job setting it up, tight bends under throttle it just pulls through them and feels really usable even with being fairly low, Power wise it’s def got some, wouldn’t say it’s the quickest thing by a long shot but it pulls the whole way to the top, and gets quicker and quicker. 90 doesn’t take much getting to,it feels very happy to pull to it with no hassle and feels like it wants to go on effortlessly.

Of course numbers don’t really mean anything compared to just how it feels, genuinely I don’t think I’ve had fun like it and as I get used to it more and build confidence it can only get quicker.

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Gtini held their summer show yesterday so decided to take a run up to catch up with some friends and have a day out.

Didn’t take many photos due to catching up with people.

815E91BE-4117-4534-BB09-691787CCA6A9.jpeg

End of the day we where given car of the show honours which Is a nice honour to take, Lord Hugo Moag gave his paw of approval and was kind enough to pose for a photo.
290AC3E2-3F43-46AB-9812-9BC9E4A99229.jpeg

079377D0-76BF-4448-992B-4C692597CFC9.jpeg

Thanks for looking
Jayme

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
Drives
Daily Hack
Hi @jayme seen this yesterday at the Mini Show down in Portrush. Hats off sir! Its incredible all the attention to detail that's gone into this and the quality is second to none. Was gonna have a chat with you but there was loads of folk about it unsurprisingly and you were chatting away. Beautiful motor mate 👌

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Got all the hand, knee, elbow, arm prints off it from the mini show yet? Some amount of disrespectful eejits about at it who thought nothing of touching everything, even to the point of leaning on the car. The level of sheer ignorance on display was massively annoying and not even my car.

On a brighter note, can safely say this thing is hilarious to sit in and sounds epic.

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Hi @jayme seen this yesterday at the Mini Show down in Portrush. Hats off sir! Its incredible all the attention to detail that's gone into this and the quality is second to none. Was gonna have a chat with you but there was loads of folk about it unsurprisingly and you were chatting away. Beautiful motor mate 👌
Thanks very much mate, yea was a few times it was hard to believe how many people where around. I think it’s safe to say we stood out in the crowd with a few people coming to find us after blipping about in the Saturday night.

There was a right bit of chatting but as Conor says was a struggle to stay calm with how disrespectful people where. You should butted in and introduced yourself.

On a positive note I managed to do some venting on the way home and @cauld1 managed to catch it

And one from the run

FDF98FBD-6B5B-4A78-8C14-ACE86F52B418.jpeg

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
Drives
Daily Hack
Thanks very much mate, yea was a few times it was hard to believe how many people where around. I think it’s safe to say we stood out in the crowd with a few people coming to find us after blipping about in the Saturday night.

There was a right bit of chatting but as Conor says was a struggle to stay calm with how disrespectful people where. You should butted in and introduced yourself.

You were mid convo when I was about then I came back later on a bit and couldn't get a word then either haha lol. Car was definitely Popular. Your's and @miniator two cars are beautiful! Both my favs at the show.

I agree with @cauld1 there was too many folk about not giving a damn about other folks cars. And kids on bikes and scooters riding all through the cars put the shivers up me a time or too. No different to the Classic bike run @ the NW200, I came back to the bike with some bloke sitting on it checking out the riding position etc. I wouldn't have minded much if I was chatting to him and he asked. He swiftly got told where to go