16v K1380 mini, I just couldn't resist ripping it apart again.

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
I said the same @pedenjohn lol cardboard cutouts ftw, work is paying off nicely Jayme, all those nights talking and planning, great to see it taking shape!

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
Glad you've finally taken into this again, time was starting to tick by, but sure at least there's no pressure of a completion date or anything… :p

Love the photo of all the parts spread out across the bed. Manifold looks sweet! But i'll not comment on your stupidly expensive washers!! lol

CAD drawing is very impressive. Few photos of the GT86 at David Greer's for inspiration…

IMG_0480, 2 j.jpg

IMG_0475, 2 j.jpg

IMG_0497, 2 j.jpg

IMG_0498, 2 j.jpg

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Some more parts arrived during the week, nothing to exciting. Billet water outlet and oil return. Then a new oil dipstick as the standard would only get in the way of my throttle bodies and a longer throttle cable.

In other news im going to speak to Stephen wishart on friday evening to talk to him about doing the cage, rear arches and pedal box mount, all being well the plan is to book it in for mid February hoping to have it back by March so I can paint the underside, inner arches and inside again.

On that note I will be looking to get the pedal box ordered now next weekend possibly so Its here.

Thats it for this week

Cheers for looking

Jayme

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
This is great, I love these types of builds that everything is being built/modified for a specific reason. Great attention to detail. Out of interest what sort of power to weight ratio would you be hoping to have ?

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Cheers man, big part of this rebuild for me is the detail and trying to raise the level of the build.

In terms of power to weight ratio, im not going mad with weight saving so if the car without driver weighed in the 680kg region and it made 130 bhp id be content. That should be around the 190bhp/ton region, in the future no doubt there will be cylinder head changes with different cam so that will lead to more power.

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
Cheers man, big part of this rebuild for me is the detail and trying to raise the level of the build.

In terms of power to weight ratio, im not going mad with weight saving so if the car without driver weighed in the 680kg region and it made 130 bhp id be content. That should be around the 190bhp/ton region, in the future no doubt there will be cylinder head changes with different cam so that will lead to more power.

Question is, will it get us to the wedding on time?? :p

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Was up with Wishart motorsport tonight, have the car booked in for a full weld in cage in February , pedal box mount and rear arch tubs.

Also ordered my wilwood pedal box from rally designs. Using this I can have all the braking system components mounted behind the dash which would usually be on display on the bulkhead, this should hep me achieve a very neat and tidy engine bay.

Last edited:

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Stephens a top man for the work, you won't be disappointed.. When does she go in?

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Been a bit bored today so thought id draw up the top engine steady pickup plate for my engine steady, usually get stuff like this laser cut at work but we are very busy atm and there's no time to do it; despite it probably only taking 30-40 secs to cut. Will be sending this away this week to another company along with some gussets and revised seat mounts from the last set i designed.

plate has been drawn to match the billet blanking plate ive bought with the pickup part added on to secure the top engine steady

made a cardboard template to ensure it lines up and the top hole was in the right spot, will be skinning it in carbon fiber so it looks neat and adds some detail to the bay.

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Postman dropped of presents :laughing:

Next plans is to save some money for the cage, I cant see there being much progress with this to the new year, want to wait to the its near time to send it away before chopping the shell up a bit.

Cheers for looking

Jayme

Last edited:

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Got out to the garage today for a wile to do some seam welding.

Tubes welded in to link turrets and cross member

started to get the hang of it near the end, the last picture was the last weld, im happy with it. All the welds have fully penetrated the metal though i may grind the first few down and re-weld it just so all are as uniform as the last. Just need to make some gussets for the sides of the frame and make some mounts for the radiator.

Cheers

Jayme

pedenjohn

RMS Regular
You know, not a bad weld at all if your not doing it every day, I find sometimes it turns out fantastic and sometimes average (and sometimes pretty terrible), but it depends the material your working with, the equipment your working with, how clean it is, how accessible it is etc. While you've seam welded it, and that's likely grand for the area your working on, sometimes a stitch weld is better as it allows the material to flex rather than fracture. What I mean is, what you've done is good, don't feel you need to seam everything though. At least that's the way I was taught. But keep at it, good work!

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
You know, not a bad weld at all if your not doing it every day, I find sometimes it turns out fantastic and sometimes average (and sometimes pretty terrible), but it depends the material your working with, the equipment your working with, how clean it is, how accessible it is etc. While you've seam welded it, and that's likely grand for the area your working on, sometimes a stitch weld is better as it allows the material to flex rather than fracture. What I mean is, what you've done is good, don't feel you need to seam everything though. At least that's the way I was taught. But keep at it, good work!

Cheers John

Always good to hear feedback on work ive carried out. If i was doing it again id probably do what you have suggested and stitched it. As far as the seam welding goes i will probably stop at the frames. Cant see any major advantages, im sure the cage will do more than a good enough job adding strength.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Cage will do more than enough to add strength especially if tied close or to the towers. People lighten the crossmembers by drilling loads of holes in them, so strength there probably isnt so critical anyway

The more welding you do, the more bits that can start to rust again !

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Got my top Engine steady plate cut, needs some tweaking. Not sure if il re-cut them or maybe just file them a bit.

Test fitted it today

I know its only an engine steady assembly, but imo it looks pretty trick. Just need to paint it and skin it in carbon and thats another small job finished.

Jayme

Last edited:

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Postman made another delivery during the week, beginning to think my neighbors and family are getting sick signing for parcels8o|

Ordered a dash from mini sport just after Christmas and it arrived during the week, thing weighs feck all!! even less than the box it was delivered in. Plan is to get it flocked by a friend of a friend. Was going to mount the factory clocks in it but after mocking it up i think it would be far tidier with a small digi dash (Bank balance going to take a hit :sob:)
Autolifers-Jayme-Mini-88.jpg

Got time today to test fit it

Autolifers-Jayme-Mini-89.jpg

Top along the windscreen fits perfectly, the part that hugs the lower dash rail however doesn't fit due to the rail needing lifted 15-20mm, so the grinder and welder will need to come out again.
IMG_3497.JPG

Preperation has also begun for sending it for its cage, originally I wanted to retain a headlining but after a talk with stephen I have decided to remove it to gain some more room, spend a while removing this horrible sound deadening.

Hope to be leaving if for the cage in the next week or 2 but I have to confirm if he is ready, next up is to mock the seats up and where i want the steering wheel

Ive also sold my BBS wheels of my polo so that means engine parts, If all goes well i'll have the conversion kit and the rods or crank fairly soon as , can start getting machine work under way.

Cheers for looking
Jayme

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Its of to cage tomorrow :laughing:

Been flat this week getting it ready,
IMG_0009.JPG

Also removed the rear door pockets and part of the seat.
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG

Has free'd up alot of room in there. pretty scary how flimsy the shell is when you start removing parts.

Next update should be when i get it back