16v K1380 mini, I just couldn't resist ripping it apart again.

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
about 10% as advised, only thing was i used a tad more base coat in it which also helped thin it a bit.

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
So Its time of the year again to be working at this, being honest not much has happened since last October mainly due to buying this for daily duties. I wont bore anyone buy putting a thread up.

scfr.JPG

Parts wise ive been buying away at small misc bits such as bolts, seals and gaskets and the gf played a blinder at crimbo getting me a set of KAD tie bars, if you know anything about minis these are possibly the best about. Should hopefully rule out the annual change on the last sets id been buying.

arms.JPG

progress wise this is where im at currently.

floor.JPG

Plan is for stripped interior with body color floor and contrasting cage. Bulkheads will be trimmed as will inside of rear 1/4's. Will skim a few spots with filler to get it smooth before priming it then surfacing it with high built, sand that back with 500 before base and clear. Want the finish to look as good as exterior.

Currently a bit behind but once i get exams over i will be powering on with it, by end of summer i want to have interior and the bay sprayed, possibily the roof as well. then ship her out to get the rest done. Also want to get another dry build on the front end, had a few re-thinks on how ive planned things. Bottom line is It has to be running for next year, miss having it to take out at weekends to much.

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
So hit a it of a personal target this weekend, and the interior now has a decent coat of epoxy primer. This has been a usy year for me with finishing my part time degree, changing jobs and cars of the mill, so its nice to be ale to put this project back to priority.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Will be giving this to sunday to cure a bit before a quick rub down and 3 coats of high build primer, will then be rubbing it back to get a smooth finish for my top coat.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
So hit a it of a personal target this weekend, and the interior now has a decent coat of epoxy primer. This has been a usy year for me with finishing my part time degree, changing jobs and cars of the mill, so its nice to be ale to put this project back to priority.

View attachment 147924
View attachment 147925

View attachment 147926

View attachment 147927

Will be giving this to sunday to cure a bit before a quick rub down and 3 coats of high build primer, will then be rubbing it back to get a smooth finish for my top coat.

So much space to fill with aluminium :laughing:

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Im thinking aluminium kick plates, wee box to mount all my switches etc ;) was actually making a wee list for you last night lol

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Go the high build primer on yesterday, so satisfying seeing it all in one color. Will let it sit a few days to allow for any shrinkage in the paint then start rubbing it down with 400/500, this should leave a nice smooth surface for my top coat.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Decided to order a fancy medium size gun for the color stage, the cage is a bit tricky to get around so the more compact gun and fluid pot will come in handy. will be ideal for the engine bay as well and help get the finish i desire.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
What colour you going for inside?

Also get plenty of thinners to clean out that new spray gun. Will take it with the remote pot and the hose.

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Will be going for a grey cage, possibly the likes of nardo or yukon. floor and everything else will be red. My uncle has been doing all the spraying, ive just been doing all the prep work, he made the suggestion of using an air brush to detail the holes in the gussets matt black which should be a nice touch.

You any tips for colour sanding? plan is to paint cage 1st, before polishing it and masking it off. Some people say do it 48hours after, others say wait a week. Will be using 2k gloss for inside just for a bit more durability.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Will be going for a grey cage, possibly the likes of nardo or yukon. floor and everything else will be red. My uncle has been doing all the spraying, ive just been doing all the prep work, he made the suggestion of using an air brush to detail the holes in the gussets matt black which should be a nice touch.

You any tips for colour sanding? plan is to paint cage 1st, before polishing it and masking it off. Some people say do it 48hours after, others say wait a week. Will be using 2k gloss for inside just for a bit more durability.
Sounds nice.

It's not something I've done a lot off, I work with clearcoat usually. But anything I've sanded and polished has been the next day, within 16/18hrs of being painted. But that's because it leaves us the day after painting.

With not being done in a spray booth, 24-48hrs will give it plenty of time i think. 2k gloss can be slow enough depending on the brand.

The longer you can leave it before masking it the better because the tape can mark it.

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
So finally got some color on the cage, went for BMC tweed grey, personally i love it.

Took me near 2 months rubbing the high build down to where i was happy, when the paint went down it was definitely worth the effort. Paint went on last weekend before it was rubbed down with 1500 and 2500, then polished up.

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

few areas im going to run the buff over again, Im honestly over the moon with the finish, goes to show you what can be achieved with some patience.

Next up is to clean up some over spray that got on the primer, mask the cage up and lay down some red. plan to paint inside the holes on the gussets black as well just as a small finishing touch.

Glad to get this done as its has really motivated me to push on before it gets to cold to do anymore, but for now im off to Munich for the week :grinning:

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Took me long enough but interior is done, will be giving it a polish once its cured properly

22127403_1909415479073614_1660355748_n.jpg

13616408_1368910116457489_737853431_o (1).jpg

22156847_1909415419073620_230808152_n.jpg

22127360_1909415865740242_1282234142_n.jpg

Last little detail will be to paint the inside of the gusset holes black with the airbrush. Should finish it of nicely.

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
So the tail end of the year has been alot less productive than I wanted, tbh as always life seems to throw itself in the way motivation hasn't just been there as much as I want it to be.

We had a major kick in the balls with the paint, we masked up all the front gussets and sprayed the inside of the dimples satin black. problem though was that the paint we used reacted with the paint that should have been well cured and made a mess. This had resulted in the front cage legs needing repainted and the front foot wells :worried:

With an excuse to get away from paint for a bit i set about dropping the engine 15mm in the frame (all to get the bonnet to close ) this went from a modified subframe to having these made.

21729668_1891267350888427_1221751046_o.jpg

24891702_1982151921799969_1399010379_n.jpg

I then dug my dash out of the roof space and trimmed it

25035092_1982151855133309_1307055798_o.jpg

24891681_1982151871799974_1205860029_n.jpg

stocked the tool box up with plenty of fasteners

23416187_1951028991578929_658545403_n.jpg

23227117_1944768035538358_360463128_n.jpg

and lastly rekindled my love of all things billet in the form of some owens fabrications tower bolt spacers, which are needed due to the subframe being raised into the car, giving a bit of a drop without the suspension geometry taking another hit.

21397340_1885120908169738_336870447_n.jpg

And some goodies from Kent Auto developments in the form of rear camber and toe brackets, lower engine steadies and a limited edition Knob :grinning:

kad.jpg

Currently ive some stitch welds to do on my sub frames and i will be blasting them to get them painted, that will keep me going to the new year until im feeling more enthusiastic and in the mood to paint the engine bay, roof and fix the interior.

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Some phenomenal parts going into this!

You should see the excel sheet ive been working through ;) few items I have be close to blowing half the months wages on but have had to stop myself , could have easily goe a bit mad with kad's black Friday sale.

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Been a busy few weeks, shell is booked for paint. I am working away to finish everything at my end for now.

Last few weeks has been spent sandblasting and painting more or less everything for the underside and sub frames.

Both frames

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4270.jpg

other bits that all got blasted

IMG_4239.JPG

Freshly built hubs and trailing arms, with all new parts supplied by Cian at CC Minis, ball joint droppers fitted from owens fabrication to relocate the lower ball joint down 30mm

IMG_4298.jpg

IMG_4301.JPG

And all the other parts he has supplied from rear brake shoes to grease nipples

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4291.jpg

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
IMG_4329.jpg

IMG_4328.jpg
IMG_4313.jpg

Over the next few weeks I intend on finishing all the under body parts, sandblasting my engine bay and prepping it for paint, prep the boot for paint and rebuilt my sub frames to get the shell rolling and of to painters.

Between now and then i need to sort a bonnet, the steel 1 has became very flimsy and im not happy with it, a composite bonnet will be more rigid making it easier to remove and finish fitting the arches to suit the ride height.

Might also have to get some parts machined if the ride height does not sit how i want it to, but we will cross that bridge when it comes to it.

Last edited:

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
More progress, this time the inner boot got some fresh paint

boot.JPG

Other than this ive spent some time rubbing down and painting all hard brake lines satin black, have some nice black historic motorsport braided lines coming in a recent mini spares order, along with nearly every single bolt to build the suspension, brakes and sub frames. Also have some billet parts coming from dsn classics and a new bonnet.

Next step for me is to get the engine bay blasted and painted, all the frames built back up with brand new parts on order and get it rolling and away to the body shop. next month will be busy.

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi
looks amazing !!

I cant wait to start my mini project, i hope you dont mind a few questions coming your way once i get started haha

jayme

RMS Regular
OP
jayme
Drives
Mini/ A7
Been a busy week with the mini. Finally got my order from mini spares, which meant I was able to start building up the frames for the final time. Only changes I might make is the cone platforms, KAD and MED have some new billet items which would suit my desired ride height more.

IMG_4715.JPG

IMG_4717.JPG

More or less every bolt, washer, flexible brake pipe and bush is new on this car. It gets expensive but its so much cleaner than fitting old rusted parts. The front sub frame is now ready to bolt in once the engine bay is completed, all it needs is the lower arms fitted.

IMG_4722.JPG

Part of the order was a new FG bonnet, last bonnet became to flimsy due to how much i cut out of it. This one is a lot more solid.

IMG_4720.JPG

Initial test was all good, needs some finishing work but im happy to do that providing all the gaps are correct. Front will be held down by some leather straps which ive modified a tad to sit further down the front edge of the bonnet.

IMG_4765.JPG

Rear will be mounted on these little push button fasteners, not cheap but very trick.

IMG_4726.JPG

Will need to make some mounting plates, but that wont be an issue, once ive these mounted I will fit some dowels on the front corners to ensure easy fitting and improved front edge fit.

Lastly this week I got the engine bay blasted ready to be run over with the sander for the primer stage, any filler will be done after that. Thankfully it will need very little filler to make clean and smooth, once that is completed it will be time to high build prime it. Hoping to finish the bay by end of Easter week.

IMG_4767.JPG