450BHP Subaru BRZ STI surprises at New York Auto Show

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PoddyM

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
On the RMS Blog: The BRZ/GT86 collaboration between Toyota and Subaru has been knocking around for a few years now. When it was initially released the car was received well by critics, a relatively affordable sports car that harked back to a simpler time - when enjoyability was more important than top speed.

One criticism some people had of the GT86/BRZ was that the car was slightly underpowered, however to date neither Toyota nor Subaru has released a performance boosted production ready version of the 86. (Read the Full Article Here)

Read the Entire Article Here

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
A complete tease. The BRZ/GT86 is a great looking and driving car, sadly limited by lack of forced induction (and therefore rapid tuning potential), and when a hot clio has more horsepower they really need to up their game.

Cess

RMS Staff
Always kind of thought the whole point of the ZN6 was to make a total drivers car. That is, its not about the power, of lack of.

Never had a drive in one to know if the lack of power is a hindrance. (But would really like to test one, if any Toyota dealer would like to lend RMS one for a feature)

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Always kind of thought the whole point of the ZN6 was to make a total drivers car. That is, its not about the power, of lack of.

Never had a drive in one to know if the lack of power is a hindrance. (But would really like to test one, if any Toyota dealer would like to lend RMS one for a feature)
It's a drivers car no doubt, but horsepower inflation has left it lagging and even though you would have immense fun at a track day in one, being overtaken by all and sundry on the straights would grate on you.

Cess

RMS Staff
Its definitely bucking the trend by not having oodles of horsepower and a brave move in this day and age. But it is a moot point whether bhp is the real be all and end all of driving.

I mean, I'd still rate the Peugeot 205 GTi as one of the most fun cars I ever had and in factory fresh 1.6 form, it had 115 bhp. And I'm sure some of my horses had long escaped.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
Its a great drivers car regardless of supposed lack of grunt.
It's not too bad power wise plenty for everyday driving and you can still hoon about in it. It's still around 200bhp remember
Today's car market is a numbers game and ever increasing electronics that detract from driving and fun.
Fair play to toybaru for bucking the trend.
A cracking wee car. You might get overtaken on the track by majority of cars there but you will be getting out with a massive grin and a rewarding drive. I'll take that any day over a faster lap time

T66 DNP

RMS Regular
Drives
320i M Sport
Could do with about 25-30bhp more to be honest, some more torque. That said, for real-world, on-the-road driving, the BRZ / GT86 is fine. It isn't going to break any land-speed records, but hopefully I will hold on to my licence, points-free for a good while yet. It is a great car to be driving...had a great blast over Craigantlet the other day. The more power you have, the greater the temptation to use it ... more than likely, at all the wrong times!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.