Ards TT & Dundrod TT - Ulster's hidden motorsport heritage

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cess

RMS Staff
On the RMS Blog: The International Tourist Trophy may well be the most prestigious race that you've never heard of. The term Tourist Trophy, or TT for short, has become synonymous with motorbikes and the Isle of Man. But right up to the 1950s, it was the biggest prize in any motor racing formula. What's more, the race was a regular fixture in Northern Ireland, attracting up to half a million spectators at its peak and captivating the world's media. (Read the Full Article Here)

Read the Entire Article Here

Last edited:

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Fascinating, I had no idea there was this much motoring history on my doorstep!

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
I didn't know about the Ards TT but there was an article about Dundrod in Evo one time. Great write up, this new section of RMS has unleashed some good writing!

Gambit

RMS Regular
Yep my dad was always on about the Ards & Dundrod TT and seeing the likes of Fangio etc year in year out! got him a nice wee Ards TT book from @Lyons last year.

they held a closed roads event recreating the Ards TT years ago, maybe 20+ years ago? would like to see it done again possibly for centenary etc

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
I was lucky enough last week to get a look around an unrestored MG K3 Magnette that won numerous Ards TTs, raced in the Mille Miglia and all of the great British tracks of the day.

Last edited:

stuartyvilla

RMS Regular
Drives
182/ 208 GTI
Mawhinneys Butchers on the corner in Comber has I think lots of black and white photos of the TT as it is on the old route, fascinating stuff imo.

PhilM

RMS Regular
Granda was always talking about this race.

sounds like he maybe even played it down, he always was understated!

fantastic to see the course and some info.

that is also roughly the loop i take for a quick drive in the evenings, though im sure the roads are nothing like they are now.

Phil

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Evo magazine tested two cars a few years back at the Dundrod circuit, an XKRS and an SLS AMG if memory serves. Had it not been for that article, I'd not have known about those races. Excellent article, really enjoyed reading that.

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
Cheers for the kind words, chaps. Northern Ireland has some amazing history when you scratch a little!

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
It's amazing to think that the likes of Moss in the Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR as well as Fangio and Nuvolari raced the roads here. The cars drove up to Dundrod circuit from Great Victoria Street via the Grosvenor and Springfield Roads. The traffic was stopped at the junctions to allow the race cars through and avoid them stalling. The only difference between the circuit then and now is the location of the Hairpin bend, now the Lindsay Hairpin but previosuly was the tighter turn a few 100 feet down the B38. To think they did 170mph on that course in those days is absoluely nuts.

I have a friend who as wee boy managed to get Fangio's autograph outside the hotel at Gt. Victoria St Station.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Yep my dad was always on about the Ards & Dundrod TT and seeing the likes of Fangio etc year in year out! got him a nice wee Ards TT book from @Lyons last year.

they held a closed roads event recreating the Ards TT years ago, maybe 20+ years ago? would like to see it done again possibly for centenary etc
they had a celebration run recently enough, like within the last 10-15 years i think

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
In the 1990s I think there was a bit of an anniversary event at Dundrod, I remember that as part of it Fred Frazer's Countach drove around with an F40.

pinto200

RMS Regular
In the 1990s I think there was a bit of an anniversary event at Dundrod, I remember that as part of it Fred Frazer's Countach drove around with an F40.
was it not it run before a stage of the circuit of Ireland that took in part of the dundrod circuit I think. Woodsides F40 I think, I remember a 500E merc too.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yep, remember that. I'd have been the one yelling at the supercars to feck away off till the rally cars come through...;):p
They had a bunch of vintage racers doing 'demo laps' and there was a bloke in a huge Alvis I think who did around 20 laps flat out. We were at Tornagrough just before the hairpin and he came 4 wheel drifting into that corner every time, obviously having a ball and playing to the crowd. Excellent day out, 1993 I think, the year after it snowed for most of it and Frank Meagher won with Kieran O'Neil in third if I remember right, maybe not third but top ten at least..:relieved:

Gambit

RMS Regular
they had a celebration run recently enough, like within the last 10-15 years i think
ards one im thinking off was good few years before that as i remember standing with my dad on comber road at his mates house just before millars forge. young enough not to be interested! 10/15yrs ago id have been all over it

EDIT: http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourplaceandmine/down/A1066286.shtml this talks of an event back in 2003, but it wouldnt have been that one as i was living in Isle of Man back then

Last edited:

TUTE

RMS Regular
Drives
MK4 Golf & B6
was about to comment saying there was one at ards within the last 15 years as I went to it but I see you found a link. always had a great interest in it as my granda had always talked about it and knew a few people that had some of the old cars that raced it hidden in barns and garages.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
ards one im thinking off was good few years before that

newtownards-tt.jpg

Is that you leaning against the sign on the left :party: . But seriously It was run again before 2003, I remember going with my grandfather who was no longer with us in 2003. Actually when was the square done up and the car parking removed from in front of the shops, I think it was around that time

RickyMcG

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much !
Yep this was one massive event and its shocking how few people know anything about it, the council should be on this like a rash. My Dad drove his Frazer Nash at the last celebration run.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
There used to be a memorial stone type thing in Conway Square in Newtownards up to about 8 weeks ago when they started to rejuvenate the square. It sat about 25m from the statue of Blair Mayne close to the entrance of the newsagents. I'm sure it will be back when the square is finished. Had a map of the TT course on it.

Edit: can't find any decent pics of it but it's triangular in shape with an angled top.

This is one side of it:

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.