Panda Cross: 4x4 Memories in New Package

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
On the RMS Blog: When I first heard of the Fiat Panda Cross, I got kind of excited as it reminded me of a car that lived in my street as a child, an early 90’s Panda 4x4. It was one of those cars that most laughed at, but my young eclectic taste kind of fell in love with it and growing up I learnt how fun and capable they were when it came to some rough terrain.

The modern Panda has been available in various guises from a 100bhp sports type model to the tax loving city car with small engines and immensely low emissions and indeed as per its predecessor in 4x4 guise, these latest 4x4 models are just as renowned for their ability and agility off road as the model of old, however this wasn’t enough to keep the taste buds of the mad Italians happy and the blue pill used for the Fiat 500X must have fallen into a Panda 4x4 on its way around the factory.

Not only did this pill as featured in a superb advertising campaign for the 500X increase all of the proportions of the 500, it had very similar effects to the Panda also by increasing ground clearance, wheel size and width as well as tyre profiles, but it increased the width with arch extensions and side mouldings which double as protection. (Read the Full Article Here)

Read the Entire Article Here

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
Superb. Had an '06 panda 4x4 for the last 5 years but just recently changed it for a new shape twin air 4x4, in orange. 60mpg, free tax and very surefooted in the winter, perfect daily driver!

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Superb. Had an '06 panda 4x4 for the last 5 years but just recently changed it for a new shape twin air 4x4, in orange. 60mpg, free tax and very surefooted in the winter, perfect daily driver!
Twin Air being the 900cc engine as per what I drove? If so, how the hell do you get 60mpg?

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
Twin Air being the 900cc engine as per what I drove? If so, how the hell do you get 60mpg?

Yep thats the one. They're very sensitive to how they're driven, you need to keep the rpm below 2500 and the mpg rockets. Giving it a bit of stick, which is easy to do as they rev very cleanly, would have it down to mid 30's!

mw8hsw.jpg

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
LOVE IT !

And that explains it, they are gutless without being revved i found and with the ECO mode active darn right dangerous when pulling out of junctions lol

Over a week of driving I couldn't even see 40mpg and that wasn't being harsh, just keeping with the flow of the traffic

However, i'd have one tomorrow as it was so much fun! Handle so well on the road, i was amazed

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
They're fantastic off road too due to the light weight. I got my old one basically to the top of the cliffs at Bon glass. New one even has a locking diff. Only thing will ever stop it is ground clearance, but they're well protected underneath so you can push on without too much worry.

It's also fun sailing last beached x5's on 20" summer tyres. :p

1zl7o7d.jpg

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Awesome, i found the exhaust to snag a little as it hung low, but yes they are so much fun off road, and as they are so narrow you can drive along the peaks of ruts rather than in them :grinning:

If i owned one, i'd have an alloy sheet made for the full underside and not worry a thing, Walter at clandeboye took it places his defender would have had bother due to its weight, the panda cross skipped along with a few putts from the twin air in 2nd gear without a single fuss

do you mind i i share that image of yours on social media?

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
@lightning after one of the press guys in Fiat HQ seen your mountain image his reply "That's fantastic. And they say people will never take their 4X4s off road"

much appreciated all round

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Would loved to have seen it going round clandeboye.

I assume you didn't take it up or down the steep hill with water trap at the bottom?

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Would loved to have seen it going round clandeboye.

I assume you didn't take it up or down the steep hill with water trap at the bottom?

The trails into there was way too rough and cut up by the tractors so didn't risk damaging the car and rightly so considering a discovery sport struggled to make it down the path to it never mind make it up the hill.

The panda was on millisle beach though lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.