Before FaceTube: Climb Dance

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
On the RMS Blog: Finn Ari Vatanen, World Rally Champion, competing in the early 80s Group-B rallying era of turbocharged excess, takes a Peugeot 405 T-16 up the legendary Pikes Peak Hill Climb in 1988 as part of this spectacular short film.

The 405 is a two door, light weight, 500bhp man versus machine affair, with the course unrelenting and rather dangerous in places. (Read the Full Article Here)

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
My favourite video of all time. Absolute cracker.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Absolutely love this video.

Ari is 100% my hero, I count myself lucky that I've even been able to meet him.

Such a man behind the wheel. It was flat out or broke attitude for Ari and he won plenty but he still managed to remain extremely humble and gracious. Such an incredible man.

A man that is very fond of Ireland too, loads of victories here, some massive accidents too and he is still a patron of the Donegal motor club and travels here regularly.

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
I preferred the Jazzy piano of the original - the one in my article looks a lot better as its remastered but lost the quirky 80s appeal a bit!

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
I assumed it was the original and didnt even watch it :oops:.

Here is another really famous clip of Ari on the '83 Manx in a Manta 400. Shows both Ari's style (Leading the rally but still flat out and clipping a wall on the inside) and his skill (getting an out of control Manta 400 with a tyre off the rim through a solid concrete manx cattle grid at well over a ton).

NI's very own Terry Harryman on the notes muttering the infamous phrase "oh, dear god" at about 30 seconds in.

Edit @Rocko beat me to it ffs

Last edited:
Reactions: dub

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Best racing film ever, period, full stop (y) :cool:

Never gets old.

And from when it was still proper gravel too, none of this modern all-tarmac nonsense :innocent:

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
I think this video was the reward for completing V-Rally 2 on the PS2 or something, classic video!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.