Kevin McGahern's Fast & Furious - Ireland's Car Culture under the spotlight

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cess

RMS Staff
On the RMS Blog: Dublin-based comedian, Kevin McGahern puts Ireland's car culture under the spotlight for the latest "Reality Bites' documentary on RTE 2.  The show promises to take us to the heart of Ireland's modified car scene by getting inside the hearts and minds of the people who's world revolves around all things automotive.

In an attempt to understand why many young people choose to spend substantial money on their cars, the Republic of Telly front man attends car park meets to look at the motors on show and witnesses a diffing session. (Read the Full Article Here)

Read the Entire Article Here

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
It will always be skewed in the condemnment of it.

To be fair as I get older I can see why the likes of the Lough Shore etc was annoying for locals but we were just having good fun. Would be near a "diff" anymore. However I think the RMS BBQ's and Autolifers events, cars and coffee meets etc are a good example of more mature and responsible car enthusiasts

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
I'm intrigued by this programme and will be interested to see how it turns out. Ireland has had a long history of back-road japery and it's how many started before moving into motorsport. However, if the programme paints every person that takes an interest in cars as some mad-cap, street racing, tarmac terrorist, as it has been inferred, then that's another issue.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Saw the ad for this and must give it a watch. Looks interesting.

It does irritate me slightly though that whenever a show like this airs about car culture in the UK/Ireland, it's almost always promoted with footage or photos of a car surrounded by tyre smoke.

It's become the norm that car enthusiasts on a whole are symbolised by this image of diffing/tyre smoke and it's associations with hooliganism by anyone who isn't into cars. Diffing is only one small part of the whole car culture in Ireland - there's the Cars & Coffee meets as well, the trackdays, the owners club get togethers, etc. But I guess footage of car enthusiasts having a relaxed get together or putting their cars through their paces legally on track will never look as sensational.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
Seen this advertised last night on RTE and set it to record.

More to the point, is that Starlet GT above rear wheel drive?!

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
it will shed yet more light on section of the community, that section is generally young,dumb and full of cum. I doubt ill last more than five minutes. (thats what she said)

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
Think so @gary87

Great points @Gaz and I agree. RTE look to have went for the stereotype option and struck gold. I suspect they found it quite easy to get a group of impressionable young lads together who were all to eager to perform on camera and pretend that Ireland is the street racing capital of the world. That's way better TV than a load of beards drinking hot beverages and discussing the merits of track day tyre compounds.

Kevin McGahern is quite the mickey taker in his normal role, so I suspect he won't go easy on people. Anyway, the proof will be tonight!

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
They were but that one above is a FWD model. Unless it's been converted by the wonders of PhotoShopDriveTrainConversions (Tm).

Bronk

RMS Regular
They were but that one above is a FWD model. Unless it's been converted by the wonders of PhotoShopDriveTrainConversions (Tm).

if i remember correctly gaz this one is actually RWD, seen it up at the donegal rally diffing at the king of the cone when we called in for a nosey

Reactions: Gaz

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
its proper rear wheel drive. There's videos of it on YouTube. Diffing. With an Omega...

Edit: Snap @Loggie. Beaten me to it. Looks a tidy car all the same.

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
Ha! So true @davecoupe

Paddy McGrath has engaged in a bit of an exchange with Kevin McGahern on Twitter this afternoon. In particular, Paddy was keen to pin him on why the show chose to feature illegal activity and didn't chose to feature the biggest car event in Ireland: drifting.

Kevin said they did go to a legal event - King of the Cone in Donegal. :-/

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
This looks like it was filmed over a decade ago. So far: car dealer selling 90s Glanzas (liked the rwd one), a drag race featuring an E39 and E46 of the likely 2 litre variant and a diffing Altezza.

Reminds me of a cruise in 2003.

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
Most 'twincam' owners i know tonight... look like this lol...

520613.jpg

It is what it is... the only good thing was atleast our AE86 Trackday left a good impression on Kevin in the end... you could tell the difference!
They chose to show alot of other rubbish, but then again, it's all about tv, ratings, and creating a stir... glad alot of us didn't agree to interviews, lol

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Most 'twincam' owners i know tonight... look like this lol...

520613.jpg

It is what it is... the only good thing was atleast our AE86 Trackday left a good impression on Kevin in the end... you could tell the difference!
They chose to show alot of other rubbish, but then again, it's all about tv, ratings, and creating a stir... glad alot of us didn't agree to interviews, lol
You know how this works Chris. Anyone making a production who isn't actually a 'petrolhead' themselves I guess will never actually get it.
I must say though, two two lads from Cavan spoke well and very sensible I thought

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
any links for the full episode? rte player doesn't allow me to see it based on my location apparently

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
any links for the full episode? rte player doesn't allow me to see it based on my location apparently
It's a PITA that :worried: if you have sky you can get it again. Although I imagine it will prob be repeated Ross

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.