So you want to go to the Nürburgring? From NI to the Green Hell

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
On the RMS Blog: Before I start, I really should warn you: the 'ring is an enthralling, exciting, dangerous, scary and manic place.  Fourteen miles of circuit in the heart of the German countryside that combines the best of most worldwide race tracks into one enormously long, adrenaline filled experience.  

You could be sitting flat out beside a family saloon (sight seeing I might add - they probably saw a great review on Tripadvisor), or equally by a BMW test driver as they waft past in the latest M5 'ring taxi. (Read the Full Article Here)

Read the Entire Article Here

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
You should probably add a caveat that one trip to the 'ring will more than likely result in a wallet-emptying habit of a life time:
  • You're planning the the logistics for next trip on the ferry home from the last.
  • You check out the track side CCTV camera footage at 11:28pm on a Thursday evening 'just to see what's happening.....'
  • You've watched all the TF highlight videos on YouTube at least once and subscribe to them all.
  • The car no longer gets OEM spec stuff come service time. Now that it's a 'ring veteran it gets upgraded tarty bits... like drilled and grooved brakes.
  • The only way to cook a steak is on a stone. No other method is manly enough.
  • You consider Bridge to Gantry time to be a useful and relateable measuring system.
  • Cars driving about with 'ring stickers on from eBay that probably have "never been" get a bit of a slagging.
  • When you're checking out used cars in the classifieds one major item of consideration is it's 'ring lapping ability.

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
You should probably add a caveat that one trip to the 'ring will more than likely result in a wallet-emptying habit of a life time:
  • You're planning the the logistics for next trip on the ferry home from the last.
  • You check out the track side CCTV camera footage at 11:28pm on a Thursday evening 'just to see what's happening.....'
  • You've watched all the TF highlight videos on YouTube at least once and subscribe to them all.
  • The car no longer gets OEM spec stuff come service time. Now that it's a 'ring veteran it gets upgraded tarty bits... like drilled and grooved brakes.
  • The only way to cook a steak is on a stone. No other method is manly enough.
  • You consider Bridge to Gantry time to be a useful and relateable measuring system.
  • Cars driving about with 'ring stickers on from eBay that probably have "never been" get a bit of a slagging.
  • When you're checking out used cars in the classifieds one major item of consideration is it's 'ring lapping ability.
Fantastic. Spoken like a true addict.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
LOL!!

"My most memorable experience was passing a coach full of octogenarians before being ripped a new one by a pursuing Ariel Atom."

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Brilliant read! I really must start saving to get over there sometime, even if it is in 16 years when the twins are leaving home lol!

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Enjoyed reading. I love how nearly everyone who goes does near the same thing. Pistonklaus was awesome.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Enjoyed reading. I love how nearly everyone who goes does near the same thing. Pistonklaus was awesome.

Gotta admit to being some sort of deviant myself - I wasn't feeling the Pistonklaus. It was good to be there once, and tick off the bucket list, but I much prefer quiet, fine dining as opposed to being crammed in at a table with what was on the face of it, overpriced, plain food in the company of some very noisy people! Having said that, the steaks were first class, the burnt flesh smell we got used to after a few minutes..........it reduced once we put the flames out on Brian's a$$. :p

The experience, for me, didn't form an addiction at all, but given that I was to be bringing my newly-purchased Jag S-Type 4.0 V8 Supercharger, which the seller decided to keep in the end - I wasn't exactly "charged" up for the visit in a rental Kuga (which was filled with RMS'ers for a short gravel rally on the return from the Pitonklause).

Next time, I'll be prepared with something mental (jag charger), dangerous (micra turbo) or purely lunatic (thinking about another TVR) and have a hooley round the track a few times. Though as @Coog describes - it may just form an expensive addiction.

Til that time happens, I've realized after a lap holding my ringpiece tight in the passenger side of Cooper's torque-machine, I really, really can't drive and have to take some lessons.
D
cooper n paddy.jpg
jonny n coog.jpg

Last edited:

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Aye dead on, Del...

See ye next year ;)

Quite Possibly Craig - as I said - I didn't get to drive anywhere other than the gravel lane to the Renn Hotel ;)
The addiction is ready, waiting for the first day I sit on the driver's side and plant the foot......

If only I had a Mk1 MX-5 to practice in...... ah well

Last edited:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I went years ago (2002) when I worked in Germany and loved it. It does tend to be a bit of a 'religious' experience for anyone who's a bit of a petrolhead. Through a complete lack of forward planning I went on a 'Ferrari Days' weekend that was happening at the main circuit so there were no hotels available anywhere locally and I ended up sleeping in the car at a layby between the petrol station and the main circuit entrance. A Noble M400 was drag racing allcomers through till around 3am so that sorted the evening's entertainment with F40's, 355's and 550's all having a go with the (presumably tuned) M400 winning them all as far as I could see.
Got my laps in on Sunday morning and took a break between each one to let both me and the car cool down. Took a good while to learn the circuit in sections and then arriving at each section faster than the last realising that I hadn't driven that section this fast earlier in the morning. Class.
The circuit got busy in the afternoon and the track very crowded so I hung about and soaked up the atmosphere but clean laps were nigh on impossible so I sloped off back up to Berlin on the Autobahn. Just north on Bonn when I was making progress at around 140mph, I got flashed over and passed by a 575M and a Murcilago going pretty much full tilt. I was still doing 140 and they passed me like I was standing still at the side of a motorway. Awesome.

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
Though as he took no barriers out, nor left a huge mess on the track, he's only an associate member! Didn't you cause more damage with a pair of pliers @Coog?
The guys in rent4ring confirmed full membership as @Paddy_R can confirm lol! Tell ya what tho... The "wreck the place" Bongard membership is something I could do without!!!!

@Coog was surgical with those pliers!!!:laughing: lol!

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Yep @Arfur is a fully paid up member of the Bongard club. Well The AA paid the membership fee but he's still a member!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.