Uber Belfast coming 11th December 2015

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
On the 11th December.

Discuss!

Do you think it'll last? I can't see the black taxis especially "allowing" it.

Any taxi drivers in Belfast on here? How do you think it's going to affect you?

I've only used it the once, in Budapest. To be honest it was great, took away all the language barrier stuff, there was no chance of being ripped off as the price was agreed and paid in advance, and it was really handy.

johnm

RMS Regular
I've had it downloaded on my phone for about a month now waiting on it.
I cant wait till it comes on and stops this stupid mad rush for taxi's on a weekend.

me - are you booked?
taxi driver - yes
me - give you an extra tenner
TD - aye alright
me - absolute chancer who doesnt really give a sh*t and is just out to get as much as he can.

Ok, that is sort of fair enough but it does my tits in trying to get one at the weekend.

spaceh0pper

RMS Regular
Drives
Pedestrian
I use it all the time here in London, and have used it all over - Paris, Beijing, the US, Delhi. It's fantastic.

Belfast is a bit small though, and I wonder if there will be enough critical mass of drivers where you need them and when, to make it work. It will be great if it does. No more wandering up the Lisburn road at 4am on New Year's morning because you can't get a joe baxi.

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Epic banter will be had with the bais for sure!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
But yeah be interesting!! Used UBER in LA in the States and it was great!! So easy to get a cab

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
How do you become an uber driver? Do you need taxi insurance etc?

midgelfc

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 630D GT
I've used it in the states a few times, last time was in New Orleans, which is a pretty big city, but there were hardly any available.

Last time i used it was in Dublin a few months ago and it was awesome, what surprised me there was it was normal taxi guys turning up, so as well as being an official Dublin city taxi the guy was also an Uber driver.

If taxi men in Belfast can do the same thing then i don't know why they wouldn't want to, they'll have access to an entire new customer base and can do it inbetween depo jobs.

I hate taxi drivers, both as a road user and being a passenger, as @johnm says, at the end of the night all they're interested in is picking up drunk girls, unless you're willing to pay over the odds for a fair.

midgelfc

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 630D GT
How do you become an uber driver? Do you need taxi insurance etc?
Yeah you need a private hire taxi license and be fully insured. Also i'm pretty sure Uber also have a set of rules as well, your car has to be only a few years old etc

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Reacting to the news FonaCab tweeted: "Their prices won't be any cheaper, most likely more expensive due to drivers losing a service fe (sic)."

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The only benefits I can think of is at peak times when it's hard to get a taxi, and possibly for awkward journeys where you have an uber driver in the same street/village looking to do a couple of runs for a few quid on a quiet Saturday night. For round town I'd probably still prefer to go with a known company tbh

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Such a time to be alive.

Hit up the tinder app and arrange a date, buy some new gear on the eBay app, track it on the parcel force app, get all dressed up in your new clobber and book a table at that fancy resteraunt for you and the possible new wife on the bookatable app. Book a taxi there on the Uber app and use your maps app to make sure you are going to the right place.

When you get there check in on your Facebook app, use your Twitter app to tweet the chef on how good the food was, upload a picture of your meal on your Instagram app, use the uber app to get a taxi home and the whatsapp app to brag to your mates about getting the ride.

..... but we don't have tapatalk on RMS.

Last edited:

Conor

RMS Regular
It's bloody brilliant. Use it all the time in the US, considerably cheaper than their yellow cabs, all the big cities have loads of them about, the cars are generally pretty nice, everything is through the app so no need to have cash on you, straight to the credit card regardless of what country your in.

I fear for it in Belfast though. It will take a brave man to do it considering most of the Black Cab drivers 'hobbies'.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Uber are great. When im away I never use anything else.
N.I taxi drivers and companies are about to get a serious kick up the ass !

If there are any taxi drivers on here, would you not consider becoming an uber driver? I'd be keen to here a point of view from someone already doing the job @jimcupra ?

mmc01

RMS Regular
I was in Milan with work the day uber was launched in Italy.

Taxi drivers seemed to be a little upset outside the police station.

I'd imagine the same thing will happen here.

image.jpeg

Father Stack

RMS Regular
OP
Father Stack
Drives
VRS
According to the Belfast Telegraph (sorry for quoting it, it was the only source I could find this on)

"An online invitation has appeared for Northern Ireland's taxi drivers to attend an 'information session' on Friday, December 4, at the Fitzwilliam Hotel. There are three sessions which run from 11am to 12noon, 2pm to 3pm, and 4pm to 5pm."

This looks like it's being run by Uber. Could be interesting to see how that goes!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.