Versatile Discovery 4 on Test

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
On the RMS Blog: The Discovery 4 looks like a pretty menacing sight due to its height and length however it is nothing more than a big car, in fact on a brisk run from Ballyhalbert to Groomsport in the rain I was pleasantly shocked at just how well this 4x4 handles, I would dare to say better than some big cars on the roads these days and I will admit it cornered better than my eight year old German estate car!

Considering the weight of this Land Rover, this is testament to the air suspension and chassis strength which only really comes into itself when away from the tarmac and onto the rough stuff where the Terrain Response system comes to fruition.

This system can be activated via a button in front of the gear selector knob and allows you to choose the best setting for the terrain you are about to cross. (Read the Full Article Here)

Read the Entire Article Here

KevM

RMS Regular
Not that I am aware of, the Disco Sport isn't a work vehicle capable of heavy off road use, more of a well speced nice looking people carrier.

Read my thoughts on the Sport here - Land Rover: A Sporting Discovery - RMS

I'm not even that sure of the looks of the Disco Sport, the front is Evoque (good), the rear is Kia Picanto (mess). I hope this never becomes 'the future' of Landrover...

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
I'm not even that sure of the looks of the Disco Sport, the front is Evoque (good), the rear is Kia Picanto (mess). I hope this never becomes 'the future' of Landrover...
As a leisure vehicle it's bang on i feel, i like the look of it and the way it drove on the road but it's not a work vehicle which is what LR's are about to me, jeepers even seen a brand new Rangie pulling a cattle trailer the other day

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Lovely machines and I really like them, but it's been a long time since any Discovery has been capable of proper 'heavy offroad' use IMO. First and last time a newish Disco went offroading with us it literally fell to pieces and then got stuck and it was a bit of a disaster to recover due to the weight. The old ones had their issues and were not great to drive but they did (and still do) the offroad thing very well (when they're working). The new ones do what they're designed to do very well though, no doubt about it.

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Lovely machines and I really like them, but it's been a long time since any Discovery has been capable of proper 'heavy offroad' use IMO. First and last time a newish Disco went offroading with us it literally fell to pieces and then got stuck and it was a bit of a disaster to recover due to the weight. The old ones had their issues and were not great to drive but they did (and still do) the offroad thing very well (when they're working). The new ones do what they're designed to do very well though, no doubt about it.
with proper tyres fitted these are just about as capable as a defender

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
with proper tyres fitted these are just about as capable as a defender

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. A defender is lighter, has more clearance and has better approach and departure angles. All the switches and gadgets (or tyres for that matter) in the world won't help when you get the belly or bumpers hung up on something.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
brilliant review again @Graham

next time you're going Clandeboye, let me know, as I'd love to come along in my own, and have a play and a few nice photos!!!

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Lovely looking jeep. When driving behind a 3/4 I can never get over how low the rear suspension arms sit; look like the first thing to be a liability off road or even in heavy snow as most 4x4s will go until the snow is catching the underside of the vehicle. My touareg would have better clearance and I wouldnt consider it an off roader at all.

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
Lovely looking jeep. When driving behind a 3/4 I can never get over how low the rear suspension arms sit; look like the first thing to be a liability off road or even in heavy snow as most 4x4s will go until the snow is catching the underside of the vehicle. My touareg would have better clearance and I wouldnt consider it an off roader at all.
Get one into an off road course, you will be shocked!

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo

Mine didn't fall to pieces when I was off roading with you! Admittedly i did get stuck but I put that down to the driver rather than machine. I love mine and have looked a few times to replace it but nothing else seemed to tick as many boxes. The disco is incredibly competent off road and on road. They are on run out production now with only 2 models available prior to the new Disco 5 next year.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Wasn't yours I was talking about. Some fella acting billy big balls almost destroyed his at an event a couple of years ago and ended up going home with a fair bit of damage to vehicle and ego. I'd actually forgot about yours on the outing with us. For sure that was a more thorough testing ground than a preset route round Todds or Clandeboye and showed us all what they can do. It still got stuck though... But then so did most of the rest of us lol

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Get one into an off road course, you will be shocked!

I was fortunate enough to get taken around the LR off road course after a factory visit in an evogue and saw the disco go round as well. I know nothing about proper off roading (bar growing up in John Deere's on the farm) and was genuinely shocked at what they could do including depth of water and inclines.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Wasn't yours I was talking about. Some fella acting billy big balls almost destroyed his at an event a couple of years ago and ended up going home with a fair bit of damage to vehicle and ego. I'd actually forgot about yours on the outing with us. For sure that was a more thorough testing ground than a preset route round Todds or Clandeboye and showed us all what they can do. It still got stuck though... But then so did most of the rest of us lol

yeah, drivers really let down any vehicle. Even the wee jimney needed a pull out...by a discovery :p

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Certainly did lol

Though I was the only one to tackle a few bits that no-one else would even consider!

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
then again if your disco was worth 500 quid you'd have had a go too :p

Also with these things, the auto box works better off road

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
And got even more stuck :p

Agree about the auto box. Brilliant for offroading, towing and everything else (y)

Dave..

RMS Regular
We'll have to agree to disagree on that. A defender is lighter, has more clearance and has better approach and departure angles. All the switches and gadgets (or tyres for that matter) in the world won't help when you get the belly or bumpers hung up on something.

I agree, we spent a day towing a few discos out of the bogs at the foot of Slemish.
Far too heavy and too many electronic aids.
Probably fine on a stoney path.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Do love a disco. Has to be a fully loaded HSE though ! J&F built a few crackers with all the kit on them. I looked for ages for a good black HSE 3 with low miles before I bought the VXR8 but couldn't get the right car anywhere.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.