New regulations approved in Stormont for new drivers

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Why does it still say proposed changes ?

Last comment is a bit random

bellends said:
you will have to take a remedial course if, as a new driver, you are at risk of having your licence revoked because you have accumulated six or more penalty points

R to N plates seem a bit stupid, as does 2 years.

Unless someone in government bought the rights to "N" plates and is looking a few quid selling them

jimcupra

RMS Regular
Driving on motorways is a great idea as a learner. First time I drove on a motorway I had passed my test 2 days. I near shat myself, 45mph with everything overtaking me. I was an accident waiting to happen. After that I just took the r plates down before going on a motorway.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Overall it isn't a bad idea. I still don't agree with barring under 21's from being passengers, a tool is going to be a tool eventually, whether people are egging them on or not.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
  • you will be able to get a provisional licence at age 16 and a half
  • you will need to have a provisional licence for at least a year before you can sit your first practical test
  • you will not be able to get a full licence before you are 17 and a half
Does this mean you won't be allowed a provisional for a moped/tractor until you're 16.5?
What is the meaning behind not allowing people to be tested before 17.5? Being a safe/good driver is about skill and perception, age shouldn't be such a major factor.

For example;
Scenario 1: Someone who gets their provisional at 16. Lives in the city and doesn't need a car until they leave school at 18. Does a couple of lessons, flukes the test and is now on the road with very little experience.

Scenario 2: Person applies for provisional at 16.5, aces their theory at 17 and does weekly lessons for 3 months. Does multiple mock practical tests and consistently aces them. Needs a car for a new job they have landed but isn't allowed to take the full test for another 3 months.

Stupid system. Not trying to brag at all but at 17 and 1 week old I was a better driver than nearly all of the other people in my school year at the time. There were people who had been driving for over a year and after one trip in the car with them I would never get in the car with them again (and I can be a hallion myself).

Just make it so the test accurately represents real life driving and situations, rather than try to make it less accessible.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Dumping the R plate or increasing the speed to 50 or 60 on a motorway would be ideal for them

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
Is there anything in this amendment about lessons on a skid pan or classes on what actually happens in an RTC?

Teaching people how to prevent things going wrong in a car and how to react if they do go wrong would surely be better than telling them you can't pass until you are 17 and a half. Car control needs to be taught over here.

Also showing young adults how a car accident can affect their life and the lives of people around them would surely make some of them wise up.

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
Oh and how about teaching first time drivers how to drive in adverse conditions such as snow and ice? I doubt many people understand that using gears to slow you down on ice is far more effective than standing on the brakes.

RevT

RMS Regular
The rules about who you can carry are a joke to be honest. It'll not be enforced, well not in an area where police have better things to be at. Allowing up to normal speed limits is brilliant but I think the 'N' plates for one year is long enough.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
I don't see the point of N plates at all tbh. You're as likely, to make a stupid move in your 40's as you are in your first week of driving.
It made sense with R plates due to the speed difference but I see no purpose now.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Oh and how about teaching first time drivers how to drive in adverse conditions such as snow and ice? I doubt many people understand that using gears to slow you down on ice is far more effective than standing on the brakes.
It constantly amazes me watching people trying to drive in snow. Where I live, we get a lot of snow and we don't get gritters or ploughs near us. (It's a development) Anytime it's like that, you'd see someone making a run up the street, wheels spinning and then they get stuck, still spinning the wheels. Morons.

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
@Crow555 I live on a hill and anytime it snows I love standing watching everyone try to get up our hill past the house. It's hilarious because there is a speedbump just up from our driveway and as soon as the morons spinning their wheels hit it they come to a stop, wheels still spinning, and then slide backward back down the hill! Lol!

I love when they have just about gave up and got out of my way and I'll calmly reverse out of the driveway and then up the hill and away just using the clutch, no throttle at all. Their expressions are priceless! :p

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I probably should point out that our street is largely flat. As you say, slow, steady, measured controls are how you deal with snow.

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
Exactly, but 90% of drivers out there don't know this and the reason is a lack of decent driving education.

I'll not lie, after I passed my test I wasn't very confident and wasn't much good at actual driving. My Dad taught me how to drive properly. Taught me about coming down through the gears when braking (was never taught this by my instructor), taught me all about countersteering, left foot braking, heal-toeing and how to drive in bad conditions.

Never told me how to do a handbrake turn though, I had figure that out by myself! :p

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I'd love to learn about heal-toe. Just worried I'd wreck the clutch or gearbox trying it.

Totally agree though, the test as it was, was completely inadequate for the majority of daily driving. When I passed, I knew how to move the car, but that's really when I started learning. I actually wrote to MLAs a few years back recommending that the driving test be changed to something similar to what is listed above. I'm not certain they took any heed though.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Is this your car? :laughing:
16821.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.