VW Amarok

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
I've been after one of these for quite a while and finally ended up with a MY2013 Amarok Trendline 180 Manual. I don't have any original photos but it came a fairly good spec - Sand Biege metallic, 18" Durban wheels, front and rear parking sensors, factory satnav and Bluetooth, cornering lights and an Armadillo roll top and chrome side bars.

I always liked the Dark Label special edition so got to work adding a few things to take mine to a similar look. Got the wheels and side bars powder coated black, and a genuine VW black roll bar to match. Blacked the chrome and mirrors with plastidip and got some decals made up with Amarok instead of Dark Label. Inside I've added a few things too - genuine VW rear view camera for hooking into trailers, cup holder and powered iPhone holder, and genuine rubber mats. Got my plate on and here's how it all turned out:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Great looking big wagon.

She auto or manual?

G Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
AI550 Evo IX GT
Great motor I've 42k on mine already (y) looking a set of off road wheels soon when I wear these ones off it lol

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
Went for a manual @Nicky , only slight criticism is that it can be a bit notchy but otherwise it's well geared and drives very similar to a car. Think the manual is better mpg too. I'm getting 31mpg on average over about 6 tanks using my iPhone app rather than the on board computer. It's miles and miles ahead in terms of quality, off roading and towing compared to my 06 Navara which really was quite horrible by comparison.

Whats the score with yours @G Mac , spec etc?

Jason

RMS Regular
Looks well Rob! I was looking to see if there were any suitable for you but nothing came up, i'm looking a highline for myself in auto, quite fancy the bronze.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
Such a great looking pick up and the quality of finish compared to the usual choices is a real step up. I think they are a bit under powered though considering the size of them, especially when VW has V6 TDI's in other VAG Group machines!

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
I wouldn't really want a V6 personally but I agree it would be an engine that could appeal to many others. VW could maybe have offered both engines like Ford have done with the Ranger. For me though, mpg was a big consideration, we also have a 3.0TDV6 Discovery which struggles to get above 24mpg and although it has bags of power, it's just too thirsty to be happy driving every day. The Amarok can tow 3Ton comfortably and handles the run from derry to belfast no problem with plenty of overtaking.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Very nice whats it like to tow with? x2 on the V6 - super engine but struggles to return decent mpg. Be an nice option though.

Last edited:

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Very nice, these have serious road presence. My favourite pick up at the minute!

G Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
AI550 Evo IX GT
Went for a manual @Nicky , only slight criticism is that it can be a bit notchy but otherwise it's well geared and drives very similar to a car. Think the manual is better mpg too. I'm getting 31mpg on average over about 6 tanks using my iPhone app rather than the on board computer. It's miles and miles ahead in terms of quality, off roading and towing compared to my 06 Navara which really was quite horrible by comparison.

Whats the score with yours @G Mac , spec etc?

Mines a 180 bhp highline as well lad, similar spec to yours there! I have the trailer on about 2 or 3 days a week an it's a great big article for towing, was going to change to a new ranger or the new amarok but changed my mind an am going to drive away at my own for few more years

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Git, That thing looks awesome, if I come home full time then that's probably what I would buy myself. Health to drive (y)

Full time farmer now ;)

Creaney

RMS Regular
Drives
what are these like to live with day to day? Id really like one and could do with the space, but i can do up to 4/500 mile some weeks and trying to think if it will be comfortable and not destroy my soul on mpg and daily running etc

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
Depends what your after but there would no comparison with a car if your doing big miles, I'd certainly rather be in the likes of a 320d or A4 for that. Mpg also much worse, I get 31mpg mixed driving

Oh aye @Andy044 have to try and fit in. The Disco 4 always got me a bit of stick lol

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
19aece4s-960.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

some inspiration @G Mac when the big wheels are done....

G Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
AI550 Evo IX GT
@Big Pimp ;) whenever the other tyres are eat off it which won't be long at the rate I'm doing miles in it !

@Creaney they are grand to live with everyday, I wouldn't be without one I have no cars about me at all now and am happy enough driving away at this at weekends to, never stuck an can go anywere! Mpg is 31/32 and 23 ish with trailer on, I get 500 mile a tank no problem at all (y) I have looked at every new pickup in the market recently as I decided I was going to change the amarok to a fresher one even tho it's only 2 year old but I haven't found a suitable enough replacement so going to drive mine into the ground now (y)

image007.jpg

@Rob were did you get the plastidip?

Creaney

RMS Regular
Drives
awesome buddy thanks for that!

ill maybe get a test drive in one over the weekend!

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Looks great, reminds me of my old Transporter t5.1 that I de chromed and went black with black wheels.

What it needs to finish is a bloody great big 50 inch led light bar!

mcma1

RMS Regular
Drives
A Bull
If it wasn't for the defender it's one of these for me. I keep seeing a lovely burnt orange one and it stunning.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.