The DeLorean Deception: When Northern Ireland Built Cars

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cess

RMS Staff
The DeLorean DMC-12 is arguably the most recognisable car of all time. People stop in their tracks when they see a DMC-12; they point fingers, they smile. The DeLorean is a car that even non-car people can gush about. The distinctive shape, gull wing doors, coupled with a starring role in the Back to the Future trilogy has ensured global fame. Not bad for a lacklustre sports car that was hastily built in West Belfast, by people who had no automotive manufacturing experience.

Read the Full Article Here

DeLorean-Header-635x336.jpg

Read the Entire Article Here

Last edited:

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I'll chime in early and say this is fantastic. I knew about the drugs, but I didn't know the extent of the extortion of government and investment funds DeLorean and his cronies swallowed.

Even still - they did it in Dunmurry. That's still an incredible thought.

Dave..

RMS Regular
Good write up.
I remember them at the Motor show in Belfast, all the excitement and anticipation (n)(n)
I know someone who bought one new and it turned out to be junk. It leaked, broke down and the electrics were shiite.

coling2005

RMS Regular
Drives
Altea, ATR, CRX
Good read, read a book about it all a couple years ago. Something very intriguing about the whole car and stuff. Would love to own one one day.

Picture from my wedding day - my wife arranged surprise transport to church. Cookstown to Ballymena was a nice run out in it!
image.jpeg

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
Cheers folks, much appreciated. The DMC story is fascinating - so many twists and turns with too much to squeeze into even that article. I really think that Northern Ireland should do more to promote DMC-12 heritage. I think the fact that the Government lost so much money initially means it's an period of history that would rather be forgotten. Indeed, the final court action regarding recuperation of funds only concluded in 2005 ish.

Dave..

RMS Regular
Cheers folks, much appreciated. The DMC story is fascinating - so many twists and turns with too much to squeeze into even that article. I really think that Northern Ireland should do more to promote DMC-12 heritage. I think the fact that the Government lost so much money initially means it's an period of history that would rather be forgotten. Indeed, the final court action regarding recuperation of funds only concluded in 2005 ish.

If they can promote a ship that sunk, they should be able to promote a car company that went bust. :p

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Great write up @Cess I have always be fascinated with the story behind it.

This was a great documentary by the BBC I found on youtube which tells the story but also gave the view of the workforce and the British government, just spent an hour rewatching it again and would say its a great watch for anyone who is interested in it.

jimcupra

RMS Regular
Just imagine as a 10 year old seeing these for the first time. It was like something from outer space. This place was a complete toilet back then nothing but death and destruction. To see something so different being made here in the north of Ireland was big news. It brought jobs prosperity and above all something for people to say they had a hand in building.
As a young child I loved watching them being driven on the roads. I used to ride my bmx down to the test route and wait for the cars. They didn't always come but when they did I always waved at the drivers, normally they waved back or a thumbs up. One driver stopped and gave me a key ring and a badge, it was like getting a million sweets lol.
Sorry for boring you all with my childhood memories.

mike_2

RMS Regular
Drives
MR2, EP3 TypeR
Delorean is also credited with inventing the muscle car of the 60's (when a junior VP) and 70's. Essentially beefing up what where ordinary saloons.
This is what helped tun GM etc.. around.

Dave..

RMS Regular
Just imagine as a 10 year old seeing these for the first time. It was like something from outer space. This place was a complete toilet back then nothing but death and destruction. To see something so different being made here in the north of Ireland was big news. It brought jobs prosperity and above all something for people to say they had a hand in building.
As a young child I loved watching them being driven on the roads. I used to ride my bmx down to the test route and wait for the cars. They didn't always come but when they did I always waved at the drivers, normally they waved back or a thumbs up. One driver stopped and gave me a key ring and a badge, it was like getting a million sweets lol.
Sorry for boring you all with my childhood memories.
Very sentimental Jim @jimcupra but are you sure you weren't working there? :p:p

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Got a run round the track a few years ago when the DOC (no pun intended :p ) were over for an anniversary. I took them a tour of our Dunmurry Factory and got taken round Montupet as well.

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
Just imagine as a 10 year old seeing these for the first time. It was like something from outer space.
As a young child I loved watching them being driven on the roads. I used to ride my bmx down to the test route and wait for the cars. They didn't always come but when they did I always waved at the drivers, normally they waved back or a thumbs up. One driver stopped and gave me a key ring and a badge, it was like getting a million sweets.

Love hearing stuff like this @jimcupra. Seeing a DMC-12 on the road in 1981 must have incredible!

jimcupra

RMS Regular
You didn't see many sports cars, too see the dmc 12 with its gull wing doors metal finish. It was like something from Blake 7 or star wars. I became fascinated by them sad I know but seeing those cars made a wee boy very happy. I still smile thinking back :grinning:
Love hearing stuff like this @jimcupra. Seeing a DMC-12 on the road in 1981 must have incredible!

heavyoilhenry

RMS Regular
Drives
GTTDi-Rascal TLr
Worked in Montupet for 11 yrs and have taken a cherry picker round the track before with the boom extended out over the Creighton road, should have seen the face of the motorists though lol. Forklift going round it wasn't a sucess though!!

dave b

RMS Regular
Drives
Panny Turbo
Great write up @Cess I have always be fascinated with the story behind it.

This was a great documentary by the BBC I found on youtube which tells the story but also gave the view of the workforce and the British government, just spent an hour rewatching it again and would say its a great watch for anyone who is interested in it.

Great watch i didnt realise he was dead!
My pals dad had one of these under a cover in their garage when we were kids so it must have been brand new
Does anyone modify them or is it a case of maintaining them as stock?

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Great watch i didnt realise he was dead!
My pals dad had one of these under a cover in their garage when we were kids so it must have been brand new
Does anyone modify them or is it a case of maintaining them as stock?

I know a fella from Liverpool bought the remaining parts stock when the factory closed and founded a new DMC based in America. They sell the parts as new old stock and also have recreated parts which are low in stock or is no longer available.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.