REVIEWED: MY17 Nissan GT-R

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
See the blog feature on this -GT-R. No three letters command so much respect. Whilst the first Skyline badged GT-R badged car appeared in 1969, it was relatively unknown outside of Japan until the late 90s, when Nissan’s ultimate creation became the car of choice for the Playstation generation. It’s hard to believe that 2017 will mark the tenth year of production for Nissan’s supercar. There’s a been incremental evolution since the GT-R first broke cover, however the MY17 revisions herald the most fundamental package of revisions yet. Read the Full Article Here

Read the Entire Article Here

Cess

RMS Staff
Hard to believe the GT-R has been around that long. I guess it illustrates how good the engineering and technology was in the original car.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I think in years to come the GTR will prove to have been slightly ahead of its time. That it still remains competitive in terms of pace, rewarding to drive and well equipped technologically almost 14urs after Nissan put pen to paper is astonishing

j44nty

RMS Regular
I think they are a lovely car despite what some say even right back to older models. If I was in the market for such a car that I will never be I would certainly have one over a willy waving Lambo etc.
I love this one jay leno had a feature on and think for power and set up 135,000 dollars would be hard to put else where and as said above they will rule the roost until Nissan do it again as they have done since the 240z/r32 days.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I think in years to come the GTR will prove to have been slightly ahead of its time. That it still remains competitive in terms of pace, rewarding to drive and well equipped technologically almost 14urs after Nissan put pen to paper is astonishing

Was the r34 gtr also not famed for being ahead of its time ?

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Was the r34 gtr also not famed for being ahead of its time ?

I don't recall to be honest. It had the innovative display with G-forces and so on but the ATTESA 4wd system had already been used in the R33 and the engine was basically the same RB26 lump as used in the R32/R33 with various stages of progression. Don't think it was the same leap forward from previous cars that the R35 was.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Might be a bluff to cover themselves, but I remember reading that the not-exactly-lightweight nature of the gtr was a deliberate part of the way it was engineered.

However, according to Mizuno san the weight figure was part of the whole packaging from the very beginning of GT-R's design.

He explains "based on his experience with the relationship between the down force weight and tire patch grip of Group C race cars, the weight of GT-R has been predetermined to achieve optimal tire patch grip in a road car. The light weight packaging simply could not provide enough grip without using softer tire compounds. To achieve the maximum grip in all situation with NORMAL road tires, the GT-R's optimal weight for its tire compound has been determined without increasing the downforce that involved enormous drag coefficient.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I'd well believe it was intentional. GTRs have never been super lightweight cars, I think the chunky presence and hefty feel is part of their character and contributes to the Godzilla tag

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.