Swede Dreams are Made of 9-3s

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cess

RMS Staff
On the front page: The dictionary defines stop-gap as a temporary way of dealing with a problem. Just over three years ago, my problem was a lack of suitable transport. I plugged that car shaped hole by buying a much maligned Saab 9-3.

It was only supposed to be a quick fling, but the Saab isnt far off becoming my longest period of car ownership. How?!
Read the Full Article Here

Read the Entire Article Here

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Nice article. My brother has one also (1.8t) and he loves his.

mr_s81

RMS Regular
Drives
FozSTI
Great article. Strange how some cars just 'work' in a particular place and time in our lives that we never imagined would. For a budget, carefree mile muncher, this sounds spot on.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Pretty much how I felt about mine. Comfy cars that just work.
I haven't missed it though Tbh.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
With many of us here having our pride and joy reserved for weekend duties, the daily driver usually is usually left to be the cheapest, most economical and therefore boring heap we can lay our hands on. I'm possibly going back to the daily and weekender... and a Saab has appeared my wanted list. You read it here. I think I want a Saab. Possibly. It's just a daily *gets my other car is a porsche window sticker printed*

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Pretty similar to my own experiences. I bought the 9-3 Aero Estate to fulfil duties during a house renovation and then last year got a new Audi A4 Allroad. Despite everything I couldn't bring myself to let the Saab go. Yes the Audi is technically superior in every way but there is just something about the Saab that works and suits me. Looks good, goes well, lots of space, not much invested in it so don't have to worry, and narrow enough to chuck around country roads when desired.

Markhall

RMS Regular
Drives
Ax gt, defender
i enjoyed reading that
saabs are very under rated. the 9-5 aero hot I had was a great wagon.
fast and comfortable

Cess

RMS Staff
OP
Cess
Thanks for the feedback folks. Glad you've enjoyed reading it.

The other great advantage is mechanical parts are normal GM fare and easy to get locally. Paints & Components, via @Woodcutter, has sorted all my needs.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
Great write up. I completely get what you mean though. My £500 V40 was possibly the best all round car I have ever owned and I would have another one tomorrow. Seriously regret selling that car now.

Currently looking at B5.5 passats as a stop gap car for when my lease on the Merc ends and am now considering upping my budget a bit to get a tidy one that I can keep for a while if needs be.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
They are indeed great cars, i couldn't put my finger on the exact reasoning as to why i enjoyed my 9-5 Aero so much coming from more traditionally sportier 90's Toyota's prior but i certainly did enjoy it, it just felt right.
A car just as happy cruising at 45mph or 3 times that, with ignorant mid range torque and a car no-one would think to take a second look at

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Cheap smokers tend to be the cars that you remember. I had an old R8 Rover 414Sli that I bought for getting around in Derby while I was working there in 2003, I ran it around until 2005 doing very little to it at all and then drove it to Madrid to work there for a year. The head gasket went on the way to work and I caught it before it boiled so I loaded up a kit bag of tools and parts and did the HG, cambelt etc on the roadside near the flat. Ran it for the rest of the year with no bother and then drove it back to Leicester where my next gig was and kept it for another year. Bought it for £380, sold it for £250 3 years later, spent £3500 parking it in various Airport parking facilities lol (but claim-able through the business)..
Only sold it to upgrade to an Alfa with no MOT and a broken gearbox.. :p

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
....no-one wanted to own a car that was considered defunct.

This is it.

People will sneer and snipe at good cars because they're not the latest model or the absolute pinnacle model of that range - totally forgetting that in their own way they can be a good motor.

There's so many good cars of the last 20 years that are complete bargains and will soon disappear. Pretty much all of the 'edge' edition Fords are brilliant for example...

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I love my Toledo for similar reasons, worth little, but has all the comfort, power & economy you need for the daily commute. I got a company van 2.5 years ago, and couldn't bring myself to sell it, so still have it. Have come to the realisation that 1 tank of derv through it in the past year, it's time for it to go, probably doing it more harm sitting doing nothing!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.