Saab 9-5 Hot Aero Estate

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
In December I started having ideas of getting rid of the 7 seater and replace it with a large estate car. My daughter is tall enough now that she is comfortable in a booster cushion and being over 125cm its fine with the new car seat laws that are to come in soon. The wife wasnt over keen on the idea, but I managed to talk her round. Although the Alhambra was unbelieveably practical, it was boring as hell to drive and I craved a change after 3 years of it.

So wanting a large fast petrol estate and budget of under £2500 it didnt give me a lot of options really. The only other car I tested was a V70 2.4T, but it just didnt feel very quick, and after advice from @purplea4T I gave that a miss (thanks again). I had thought of maybe an older A6 2.7t Avant, but even finding a one, never mind a good one would have been difficult. Mondeo St220 would have been a option to, but seem pretty hard to find now and ones that were for sale seemed rough over the water.

I always liked the 9-5 and pined after both @mrloaf and @Boabybooster 's old ones. Knowing Gary's one was for sale previuosly I decided to send a PM to see if he would let it go. My brother and I then drove up on the Sunday morning and we came back with it. Thanks to Gary for agreeing to let it go!

Plans? Probably not a lot really. Just keep it maintained and hopefully it will be reliable. Just getting used to fuel consumption going down a bit from the bus! I really am enjoying it so far.

A few pics below from yesterdays wash and a couple of small things I have already done to it.

Some interior shots. Also got an Alpine Bluetooth headunit for it.

All kid seats accounted for.

Got some green LED heated seat switches as the old ones were missing.

Silver indicator bulbs are a must! Also replaced the yellow sidelight bulbs for white ones. Headlight out job ffs!

Got some Hammerhead alloys off @purplea4T for a bagain price. I have some winter tyres to go on them for next year when I get round to giving them a couple of coats with a rattle can.

Finally a dirty work car park pic.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Great cars, miss mine, regular fully synthetic oil changes and that'll go
Forever, parts aren't dear either!

Steve

RMS Regular
OP
Steve
Drives
Bus
Great cars, miss mine, regular fully synthetic oil changes and that'll go
Forever, parts aren't dear either!

The oil was changed about 3k ago, but I have a sevice kit here to be done within the next month or so.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Keep an eye on the oil pressure switch at the back of the engine if you smell oil burning. Cheap part for a few £ always leak, easy enough to do if you've done it twice lol. Get the centre resonator cut out, gives it a nice note not too loud either. Keep an eye on all the vacuum lines as they like to perish, although I imagine they've already been changed. Seats are great in these as well.

Steve

RMS Regular
OP
Steve
Drives
Bus
Keep an eye on the oil pressure switch at the back of the engine if you smell oil burning. Cheap part for a few £ always leak, easy enough to do if you've done it twice lol. Get the centre resonator cut out, gives it a nice note not too loud either. Keep an eye on all the vacuum lines as they like to perish, although I imagine they've already been changed. Seats are great in these as well.

Thanks for the info. Vacuum lines are done and in pretty sure that the oil pressure switch was replaced last year also, but I will keep an eye on it.
Im not sure the wife would appreciate the car being louder. Maybe she wouldnt notice lol

Steve

RMS Regular
OP
Steve
Drives
Bus
Thanks for the comments. It is pretty clean for being a 12 year old car now. Although it does have its chips and scratches around it. Being black they all show up on close inspection! Will get buffed at some point closer to better weather.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Good looking big car, glad I could help with that Volvo, more and more wasn't adding up with it. Hope to see you on the roads with it soon!

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
Yep oil pressure switch was changed last year, vac lines were all newish as well. Miss that Saab that was a great car! Picked up speed at a hilarious rate as well :grinning:

Steve

RMS Regular
OP
Steve
Drives
Bus
Yep oil pressure switch was changed last year, vac lines were all newish as well. Miss that Saab that was a great car! Picked up speed at a hilarious rate as well :grinning:

Thanks for the confirmation (y) Yeah its bloody sharp when it finally gets grip on the road lol! In the wet its just hilarious!

Steve

RMS Regular
OP
Steve
Drives
Bus
How are you finding this fuel economy wise? Is it mapped?

24mpg out my first tank, but I wasnt going easy on it at all! Im putting the standard air box on tonight, so it may do a little better.

Steve

RMS Regular
OP
Steve
Drives
Bus
Mpg sounds the same as my 9-3 2.0T Auto. Interesting!

When I drove home from buying it I nursed it the 50 miles or so home. Trip read 36.7 when I pulled into the drive, so it wont be bad on a long run.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.