1970 Reliant Scimitar resto/update.

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
Drives
Italian
A while back I bought this Scimitar for no other reason than to help with the mental health issues I've been suffering. The plan being to use it pretty much as my daily runner.

Scimitar just bought 5.jpeg

Scimitar just bought 2.jpeg

Scimitar dash when bought.jpeg

Apart from the brakes being soft the car actually drove almost like a modern car rather than a car 52 years old.

When I got it home I got it up on stands to work on the brakes.

scimitar wheels off to sort brakes.jpeg

It sat for a few weeks before I could gather up the energy to start on it. On checking everything it became clear pretty quickly I was going to have to do some remedial work, really this was highlighted to me when the passenger rear side window came out in my hand because the rubbers where gone! In fact all the rubbers where shot so I moved it into the garage thinking still it was going to be a rolling resto.

Aye that didn't go to plan.

Once in the garage my old got the better of me, the glove box lid was annoying me. so I decided to recover it.

scimitar taking center consol apart.jpeg

scimitar old consol leather.jpeg

Which promptly lead to the entire centre consul being redone in leather.

scimitar stripping centre consol 1.jpeg

scimitar center consol new leather.jpeg

The switch bit,

scimitar cutting new leather for facia panel.jpeg

Well look the whole lot was taken out, dash, seats, panels and roof.

scimitar interior removed.jpeg

When I got to that stage strangely the car was no longer rolling, so stuff it I decided to do the lot in one go, I say one go, its still ongoing,,,, months later.

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
OP
Maranellohouse
Drives
Italian
I finished the dash including the the wood, which isn't wood, its a grained wrap. I had a go at trying real wood covering but just could not get the hang of it. But that gave me an idea.

scimitar dash finished.jpeg

The boot floor.

scimitar making boot floor.jpeg

Finished

scimitar boot floor finished.jpeg

And the door tops and roof wood bar thingy

scimitar door caps up close.jpeg

then new leather was fitted to the ceiling.

scimitar new headlining in.jpeg

and side bits.

scimitar side lining done.jpeg

The rest of the interior was sent away to be recovered because I wasn't in the mood to try doing it.

scimitar rear seat for recover.jpeg

Oh and I decided to buy MX5 heated seats, well because they fit,,, nearly,,,, and they are heated.

scimitar MX5 seats.jpeg

What did I do next, oh aye the body. It looks to me that its been painted with some sort of boat paint.

scimitar rubbing down for wrapping.jpeg

Boy that was a pain and a test for anyone without mental health issues!

Anyway got it in primer eventually.

scimitar primed .jpeg

scimitar primed 1.jpeg

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
OP
Maranellohouse
Drives
Italian
It was at this point I decided I didn't have it in me to paint the thing so I decided to wrap the car, well I'd wrapped everything else up to now so way not, plus I actually find it quite therapeutic.

scimitar starting to wrap .jpeg

The problem with the Scimitar is the whole front end is one piece and the wrap doesn't come big enough to do it in one piece so a bit of thought had to go into that, something I haven't been doing to well of late.

scimitar starting to wrap 1.jpeg

scimitar starting to wrap 2.jpeg

scimitar starting to wrap 5.jpeg

I eventually got round to putting the windscreen back in with a new rubber. Never had so much difficulty in my life. Turned out the only way to do it was by fitting the rubber to the car first then very slowly fitting the screen. Took 4 hours of my life that I'll never get back.

scimitar screen rubber on car.jpeg

And yes the rubber hammer was indeed used.

scimitar screen lock in.jpeg

All the badges where cleaned and painted and fitted.

scimitar badges after refurb.jpeg

scimitar reffiting rear badge.jpeg

scimitar centre consol wrapped.jpeg

And the bumpers eventually sorted,,, well the rear bumper,,,,,, I'd wrapped the front quarter bumpers with chrome wrap which actually didn't turn out to bad but for the life of me I couldn't get the rear bumper right so I sent it to be powder coated and I'll paint the fronts because they are made out of fibreglass!

scimitar quarter bumper wrapped.jpeg

Only last week I got it sorted enough (new carpet) to take it out of the garage to see what on earth I've done to the poor thing.

scimitar just out 0f garage 1.jpeg

scimitar just out 0f garage.jpeg

scimitar just out 0f garage 2.jpeg

I'm waiting on new wheels coming and then I can get it Canavans to get tyres and get the Cherry Bomb rear pipes I've bought on. And of course the interior to come and fit. Oh and I bought electricity power steering from an MGF to fit because it doesn't have any and with the new wheels I suspect the steering is going to be really heavy without it.

Last edited:

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I LOVE these things.

My old English teacher had a brown one that she parked outside the mobile hut classroom. And a friend used a red one for auotesting and clubman motorsport.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
A Capri that doesn't rust.... :p

Nice things really, seen a few with more modern engines etc which would be no bad thing. Omega V6 and gearbox seemed popular for a while. Look great with nice wheels too.

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
OP
Maranellohouse
Drives
Italian
A Capri that doesn't rust.... :p

Nice things really, seen a few with more modern engines etc which would be no bad thing. Omega V6 and gearbox seemed popular for a while. Look great with nice wheels too.
I've been offered a 2.9 Granada Ghia X engine and box but for now I'm keeping the mechanicals as they are because the car is going so well. Plus When I bought it I was actually going out to look for a Saab 900 Turbo and that itch still needs scratched so if the Scim doesn't live up to my expectations it will need to make way for the scratchy itch.

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
i have put more scimitar engines and gearboxes in the bin than i would like to count 🫣

saab turbo with a vauxhall omega gearbox mate 👍

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Wow! Some turn around. Honestly up until I saw this thread, I couldn't have even told you what that was:joy: I'm a Jap guy but I love to learn about the older stuff. I really appreciate the work & effort people but into them & I love the rarity of it!

MX5 seats are popular in the older stuff. They always fit well! .. That colour is class!!! :heart_eyes:

A6Avant

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Avant
I love these. I saw pics of one a few years ago and have them saved on my phine. At the time i had no idea what it was but just fell in love with it. A bit of research later and i found out what it was. Last year i was at a car show and saw one there. Out if everything on display it was definitely my favourite. I look forward to reading more of your progress and perhaps even, one day, see it in the flesh!

IMG_1466.jpeg

IMG_1465.jpeg

From the show last summer

IMG_9350.jpeg

IMG_9349.jpeg

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
OP
Maranellohouse
Drives
Italian
So, update. Tyres now on wheels and fitment checked

IMG_0165.jpeg

Bracket made for the electricity steering (was tidied and painted after)

IMG_0193.jpeg

And after a lot of fitting and fettling the steering is in and working. Just need to tidy the wires up a bit even though you can’t see them.

IMG_0194.jpeg

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
I never knew these existed until now and my word wow. You have made a proper car of this and the colour is awesome along with your wheel choice.

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
needs lowered 👍

i got a set off scimitar gaz coil overs for my van they were not expensive for what they are

i am thinking off selling the rear ones ( only a year old ) as the van sits to low at the back ( i have longer ones ordered )