1978 MGB GT

Statler

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaguar XF
The story began in April 2018. After 18 years under cover in my garage, we’ve decided to resurrect the MGB GT.

It was restored by my Father in Law about 22 years ago but never driven on the road due to him developing a bad hip and not being able to use the clutch.

Here are a couple of pics. The paintwork looks ok in these but close up it’s in very poor condition. The painter clearly didn’t etch coat it and the tin worm his crept under the paint on wings, doors and rear quarter panels.

Mechanically it was ok when stored so we have made some progress which I’ll detail later.

Statler

RMS Regular
OP
Statler
Drives
Jaguar XF
It had new outer and inner sills when rebuild and they've never seen water so should be grand. The doors and wings came off a US spec car so the doors have side impact bars in them.

So the engine moved when I put a socket on the crank, which was a positive sign. We pulled the plugs and poured a little diesel into the bores and left it for 24 hours. Hand cranking, the engine freed up beautifully.
We checked the oil colour and it was fairly clean on the end of the dipstick. Connected the battery, disconnected the electric fuel pump and with no plugs in, it cranked on the starter motor, giving positive oil pressure after a few turns.

Carb pistons had stuck so I gently removed and the needles cleaned.
The float chamber on these HIF carbs is underneath so it's an inlet manifold removal job to check them. Will need to get a new gasket before I do that.
Want to keep them joined so as not to upset the balance (assuming they are) ...

Next job was to change the oil before trying to start it on a temporary fuel supply. If it started then I'd start on the rest of the systems.

All the hydraulic bits needed overhauled, I'd caliper seals, wheel cylinders and braided hoses waiting. Had to order master cylinder seal kit.
Water system needed a complete set of hoses
Fuel lines and tank need checked and cleaned

Electrics were a little iffy, no lights, which I traced to the headlamp switch. Took a chance on opening this 40 year old plastic bodied switch. I reckoned the plastic would just break apart, but it opened up without issue.
The inside was caked up with oily gunge, so I cleaned it out and buffed up the pins/slider and it actually went back together again. That was the lights working now, but I'd a replacement on the way. £8 from MOSS.

It wouldn't spark the plugs and I eventually traced it to dirty points. Quick file and spark appeared. Will swap to electronic ignition if all goes well.

Amazing how cheap some parts for these cars are and how expensive some simpler parts can be!

So the reason why we're doing this now is because Father in Law never actually put the car on the road. My eldest, who will be 21 this year, suggested we get it going so he could look into classic car insurance with a view to getting his Granda out in the car at long last. They're very very close and after all that his Granda has done for him over the years, he wants to do this.

Statler

RMS Regular
OP
Statler
Drives
Jaguar XF
I'll do this in a diary fashion showing the correct dates for each progression

Statler

RMS Regular
OP
Statler
Drives
Jaguar XF
29th April 2018
Got some old fashioned 20w50 oil and a filter, new plugs and new coolant yesterday.

I've been reading a B GT thread on Pistonheads and am now convinced to replace the brake calipers with reconditioned units rather than try to put the new seals in the current ones. Likewise with the two master cylinders and clutch slave.

The SU electric fuel pump is either seized or the points are really sticky/corroded, I whacked it with a rubber mallet to see if I could free it up, but nothing. I'll pull it out and see what needs doing.

The more I read up on other restorations, the more I find I need to do...

Although the paint isn’t great. It’s responding to some manual TLC from Farecla G3 to get rid of the worst marring and a quick go over with Megs no. 83 on the polisher.
Roof was the worst bit as it had a vinyl cover over it which went hard and disintegrated over time. It looks like air movement with the Garage doors open had shifted the cover back and forth scarring the paint.

Statler

RMS Regular
OP
Statler
Drives
Jaguar XF
5th June 2018
Got the oil in on Sunday, good oil pressure, nice and clean on the dipstick (remember those? )
Most importantly, no leaky sump bung.

New spark plugs installed so ready to try and start it.

I decided to jury rig a fuel bottle with a length of fuel hose so got hold of a 500 ml Pepsi bottle, drilled the lid and glued the hose through it. Drilled the bottom for adding fuel and connected the other end of the line to the inlet on the carb.

On adding fuel, one of the carbs just leaked it all over the garage floor through its overflow so I suspect the float is stuck open.
With any luck whatever fuel is in there will dissolve the gum and allow the float to move.

Failing that I’ll have to remove the carbs and get an overhaul kit. It doesn’t look like an easy job as the manifold nuts are blocked by a heat shield which means taking them off individually and upsetting the balance. I don’t know of anyone locally that still has enough experience to balance them again.

Marking the shaft positions is probably the best I can hope for.

Statler

RMS Regular
OP
Statler
Drives
Jaguar XF
11th June 2018
Yesterday I tackled the cooling system.
The thermostat housing was a bit of a pig to get off but eventually shifted. Thermostat is working but the waterways in the head were dry.

I removed the upper heater pipe and it was dry, the lower rad pipe revealed some lovely gunk at the water pump outlet which I removed.

The lower heater pipe leaked, good sign so I tightened the clip again. It’s split but not disintegrating.
Removed the upper radiator pipe and it seemed ok.

So with the upper rad pipe upturned, thermostat removed I pulled the lower rad pipe and got about 5L of fluid out of the radiator.

So hosepipe into the top hose pointing at the thermostat housing to represent normal flow direction and after three flushes with the heater valve open the water was running clear. There was an amount of rusty particles in the container the first couple of times and nothing on the last.

Happy with that, I then flushed the radiator and it is clean too.

Have worked out replacement parts required and will order those up before putting in the antifreeze mix.

Tonight then I gave the jury rigged fuel tank another go.

Turned her over again and she kicked twice and was almost away but I guess that the lack of fuel pressure is preventing it starting.

So I’m nearly there with a running engine which means the brake and suspension work can begin

Statler

RMS Regular
OP
Statler
Drives
Jaguar XF
12th June 2018
Fuel pump is the next job. It’s mounted into the boot from the rear driver side wheel arch. Managed to get it out without too many cuts and bruises

Found a 12v 3A PSU in the shed and connected it up. Nothing as expected.
Continuity tests are correct. Cleaned the points, as I thought this was the problem. Still nothing.
Digging a bit further with the multimeter I was sure I should get continuity across the points but wasn’t. Found I could remove the top spring. There are four contacts so started with a modelling file and was surpised how much crud came off them. Did the lower set, put it back together, hooked up the power and low and behold we have a running fuel pump.

Put the fuel pump back in, dodgy earth sorted and running ok.

Put the filter back in the fuel line, removed the pipe from the fuel sender and dunked it into a fuel mixing bottle with a litre of fuel/lead additive. Pump fired up, got up to pressure and stopped. All good. Then it fired again and I noticed a pool of fuel on the bulkhead under the filter. Cracked rubber hose, so replaced it from filter to carbs with new hose.
Pressure held but although I have all the components for fire, she tries but just won’t kick into life.

I haven’t changed the points yet, so maybe the spark isn’t strong enough or the carbs are still a bit gummed up, I’ll get a look at them again over the weekend and order points and a coil just to be sure.

I think I’ll order a compression tester as well

Statler

RMS Regular
OP
Statler
Drives
Jaguar XF
18th June 2018
Got the fuel tank out this evening. Drained 15 litres of old fuel out. I’ve no idea how so much got in there... bonus is that the tank is like new inside.
Refitted it and fuel system is done.

Put the back end on stands to do the back brakes.
Drums came off ok. Shoes, springs etc are like new. Drum surface is a bit rusty so may get them skimmed. There is plenty of meat on them.

There has to be some bad news and that involved breaking the end off the brake line while trying to get the old wheel cylinder off. New pipes across the back then....

Statler

RMS Regular
OP
Statler
Drives
Jaguar XF
19th June 2018
Just spent most of the day driving family members to medical appointments but found half an hour to stop at the new MG parts guy I’ve found in Belfast.

£450 lighter, I now have all new brakes for the front, calipers, back plates, pads, full set of master cylinders for clutch and brake, water pump and all the hoses and many smaller parts required.

I’ve ordered a full set of copper brake and clutch pipes as well.

Justification is that Mrs Statler and eldest son will probably drive it so having new safety kit on the car is a must.

I can’t see it costing my much more to get it through MOT. Unfortunately NI still requires MOT as our legislation doesn’t run in tandem with GB. Thankfully the car is now Tax exempt.

edit: That turned out to be another a famous last words one...

Statler

RMS Regular
OP
Statler
Drives
Jaguar XF
23rd June 2018
Dropped into the local motor factor to get some extra hoses and jubilee clips for the fuel system and some lubricants.

Got a colour match aerosol made up to tidy up the lower rear arches but it’s not even close to the colour on the car. Will do as a first coat but need to get the car down to them so I can get a better match against their colour cards.

Hope to get some more done tomorrow.
Finish stripping and rebuilding the rear drums.
Make a start to the front discs and calipers. That requires the hubs to come off, hopefully no nasties lurking there.

Brake pipe unions on the master cylinder are moving so with any luck it’ll come off easily. Front pipes are malleable copper and look clean. With any luck they’ll come out of the calipers ok as well.

Statler

RMS Regular
OP
Statler
Drives
Jaguar XF
27th June 2018
Finally the water and fuel systems are complete.
Car is running well and the heater is heating.

New hoses and water pump in. The old pump felt like a sticking dc motor. Really not HY and sticky.

Fuel hoses replaced. Have left the engine bay mostly untouched. Seems right to keep it as original as I can. Just a bit of sensitive touching up were it’s just too rusty.

Statler

RMS Regular
OP
Statler
Drives
Jaguar XF
19th July 2018
Quick update

Handbrake is working fine.
My mate Allan came over last Friday and we stripped the front hubs and replaced the backing plates and discs with good results.

Allan and I looked at putting the calipers on but when we opened them, they were from two different companies and felt that they should really be matched, so needed to go back.

I spent the odd half hour over the weekend, with youngest son helping, to remove the clutch and brake master cylinders. Clutch was awkward to get off as youngest had to access the nuts from the driver footwell with a long socket extension. Thankfully the pipes came off both master cylinders without issue.

The other end of the clutch hard line was a different story and I ended up cutting the flexi pipe and grinding it off to preserve the hard line which was seized into the flexi coupler. Once I had that on the bench, a bit of heat and some penetrating fluid soon had it released. It's in decent shape and can go back on after a quick coat of paint.

When out collecting eldests birthday cake yesterday, I dropped into Just MGs and swapped the calipers for a matching pair, got some more odds and ends along with a new electric cooling fan and most importantly, the new rear brake pipes which I was having trouble getting made locally. Thankfully the owners friend arrived while I was there and offered to make them up, result.

Also got a couple of track rod ends as the rubber boots on the current ones are split.

So, with another £80 spent.... I hope I have done enough to get it to MOT now once the bits are fitted.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
This is brilliant, love the diary updates.

Be class when it's all done for your son to get his granda out in 👍🏻

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Yes, loving the diary style updates. I'm only in Carrowdore and love playing with old stuff, if you need a hand setting anything up give me a shout.

Statler

RMS Regular
OP
Statler
Drives
Jaguar XF
21st July 2018
Finished the hydraulics today. Filled and bled the brakes and clutch.

Had a few leaks that were quickly rectified with a spanner. Always useful to tighten the unions correctly

Took a bit of work to get the air out of the clutch pipe. Ended up letting the slave cylinder hang from its pipe and pumping the pedal to encourage the air to travel back up the line.
Have a good bit of travel on the release fork now.

Brake pads fitted and drums set. Dropped off the axle stands and sitting on all four wheels for the first time in a few months.

So we’re at the crucial point of starting up to see if the clutch actually works. Expecting it to fight hard after all this time on the flywheel.
Hopefully get to that tomorrow.

Still some electrical bits to sort out. New light switch to fit, new electric fan motor, check the dash switches and illumination etc.

Statler

RMS Regular
OP
Statler
Drives
Jaguar XF
23rd July 2018
Well, that was a bit of an anti-climax.
I was hoping to have it on the jack, running at 2500 rpm and drop it. Turns out the clutch plate was even slightly sticky...

Started, clutch pedal down, engage 1st, drive off.....

Prior to that we had some excitement after putting fuel in the tank, youngest fired up the ignition, I watched the fuel bubble into the filter and gush down the side of the engine. The link pipe between the carbs split spectacularly!

Quick swap with some new pipe and the car was running.
We've had so many oily fluids drip down the block during the process that once the engine heated, we'd a bit of smoke and burny smells to contend with, so with the clutch engaging as it should, we ran it outside and let it idle until it warmed up a bit and the fumes left. Hosepipe to the ready just in case...

Next job was to re-bleed the brakes after the servo had kicked into life. Quite interesting having the pedal hit the bulkhead going down a slight slope.... handbrake works

She's running ok on the choke, but quite rough off it. Almost like running on two cylinders, I suspect one of the carbs isn't 100%. so that could be the next job, after the cooling fan is replaced.

It was a nice day so we and I spent a bit of time in the sunshine vacuuming it out and cleaning the fungus off the steering wheel. 20 years of skin and grease that had turned mouldy, euuugh !

Statler

RMS Regular
OP
Statler
Drives
Jaguar XF
30th July 2018
Quick picture-less update.

New cooling fan came without a loom connector so had to cut and solder the one off the original fan, which presented the 'which way does it turn' game.. the old motor was dead so there was no reference. I decided that the fan motor should blow rather than suck so added the connector.

It took a while to get the fan blade off the old one as I'd to drill the grub screw out and re-tap it for the screw. Thankfully that worked ok.
I tested the loom for the 12v pin having shorted the temp sensor wires and it was looking good. Fit the fan, connect, ignition on, short the temp sensor and it should turn, but it didn't... in addition the ignition lamp turned off after the crackle that preceded it.
Wind back and try again, no ignition lamp but car turned over, checked all fuses, OK, checked 12v at relays, yep, they click Ok, battery disconnect and recharge, still nothing.
The wiring is simple, but the Haynes diagram I have is not complete.

While out yesterday, popped into Halfords and bought two new 30A relays and some spare fuses just in case. Fitted the relays last night and we're in business, fan is turning the right way (it sits in front of the rad so is blowing air into the engine bay).

So now it's onto the tuning.
Still running like a dog so I may get to run that compression test this evening just to check the innards are ok
I've been watching a few decent videos on carb balancing so Amazon is about to get a bit of money for a timing light and maybe a Color Tune. Mr Gunson makes all sorts of lovely things

Statler

RMS Regular
OP
Statler
Drives
Jaguar XF
2nd August 2018
Took the lower valance off to leave it to the paint supplier to get a match with their spectrometer as the cans I had made up were nothing like it.

Removed the coolant expansion bottle and cleaned the crap out of it, then did a sympathetic respray. The bracket was quite rusty so I buffed it back with a wire wheel and gave it a few coats of clear lacquer to keep the authentic look.

Color Tune and timing light arrived yesterday so I'll have a play with the engine at the weekend.
Also bought the Haynes workshop manual, it's a full color edition which surprised me...
The detail in setting timing, points etc will be invaluable and it has a proper wiring diagram too!

We've decided to call the car Sid.. There is a definite resemblence :laughing:

Statler

RMS Regular
OP
Statler
Drives
Jaguar XF
7th September 2018
Been a slow month for the MG but today Allan came over and we did a few bits.

First up, coffee, lovely cup of Taylor’s Rich Italian Roast thanks to Allan.

Next up steering balljoints, Allan brought a splitter and we had them measured, disconnected and replaced in around 30 minutes, which included searching one of Mr Haynes excellent books for correct torque settings

After that we tackled the ignition timing. The car was firing up ok on the choke but wasn’t running at all off choke.
I’d bought a strobe light recently so we put it to work. It looks like the timing was around 20 degrees out. We decided that with it now on 91 octane unleaded (with additive) it probably need a tweak since it originally ran on 98 octane leaded fuel.

We first brightened up the timing marks with some white paint. Marked the initial position of the distributor then loosened off the distributor bolt. It wouldn’t turn so a hammer a short metal bar were employed and it was persuaded, gently, to turn.
We eventually got it set at 10 degrees BTDC at 1000rpm and it actually drove, but the Rickover was too low so Allan fine tuned it and we got it running fairly well.

All good, however as it heated up, the radiator began to show its age. I knew there was a weak spot in one bottom corner and very soon a vapour cloud began to drft out of the engine bay.

We decided to quit while we were ahead and stopped for lunch.

After dinner Mrs Statler wanted to see how well the car was running but we couldn’t get it running at all. Very hesitant to rev, stalling a lot.

Allan and I discussed the distributor earlier and it could well be that the springs inside it that control balance weights may be shot after 40 years.

Looks like the next purchases are a radiator and new dizzy....

Statler

RMS Regular
OP
Statler
Drives
Jaguar XF
21st September 2018
I’ve been looking at distributors and electronic ignition for Sid.

I came across PowerSpark and Distributor Doctor. Both supply reconditioned distributors and the electronic bits. Powerspark are considerably cheaper at £100 for electronic distributor, ballast free high energy coil and a set of double silicone plug leads.

Our Tesco delivery driver is a bit of a petrolhead with many Rovers, a VW Camper and a couple of Jaguar XJs
He’s been running PowerSpark on the camper for 6 years and 25k without issue so that has sold it to me.

Mrs S has been watching 8 Go Rallying on BBC2 and now thinks we should look into using Sid for Navigation Rallies.

Result...

I’m sure you’ve a full idea of what I’ll be able to justify now! ;)(y)

Statler

RMS Regular
OP
Statler
Drives
Jaguar XF
24th October 2018
Since the last update, I ordered the new distributor, coil and leads from Jon @ Powerspark.
They arrived yesterday and will hopefully get them installed over the weekend.

I also bought a battery conditioner as the battery is now flat and I'd like to preserve it.

The oil feed to the cooler needs disconnected to get the old distributor out, which should be straightforward (hopefully!)

We're going full electronic and ditching the old ballast system. Turns out that there is a ballast wire in the front wiring loom, who knew. It has most likely deteriorated over time, so nice new Viper coil and direct 12v feed should help the whole spark situation

Statler

RMS Regular
OP
Statler
Drives
Jaguar XF
28th December 2018
Christmas update

Since the last post, the battery charged up ok and is powering the car nicely.

I took advantage of Moss’ 35% discount offer and bought a new radiator and some nifty plastic front wheel arch liners.

Over the last few days the radiator has been installed and is a good fit, the tappet clearances have been done, and I’ve started to strip the coil and distributor out.

The pattern part cork gasket was too big for the rocker cover so a knife and some superglue solved that.

Unfortunately paintwork under the coil has suffered from brake fluid seepage and is pretty much bare metal as you can see ...

Have cleaned it up and will apply a rust converter then some primer and body colour to protect the metal.

Radiator mountings had parted at the bottom where they are welded to the chassis leg. I tried a fine welding rod on my arc welder but only managed to blow a hole in the panel due to its age and lack of thickness. Ended up using a small bracket on each side instead. Will get it sorted properly at some stage.

Tested the thermostat and fan again. Just need to refill the system.

Spent a bit of time tidying up Sid’s room and putting in proper lighting. It’s had a 60w bulb as it’s main source for too many years ...

Also started on a tool board to get the spanners off the bench

I’ve a used bit of worktop which should allow me to get rid of the A frame stands and make a more permanent structure.

Back to removing the distributor tomorrow hopefully...