1979 Volvo Laplander 4x4 build

warninglight

RMS Regular
Drives
Mostly Volvo
1611219173696.png

I mentioned this project in passing in another thread, and there was some interest in a project thread for it, so here goes.

I haven’t posted on here that much over the years, but anyone who was a regular around Jordanstown or Banbridge 8-10 years ago may recognise my first car, which I still have hidden away.

FB_IMG_1566934563544.jpg

Since then, I’ve owned a load of Volvos and Land Rovers, and very little else. I reckon six Land Rovers from Series 2 to Range Rover 4.4 V8, and probably 20 Volvos from the 60s to 5 or 6 years old.

In June 2017 I was sent a picture on another forum, of a weird old Volvo which had been parked up so long it had sunk into the ground, down on the South Coast of England. I knew Volvo had made a range of live-axled 4x4s for the Swedish military called the Laplander, so it didn’t take much googling to find out that this fantastically ugly version was called the C202.

Capture.JPG

I admit it, I like Volvos, and I have a problem. I had recently put my 1966 Volvo Amazon project on the road after a load of welding and painting, and I had space in my shed, and a good strong trailer. Of course I messaged the guy who had got in touch to express my interest. I was told that it had been off the road for 25 years, and the widow of the late owner was talking about selling their big house, where it was parked. He passed on my details but I heard nothing.

FB_IMG_1570822703134.jpg

Nearly a year later, in summer of 2018, another of the handful in the UK came up for sale, near Bristol. The seller wanted nearly £4000 for it, running, but scruffy and with no brakes. I was home in NI for a visit at the time so was making plans to go and see it when I got back to Cumbria, when I remembered the original one, on the South Coast.

I sent a follow up message to see if it was still there, and the next day my man replied, saying he had driven past for a look, and it wasn’t there.

That would have been the end of it, if about two hours before that message, I hadn’t spotted it on eBay. It had been posted 20 minutes before I saw it, with a low price (lower than I’d have offered the lady who had it), but for sale by a fairly dodgy character, who had, I suspect, given scrap value for the thing that morning.

The stars were lining up and I wasn’t going to let it get away, so I dealt with the guy over the phone the next morning (Sunday), and said I’d be down first thing on the Saturday for it. It was a 650 mile round trip to get it, and at the time I was without a Land Rover. My Volvo XC70 was a strong tow car, but its legal towing weight may have been a little bit lower than ideal. I had little choice, so went for it, and pulled it back the length of England in nearly 40 degree heat, and the thing absolutely aced it.

34962495_10155842773478843_1420285357676560384_n.jpg

34875752_10155842773593843_6928196330539974656_n.jpg

Once I got back within a few miles of my shed, I got a mate with a Defender to pull the last bit, as there are some tricky little lanes with steep turns on the way in.

Once it was in I set about pressure washing 25 years of grime off it, and sucking a serious amount of organic material out of it. The roof had a rotten seam which let all sorts of animals and plant material in, which can smell about as pleasant as you might imagine, and didn’t help keep the thing rust free.

I had hoped that the Arabic writing on the front doors might have hinted at a nice dry few years, but 25 English winters made up for that! A friend tells me that the writing translates to a house building corporation in an area known as the ‘Gateway to Baghdad’, so it’s a wonder how it even made it out of there in one piece, never mind to my shed in the Lake District.

FB_IMG_1571776565914.jpg

I spent a few weekends starting to strip it and get to know its condition, almost to the point of lifting the body off the chassis, but then had to start back at my part-time Masters – so it got left under a tarp. In the meantime the engine in my Amazon died, so I’ve been slowly getting that back into action, and I’m going to get back into this project in the next month or two.

I’m still not entirely sure what I want to do with it. I’ve decided it’s going back to its original colour scheme of orange with an off-white stripe all the way around it, but in terms of running gear and what I’ll use it for, I’ve had ideas of making it longer with a tag axle and a small hookloader and something like a Cummins or Merc 6 cylinder, down to keeping the body as is, and making it into a micro camper, either with a rebuilt and breathed-on version of the original Volvo B20, or something compact that’ll give more torque and be a lot easier on juice, like an older VW TDI.

FB_IMG_1574748443914.jpg

The axles are Dana American ones, the same as used on a lot of Jeeps. The brakes are shared with the Land Rover series 2, the engine is the same as the Volvo Amazon/140, but the gearbox and transfer box are unique. I have a 5 speed version of the same basic box, from an early Volvo 740, which I’m going to try to mate up to the transfer box, pushing the engine forwards a bit. Space is an issue, with only an 82” wheelbase, and the engine between the seats. The rear prop is already about as short as it can be!

I'll keep this updated as I get on with it if anyone's interested. I'm aiming for a Laplander to Lapland camping trip in it...

Last edited by a moderator:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
That's great, proper bit of history! A diesel would deffo be better on juice but maybe a 4 pot turbo petrol would be quieter for any long distance travelling in it. Plenty of torque too.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Fantastic. The best thing I've seen here in ages. I love it and never saw one before.
Something like a shrunken Unimog and the rear quarters remind me of the old BJ/FJ40 Landcruiser.

warninglight

RMS Regular
OP
warninglight
Drives
Mostly Volvo
I'd love to add a C303 to the collection at some point, or even better a 6x6 C304. They're a bit bigger and a LOT stronger than the C202, and came with a straight 6 from the factory, so there's a lot more scope in them for bigger engines and more power. The C303/304 have portal axles like a Unimog too, so there aren't many places they can't go.

One like this, with some serious power, and a choice of bodies for the back would be some job.

warninglight

RMS Regular
OP
warninglight
Drives
Mostly Volvo
Well it's nearly a year on from that post and I thought I'd be a bit further on than I am with this!

I thought a couple of weeks of lockdown would be enough to get my red Volvo in the pics above back on the road, but it took most of lockdown to get it right! It's almost at a point I'm happy with now, plenty of work done to the engine, overdrive fitted, wider wheels, suspension rebuilt and so on.

Come September I was ready to crack on with the Laplander, in fact I even spent a few hours stripping it on a saturday afternoon, then the following morning crushed my thumb between a boat trailer and Hilux, putting me out of action til now.

This enforced time off gave me time to think about what I want. I didn't have a plan when I bought it, I just knew I had to have it. I was keen to keep the boxy look, and incorporate a pop top maybe like this one, or make the whole roof lift as a more discreet setup.
344c446d203d2910e0aceda60109494b.jpg

Whilst it would be a great fun wee camper, the useable space is pretty small. It's shorter and narrower than a Defender 90, albeit with the cab over the front does make better use of the space.

The other problem is the sheer level of rot in the body. Unlike the Amazon or another monocoque car of the era, the Laplander is made of mostly single skinned sheet steel. It's all fixable with time, but I've decided that I'd rather spend less time dealing with never ending rust , by sacking off the rear bodywork. Then I can build a flatbed for the back, and eventually an insulated box camper body. It also makes my planned engine and gearbox fit a bit easier. It's only a couple of slitting discs and a simple cab back panel which I can buy or fabricate away from being this...

Screenshot_20201122-215714_Facebook.jpg

I'm going to keep the original transfer box and axles, with a 5 speed version of the original gearbox, so can't go silly with engine choices. It'll still be probably twice the horsepower it left the factory with.

Stripping the thing down is a slow process, it's that rotten I'm even having to remove most of the dash switches with a grinder, whilst being careful to keep some of the original touches I want to keep. Not helped by there being no workshop manuals anywhere, at least certainly none in English, and lots of stuff just isn't obvious how it was put together. Having to take lots of reference photos!

20201122_155913.jpg

Once the body is off I'll get the chassis onto the lift and get cracking with that. Need to find the room for a donor Volvo soon...