1981 Porsche 924

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
@Woodcutter and myself struck again and this time picked up a fairly unloved 1981 Porsche 924, guards red, 72k miles on the clock (backed by mot's) with a hugely retro checkered pasha interior.

The body is generally in good condition, as is the interior bar bolster tears on the drivers seat. It has been dry stored for the last 7 years which probably helped preserve it.

Plans are fairly minimal-

Resplay in guards red
Fit a spoiler less boot
Wheel refurb (or different wheels)
Clean and repair interior
Belts, filters, oil change
Brakes and pads
Lower

With these things there's always something else around the corner so there'll be niggles along the way to sort.

Picked up last night
IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

The plan, keeping the styling fairly subtle

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0624.JPG

purplea4T

RMS Regular
They look absolutely excellent with the older spoilerless boot on it, think the bolt pattern for the wheels is 4x108 so some good retro stuff out there for it too.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
OP
richie_mck
Where do you two find these things??

This one was on gumtree, just have to keep the eyes peeled. I'm always trawling through the classifieds, but there are a serious amount of class wee projects out there for very humble money

Reactions: dub

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Where do you two find these things??

Just keep an eye on Gumtree, Facebook, DoneDeal etc. You have to be prepared to literally drive straight away and buy them though, because decent wee project cars sell very quickly.

I just missed a 924S in Larne last year for £2500, and it came with a 924 reg plate at that money. If I had driven straight to Larne when I rang the guy it would have been mine, but I left it to the next day and the first guy to go see it bought it!

These aren't everyone's cuppa , but needless to say I love them. Can't wait to get this one up and running!

richie_mck

RMS Regular
OP
richie_mck
Does it really need the spray it looks in good fit order in the last pics. Really red too.

Unfortunately, it's been painted before and every panel has micro blistering. It'll not be a high end respray from the likes of AG, but a decent quality one from a farm yard

Last edited:

Mark_C

RMS Regular
And is the torque tube quiet enough, if so you've the two major hurdles over

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Haven't started it yet, only turned by hand. It's sat for 7 years so need to give it a once over before we start it. Will check those out

If there's been petrol in it that k-jetronic is very fond of gumming up in various spots when left a long time. I had to replace a few parts in my own, however all parts are readily available new.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
If there's been petrol in it that k-jetronic is very fond of gumming up in various spots when left a long time. I had to replace a few parts in my own, however all parts are readily available new.

I don't think there's a drop of fuel in it, will double check over the weekend.

Oil looks good and engine turns over easily by hand, so we will give it a once over, stick in some fuel, fresh plugs perhaps and see if we can get it going.

Then it'll need a good service, belt change, new gear oil etc.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
OP
richie_mck
They've definitely the same da

IMG_0719.JPG

It going next Thursday to get all the oils changed, filters, belts and all electrics checked and recommissioned. We've had a boyo out to look at the paint so he's crunching numbers for a respray.

We threw at battery at it last night and managed to get it momentarily fired on easy start with not a drop of petrol so that's promising.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.