1986 VW Polo Coupe S.. (Project)

domo gti

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Hi people,
Ive a thread up on my Mk5 GTI & Polo TDI but thought this deserved its own thread!
Ive been on the lookout for a project car for me and the ole man to do when we get the free time in work so started looking a while back but didnt find many VW's that caught my eye.
Then by chance we stumbled upon this,its an original 1986 Polo Coupe S.
Its totally standard and never been messed with and bonus is it only has 66k miles on it.
It needs a drivers wing and bonnet and roof painted but the chassis etc is like new!
It had been sitting for afew years so needs a good tidy but the car is unreal for being 30years old!
It has a mighty 1.3 with a 4 speed box and a huge 55bhp!!!!
Here is afew photos of when it arrived!
20160119_140159.jpg
20160119_141935.jpg
20160119_164859.jpg

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Cool, what's the plans? Make it mental lol.

No crazy plans lol but will be refurbing everything i can and paint the underside of it.
first thing up is wing repair and get wheels refurbed next week, then lower it slightly and use it for the summer then respray later this year as i want to get it on the road asap lol..

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Love it lad, can't believe it's 30 years old! It's amazing what difference a good clean makes, the seats are cool and came up really well.
I loved my we 1.0, 4 speed coupe, it was bullet proof and you could change gear in it without having to press the clutch lol, they just don't build them like that anymore!

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Love it lad, can't believe it's 30 years old! It's amazing what difference a good clean makes, the seats are cool and came up really well.

Cheers laaaaaaaad!
It defo came up well but seats and carpet is coming out and going to @big_pete asap to get a proper cleaning!!

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Nice find! Do you have a thread for your mk5? Gathering inspiration for mine at the minute!
Will try find the link,my GTI is just pretty much standard,just have RCD510,the wee GTI badges on the seat handles,GTI mats & 35mm springs!
I hardly get to drive it as the wife uses it and i use my 6n2 TDI..

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Will try and keep it updated on the regular!
Forgot to say it has all original glass apart from the windscreen which isnt too bad for the age!

jacko_rs

RMS Regular
Drives
lexus is200
nice wee project to keep you busy. I had one a few years ago. just as clean tho the panel behind the front bumper was rusted through. would love something like this again myself.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Will try find the link,my GTI is just pretty much standard,just have RCD510,the wee GTI badges on the seat handles,GTI mats & 35mm springs!
I hardly get to drive it as the wife uses it and i use my 6n2 TDI..

Think I see you most evenings coming out of work I take it, at bottom of Hannahstown Hill?

Wee Polo fairly cleaned up, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Think I see you most evenings coming out of work I take it, at bottom of Hannahstown Hill?

Wee Polo fairly cleaned up, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Yes that would be me, i work in just at the bottom of the hill! What you drive and il give you a wave next time if im not daydreaming lol..

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Fantastic! Please keep it pretty original! Dreamt of one of these when I had my '89 1L classic (saloon) on R plates. Ended up stumbling accross a '91 Mk3 GT in the buy and sell (anyone remember that!?) which was a great going thing for an 18 year old. Prob have a few pics somewhere.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Awesome, always loved these Polo coupes. There used to be a red one about Carnmoney a few years ago. Always caught my eye!

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Fantastic! Please keep it pretty original! Dreamt of one of these when I had my '89 1L classic (saloon) on R plates. Ended up stumbling accross a '91 Mk3 GT in the buy and sell (anyone remember that!?) which was a great going thing for an 18 year old. Prob have a few pics somewhere.

Dont worry itll be staying as original as i can keep it! Only thing that will be modded is the springs as these polo's sit wayyyyyy too high lol.. so mayb 40mm springs but thatll be one of the last things done once its MOT'd!
Cheers for all the comments lads! (y)