1986 VW Polo Coupe S.. (Project)

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Looking really well now.

Cheers @cormac81 (y) theres still bits that need painted but going to just drive away at it this summer then get it sorted over winter.
Just ordered a new ignition coil & a distributor for it as wanted to replace the bits than can/do go faulty.

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Well i spent last few days getting the car ready for Kilbroney Show.
I finally got the stripes up the sides changed to the red/black the way it should have been.
Also spent time giving the Polo a good clean and there ended up being a nice shine off it after afew hours polishing!

Saturday was a brilliant morning so took a nice relaxing drive down to Kilbroney in the sun. Got parked up,gave the Polo a quick wipe & was very happy with the nice compliments the car got throughout the day!
Got chatting to a fella with a lovely mk1 Polo and it was nice to have them parked side by side.

Made all the hard work worth while!
20160618_144437.jpg

20160618_144428.jpg

20160618_144343.jpg

Last edited:

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Photos arent the best but i picked up two sets of plates from @Neil@rockvale yesterday. Pleasure to deal with neil.

Got a set of "1986" show plates made like the ones VW used back in the day.
Love them as they are exactly same font etc.
20160709_150842.jpg

Next up is the new period number i bought afew weeks back.
The DVA messed me about so much with trying to get my original reg back that i just went ahead and bought my own N.I plate.
I couldnt be happier with the price i got the number at and suits the car perfect!
20160709_150805.jpg

Just getting ready to stick the plates on and go for a drive!
Will get afew photos on the car.
Cheers for reading!

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Beautiful polo. Was about to say the BGZ plate looks wrong but glad to see you have a nice age related plate ready to go on to it.

Lad it was the one thing in my head that needed a change and im so happy as the BGZ plate was no good lol..

Last edited:

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Cracking wee motor, number plates that are obviously newer than the car they are attached to do my nut in.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Loving it, proper time warp.

You should get a photo shoot done, specifically done in period quality.

Nice fuzzy photos, drain pipe trousers, terrible tache, the works.

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Cracking wee motor, number plates that are obviously newer than the car they are attached to do my nut in.

Exactly my thought. I couldnt wait to get the newer reg off!
Thats the wee car mostly sorted so only other money being spent on it this year will be on petrol that it will use.

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Loving it, proper time warp.

You should get a photo shoot done, specifically done in period quality.

Nice fuzzy photos, drain pipe trousers, terrible tache, the works.

Youve basically just described me lol..
Well ive a beard instead of a tache!!!

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Reg will look so much better saw it up in kilbroney cool wee car

Really enjoyed Kilbroney.
I missed Castlewellan as i was in Kinsale for a wedding so on the lookout for the next show coming up that i can take the Polo to.

Have to say the reg does look a million times better!!

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
With the weather being so good i got the Polo out of the garage to give it a quick clean then took it for a nice drive.
Took the dog with me and went for a walk so got afew photos as its first time ive had it out since getting my plate on!
20160719_210655.jpg

20160719_210509.jpg

20160719_210557.jpg

20160719_203648.jpg

20160719_211031.jpg

Love this wee car,so much craic to drive lol..

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
It's looking mint lad, especially 3rd pic down, can't beat the retro look....I'm using the Gti as my daily at the minute lol actually does the job as good as any, gets some looks too among all the modern bulky cars:cool:

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
It's looking mint lad, especially 3rd pic down, can't beat the retro look....I'm using the Gti as my daily at the minute lol actually does the job as good as any, gets some looks too among all the modern bulky cars:cool:

Your right there,it feels abit weird sitting in traffic beside a Range Rover or something big and im sitting in a tin can lol..
Altho the good thing is most people are real sound and let you out at junctions etc and always give a wee wave :cool:
I will have to get a drive over to see the GTI, it looks so cool (y)

peter wilson

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab 95 Aero Hot
That looks brilliant and it's nice that it has been kept standard with side walls and proper suspension. But thats just me. I saw that orange 79 Polo at the Morris Minor Millisle run last year. Looked fantastic. Must see if its at the Millisle shows on Friday night.

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
That looks brilliant and it's nice that it has been kept standard with side walls and proper suspension. But thats just me. I saw that orange 79 Polo at the Morris Minor Millisle run last year. Looked fantastic. Must see if its at the Millisle shows on Friday night.

Thanks @peter wilson.. It took me nearly 6 months to gather up the wee bits needed but thats the Polo sitting totally standard and original the way it left the factory.
Only modification done is a period VW Votex golfball gear knob.
The orange mk1 is so clean,the paint work is one of best ive seen.

DUB_MK3

RMS Regular
managed to get a look around this at kilbroney, such a cool car! have had loads of 3f gt's in my time but have always wanted one of these but never managed to get one.
great wee car and good luck with it :grinning:

that stock brothers mk1 was awesome too. would love it too.

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Thanks @DUB_MK3 the Polo is running the best.
Ive always been a huge Polo nerd & i was on the lookout these last few years for a GT or a Coupe S.
After much searching i was swaying towards a GT as the odd one used to come up for sale from time to time but i never seen a S for sale.
So when i spotted this and checked it over i just had to have it as it was in such good shape for its age.

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Another update which i love...
I had been looking into getting some information from VW on the wee polo like when it was built etc so after abit of searching i came across the VW Museum in Wolfsburg that could supply me with Build/Data Sheet Information.
So sent away all my car details and i had actually forgot all about it until the weekend.
But after a couple of months i got all the spec sheets on when car was built/left factory & options added at factory etc.
20160725_163551.jpg

20160725_163416.jpg

20160725_164449.jpg

20160725_164347.jpg

(Excuse the black marks)

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
I put this in the today i bought thread but thought id update this thread too.
Finally bought an ultra rare Fischer Tape Deck Holder for my wee Coupe S Polo.
Been after one for ages but they are like hens teeth.
My mate sourced me it so im well happy as it was the only optional extra i was missing for the car!
Roll on DubShed.
20170104_223649.png

The car has been garaged since after Titanic Dubs but going to get taxed then a fresh MOT in Feb and get it back out on the road.
Really miss driving it lol.