1987 Mk2 Golf GTI 3.2 vr6

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Bit of progress, finally. Half of the underseal off on the main floorpan, drivers side to do then the rear end to do.
IMG_20211010_161530.jpg

Once thats done I'll go around with smaller tools and make sure all bits of seamsealer are off.

IMG_20211010_181146.jpg

Front and rear brake caliper adaptors arrived from Epytec. This will let me run porsche brembo 4 pots up front and r32 rear calipers. I need to see if the 3.2 tt rear calipers are the same as r32 as I have them rather than having to get more parts.

I also ordered some other bits for the brake system. As I'm trying to have the bay as neat and tidy as possible I've gone for a Chase Bays servo removal kit (I refuse to refer to deleting parts 😂). I also picked up a bias valve at the same time. Just the wait for these parts to come from USA too.
Chase_Bays_Honda_Nissan_Mazda_Subaru_Brake_Booster_Delete_1_1080x.png

Chase_Bays_Adjustable_two_way_Bias_proportioning_valve_1080x.jpg

Obviously the car was meant to go to paint last month, but missed that hah. Hopefully get the shell ready and at paint soon. Target to have the car ready is June next year for Players Classic, so time yet. As long as it drives on and off a trailer by then I'll be happy.

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
What platform of R32 and TT for the rear calipers I can check that for you.

Also your trucking along at a steady pace this is good to see. I love the chase bay stuff looks real tidy.

I sat down last Tuesday and made a list of what i need to finish mine its only when I dig deeper I've suddenly realized I have a lot to get and that I did bin some much needed bits.

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
I cant edit my last post but here are two O.E numbers for the Calipers

8N0 615 424 B - Right hand side suits 3.2 TT and Mk4 R32
1J0 615 424 E - Left hand side suits 3.2 TT and Mk4 R32

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
I’m pretty sure they’re same, with them both being Quattro platform - 2wd MkIV Golf GTi ones are different for example, even though they use the same size 256mm vented discs IIRC

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
I cant edit my last post but here are two O.E numbers for the Calipers

8N0 615 424 B - Right hand side suits 3.2 TT and Mk4 R32
1J0 615 424 E - Left hand side suits 3.2 TT and Mk4 R32
Thanks for that!

TBH, it wasn't made clear if it was a mk4 or mk5 R32 rear caliper, but takes the 256 x 22 rear disc which I think is Mk4 so should be all good fingers crossed.

Happy days, should be one less thing to buy, 9N polo hubs, flexis, caliper rebuild kit, handbrake cable and discs and thats the back end brake / suspension all done.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Thanks for that!

TBH, it wasn't made clear if it was a mk4 or mk5 R32 rear caliper, but takes the 256 x 22 rear disc which I think is Mk4 so should be all good fingers crossed.

Happy days, should be one less thing to buy, 9N polo hubs, flexis, caliper rebuild kit, handbrake cable and discs and thats the back end brake / suspension all done.

What 9n hubs are you needing/getting?

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Thanks for that!

I'm assuming the 9n hubs are similar to the mark 4 hubs. If so, the rear calipers are the same, but the 4wd carriers will need spacers to fit. Octavia vRS or Golf V5 are likely the carriers you will need.

Wayne D

RMS Regular
Drives
Family Wagon
I don't know how I managed to miss this thread, awesome work and level of detail as always mate. Cant wait to see this when you have it completed.

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Finally got a bit of a move on. Boring photos but finally making progress. Nearly all the underseal off and heading towards all bare metal.
IMG_20220213_182250.jpg

IMG_20220213_181324.jpg

Not bad for a 35 year old car!

Some of the (very minimal needed) welding half done.
IMG_20220219_174351.jpg

IMG_20220223_131349.jpg

Welds to be tidied a bit too. Once the rest of the welding is done it'll be a case of cleaning up, epoxy, seamsealer and gravitex. Then finish off the engine bay and wait until the call for the shell to go to paint.

Going slower than I want really but heading in the right direction.

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Its boring work removing the underseal but worth it in the end. Your moving on rightly with it I wish i could say the same about mine I hope to have it on all four wheels this weekend and work out what seats im going to use then start into the dry build.

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Its boring work removing the underseal but worth it in the end. Your moving on rightly with it I wish i could say the same about mine I hope to have it on all four wheels this weekend and work out what seats im going to use then start into the dry build.
Ah it isn't half a boring job! The cars either side of it need the same done as well, but at least the subaru has pretty much no underseal on it :joy:

Cheers, it is getting there! What are you thinking for seats for yours?

Must give you a shout on the polo hubs for the rear too!

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Ah it isn't half a boring job! The cars either side of it need the same done as well, but at least the subaru has pretty much no underseal on it :joy:

Cheers, it is getting there! What are you thinking for seats for yours?

Must give you a shout on the polo hubs for the rear too!

It is boring but also rewarding when the bottom half turns out better than what you think it will.

As far as seats go I have no clue. I have my custom made Mk4 R32 seats but they wont suit the build so I've been looking for some fixed back buckets in Carbon and Orange but the down side is I need to try seats as my roll cage limits my space and not everyone is happy to send a tester my way and I don't want to spend the money and them not work.

Real bad picture.

1645779719367.png

Last edited:

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Slight progress is still progress. Underneath the front chassis legs and to the end of the floor pan bare metalled and coated in Bilt Hamber electrox. Really high zinc content so should offer decent corrosion resistance. It goes on very thick with the brush but will be textured underseal going over so not too worried about how many brush marks there are.

Random ***** lying everywhere as we've been having a bit of a tidy up with the other end of this garage.

Inside edge of the legs left as is because they'll be getting painted with the engine bay.

Have a bit of motivation back now so hopefully not be much longer to finish the floor and then back on to finishing the bay.

PXL_20220801_170050229.jpg

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Subaru you say? Another thread needed!
Ah just a 1995 WRX Ra that was too cheap not to buy as it was very solid and has minimal mods (pretty much prodrive spoiler, exhaust and dump valve). It's the shell behind the golf on the other spit at the minute 😂

Not deserving of a thread just yet, have a few other projects to get through first then it's up for a rebuild. Some day.

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Had a productive day yesterday with @jayme coming up to help push getting the floor sorted.

Very nearly at the point where the floor is done except for the inner rear arches.

Main floor and inner front wings is now done, used 3M underbody coating which gave a nice finish. Hopefully be on its wheels soon enough to finish the engine bay and wait for paint.
PXL_20220806_194130162.jpg

I think the other thing I've got which I didn't add to the thread was new bonnet hinges from Fabless. These replace the entire factory hinge and add a strut so no need for a bonnet stay and much tidier than adding a strut half way down the wing.
PXL_20220504_095426324.jpg

Also have another gearbox sorted with all the hard work done (hardened gears, diesel 5th and Quaife diff), just waiting on getting that home (have an interior too, but no update on that until I've it paid off and collected, but safe to say it brings things up another level!).

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Next step done. Have put the car round the other way and upside down too to try and make sure it's all covered well.

Will take another look at it later this evening and touch up any bits that need it.

Then just the rear inner wings to finish. Bit of welding on the usual filler neck area but not too bad all things considered.

Thankfully close to dry build stage and then build the engine / wait for paint.
PXL_20220820_110501949.jpg

PXL_20220820_110453868.jpg

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Bit more progress.

Got the underseal dug out of the drivers back arch to see how bad the rot is there. Not bad really in the grand scheme of things. Cut the back arch out as much as was needed.
PXL_20220918_155054174.jpg
PXL_20220918_155057857.jpg
PXL_20220918_155101224.jpg
PXL_20220918_164132396.jpg
PXL_20220918_164014619.jpg

Next up will be fettling the arch repair panel and making sure it lines up properly.

Other side thankfully just needs the lip cut off and sealed up and then coated in underseal.

Also got the rack dismantled and the main body vapour blasted as well as the front subframe powder coated.
PXL_20220918_155402473.jpg

IMG-20220913-WA0000.jpg

I'm thinking about getting the rack cerakoted to keep it fresh.

Once that's done this can all be put back together, ready to go onto the car.

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Got my interior picked up today.

Period correct electric Recaro front seats trimmed in Harris Tweed, rear seat and door cards done in same, with leather trim on the tops of the cards and on door pockets.

Not in the photo is all the pillar trims which are done in leather and the dashboard, also done in leather. The headlining is trimmed in alcantara and still in the car I bought this out of as they're fragile at the best of times and I'm a long way off needing to put it in!

PXL_20220923_135214569.jpg

PXL_20220923_135226902.jpg

Next up, finish the wee bits of welding at the back of the shell, finish sealing the back inner arches and then finish the engine bay.

56oval

RMS Regular

Period correct electric Recaro front seats trimmed in Harris Tweed, rear seat and door cards done in same, with leather trim on the tops of the cards and on door pockets.

Not in the photo is all the pillar trims which are done in leather and the dashboard, also done in leather. The headlining is trimmed in alcantara and still in the car I bought this out of as they're fragile at the best of times and I'm a long way off needing to put it in!

View attachment 375850
View attachment 375851

Next up, finish the wee bits of welding at the back of the shell, finish sealing the back inner arches and then finish the engine bay.
Oh yes. Spectacular 😍

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A

View attachment 375850
View attachment 375851

From Matts car? Sad to see it get broke if it is, but glad they went to a good home

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Welded the arch in. Wasn't happy with it and managed to create some warps. Generally not good enough personally.
PXL_20221002_152149611.jpg

Lost heart a bit, so put some of the front end in (arb may or may not be in correctly 😂).

received_478417540908115.jpeg

received_787180842541200.jpeg

Ordered new droplinks and waiting for new powerflex bushes to work with the eibach arb, hopefully arriving next week. Also waiting on the steering rack from cerakote treatment in nuluk.

At the weekend @jayme came up to help remedy the back arch mess.

Cut out the earlier repair.
received_1462838637541009.jpeg

Cut a bit more.
received_794003798330252.jpeg

Mocked up the new inner repair.
received_606015911324640.jpeg

Yes, I used my Meguiars DA with a sanding pad to take the paint back to metal 😂

With the outer panel lined up, it should be neat enough provided we can get the welding done neatly and without issue this time. Fingers crossed!
received_861996841824911.jpeg
received_650904173190458.jpeg