1991 Honda Civic 1.6i-VT / EE9 (LHD)

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
I remember having to take an old car (can't remember what it was exactly) to MOT for my dad years ago and I distinctly remember him telling me to rag the life out of it on the way to the center and not to turn it off while waiting to be seen or it would fail on emissions.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Great read, love projects like this! Hard to beat lots of head scratching and cunning plans!

Keep up the good work.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Same here with my rx8, common practice to hammer it before mot lol

tbh I do that now with ever car, even with decats lol. Prefer engine running hotter (prob just superstition lol)

michelinman

RMS Regular
OP
michelinman
Drives
e46
What a great read this is, subscribed, thoroughly respect the effort to do this right without cutting any corners. Fair play to you sir

Thank you very much, I hope you continue to enjoy the rest of the story :grinning: Honestly, it was probably stubbornness more than anything else, that led me to this point!

This is a superb thread. It has everything I like and features a rare Honda, subbed!

That's really kind of you, thanks! This is my 3rd Civic and this time it's a keeper :grinning:

I remember having to take an old car (can't remember what it was exactly) to MOT for my dad years ago and I distinctly remember him telling me to rag the life out of it on the way to the center and not to turn it off while waiting to be seen or it would fail on emissions.

You know, you are absolutely right! Its only after reading your post, that I recalled this fact from my own dad and his history of Mini's and Sunbeams :laughing: I was laughing with him on the phone just now, because he reminded me that as a kid I liked to go with him to MOTs (back in the days when they didn't chuck your passengers out), but I always fell asleep, even through the MOT, so I missed the whole thing and raged about it when we got home :laughing:

Great read, love projects like this! Hard to beat lots of head scratching and cunning plans!

Keep up the good work.

Hahaha! Thanks so much, I am really glad that you're enjoying reading, as much as I am enjoying piecing my memory of it all together :laughing:

Same here with my rx8, common practice to hammer it before mot lol

tbh I do that now with ever car, even with decats lol. Prefer engine running hotter (prob just superstition lol)

LMAO! When I eventually took the 330 for it's test, it was just after the Honda test fiasco and honestly, I did the same thing for fear of repetition! Nothing to do with now having a good reason to enjoy the speed limit free sections of the Autobahn :laughing:

Onto the next chapter of this tale 🤓

I had yet to turn a wheel of the Civic on the road, but it had traveled around 1000km by trailer :laughing: and so had got quite dirty! Before its 4th trip to "Carbucks", I gave it a quick wash. Looking back at it now, a cleaning session should have been a very low priority, but I thought it might bring the old Civic some luck (that was the only thing left that I could't buy online 🤑)

IMG_2648.jpg

I guess its not much of a surprise that Germany has a lot of laws. But some laws initially surprised me:

For example, in residential areas, you are not allowed to make noise on a Sunday or between the hours of 1 to 3pm on any day; for instance, you can't cut the grass at those times, or you get a hefty fine :eek: But on the flip side, I have really got accustomed to the quietness now, so I totally respected the fact that I couldn't really sit and get the Civic's cat hot in my driveway.

But if you have property near a commercial area, it seems that the noise laws are not applicable (certainly not if you have a commercial property). My mate's yard is privately owned, but close to a commercial zone and therefore we would potentially not attract so much attention.

For the purpose of the rest of this story, I will call my mate Rumpelstiltskin to protect his real identity 🤥

So I loaded the Civic up (again) and left it overnight down at Rumpelstiltskin's yard. He parked his brother's (lets call him Bumpelstiltskin) MR2 project in front of it to help block it all in, so that in the morning, we could leave it running for a good while and still find it there!

IMG_2657.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

I swung by the next day to a running, idling Civic which had already been through two cycles of activating the cooling fan 🥵 Rumpelstiltskin had kindly got up early and got it started ahead of time. He even gave the engine a few grand of RPMs once up to operating temperature, so our feline friend was toasty and ready to do something helpful. But now we had to initiate the slightly mad part of the plan...

To drive to the aforementioned, "Carbucks" caffeine&carbon monoxide delicatessen, we had to travel by the autobahn. This would probably result in a hefty dose of cooling air to the trailered Civic and undo all the effects of Rumpelstiltskin's hot date with my Civic 🤬

Bumpelstiltskin moved his MR2 😇

I hooked up the trailer and Rumpelstiltskin got into the Civic 🤔

I drove the Civic onto the autobahn and Rumpelstiltskin lay down in the Civic to hide 😬

I kept looking the rear view mirror to make sure Rumpelstiltskin couldn't be seen and tried to look as innocent as I could (through the sweating and panicking of how I would explain all of this to Rumpelstiltskin's family, if we got hit by a HGV or arrested on the autobahn) 😵

Rumpelstiltskin proceeded to keep the Civic engine running and I definitely caught some confused glances of drivers next to me, obviously hearing two engines instead of one 🤫

Rumpelstiltskin told me later, that he thought he heard someone yelling at me, that my car was driving off the trailer 🤣

But me and my "fairy tale imaginary friend", made it to the test centre in one piece, with a very sweaty imaginary friend who felt that: once upon a very long time ago, in a place far, far away, (or what seemed like it), would never see anything other than this view again 🤪

IMG_3200.jpg

Perhaps I have embellished this story of getting the Civic on the road and rambled on a bit now, but Rumpelstiltskin and I have laughed and joked about this entire saga for months now. Putting it into writing has brought it all back and if you are still here, I hope you were able to enjoy a little of the fun that Rumpelstiltskin and I had!

But you may be as pleased and thrilled as we were, to hear that the idle CO reading was now 0.06% (and how the barista mentioned how surprised he was that the heating on a 30 year old car was still so effective), as he handed me the pass certificate!

IMG_4717.jpg

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
This is brilliant. It's like reading a good book, finishing a chapter and having to wait for the next chapter to be written.

Love the car too.

Bumpelstiltskin lol 😂

Edited to say they have some strange rules and laws in Germany alright. Right has right of way at an uncontrolled junction nearly caught me out a couple of times (though I think that's not just Germany, applies in some other countries too) and it's the only place I ever saw a speed camera in a wheelie bin.

Last edited:

michelinman

RMS Regular
OP
michelinman
Drives
e46
This is brilliant. It's like reading a good book, finishing a chapter and having to wait for the next chapter to be written.

Love the car too.

Bumpelstiltskin lol 😂

Edited to say they have some strange rules and laws in Germany alright. Right has right of way at an uncontrolled junction nearly caught me out a couple of times (though I think that's not just Germany, applies in some other countries too) and it's the only place I ever saw a speed camera in a wheelie bin.

Thank you very much :blush: I am really happy to hear that you've enjoyed reading it so far! I still have a few more chapters to share, as I was going to discover, the roller coaster ride was far from over :laughing:

Sorry, I missed your edit first time round and edited my post accordingly :grinning:

Yeah, the biggest annoyance about living in Germany is that I can't wash my car in my own driveway using soap etc. You are only allowed to rinse your car with water, but I also have to pay for water here. I understand the reasoning - its to prevent chemicals getting into the waste water system, which keeps our water supply clean. But it is a right pain to have to drive somewhere that has decent self service equipment and its also illegal to wash your car on a Sunday in Germany.

But I also live close to the Netherlands, where you can wash any day, at any hour and also bring your own mitts, wheel cleaner etc. In Germany, most car washes don't allow you to bring your own gear 🤬

But you have to take the good and the bad. I also live close to the biggest network of de-restricted autobahns in the North Rhine Westphalia and I can regularly dry my cars on my return into Germany at any reasonable speed that the conditions allow. I can tell you that the Honda has reached 220kph indicated and still had a little space before the redline :laughing:

Last edited:

michelinman

RMS Regular
OP
michelinman
Drives
e46
Honestly lad your thread has injected a much need breath of fresh air into the forum.
Hopefully this will encourage the rest of us to up our games in terms of keeping our threads up to date

Thanks a lot for your kind words! I really appreciate it and I totally understand how hard it is to keep our threads updated. I promise that I will bring you all right up to the present day with the EE9 very shortly. My last post above, only brings this story up to around the end of July last year :eek:

michelinman

RMS Regular
OP
michelinman
Drives
e46

Sorry forgot to add this to my other reply: you’re totally dead on about the right of way rule. I am in constant lookout for that yellow diamond and when I don’t see it, I chant “rechts vor links” which means, right before left. As you know, you have to let traffic from the right pass first, which is the complete opposite to a roundabout here. Total mind bender alright!

The speed cameras are everywhere for sure! I’ve seen them disguised in all sorts of ways just like you said! There is a new one actually built into the end of an Armco barrier on the Autobahn near Cologne. It just looks like the end cap for the barrier, but it’s only purpose in life is to take pictures and spoil your fun!

At least the fines up to 20kph over are not too bad (ask me how I know lol). I was caught 73kph in a 70 which means I was actually driving 76 (they give you 3kph grace if you are less than 10kph over), which cost me 10 euro and nil points.

Last edited:

michelinman

RMS Regular
OP
michelinman
Drives
e46
I've never written a script, but if this was a movie (maybe we could call it "The Gassed and The Dubious"), these next few chapters could be the main action part of the story! But in this case, the stunt team's budget was cut and all it has are a few GoPro clips, that are sitting in the editing departments inbox. The plan is to papier maché these clips together at some point in the near future :laughing:

I was able to find a local company happy to insure an old Honda. In this part of Germany (in my opinion), it seems that local traffic looks upon Japanese cars with more disdain than German cars, especially older Japanese models. I have assumed this, because after dailying the Honda for over 6 months last year, I can say that other drivers show a lot more respect when I drive the BMWs vs the Honda 🤔

Couple days after the test and armed with my TÜV pass certificate and my online insurance number (which in Germany is electronically connected to the vehicle licensing department), I visited my local version of the DVLNI to get my license plates authorised and the Honda registered into my name. Once they confirm your insurance number and details, you get a couple of green registration documents, which are very similar in colour and texture to the green tax books we used to get in N.I. before the current EU style docs. I found this quite ironic, I wonder what the UK registration docs will look like after 2021...

The license plates get two official stickers for the rear: 1 sticker showing the licensing region and that the car is taxed and the other sticker showing when the TÜV is valid to. The front plate only gets the regional sticker. Once the license plates are registered, you can fit them to the car and drive legally on the road. An interesting point: if you lose a license plate, or get them stolen, (after you have reported it to the authorities), the license number cannot be re-used for 5 years. This is sad if you have a nice plate, but more importantly it also prevents potential cloning or other such crimes.

IMG_2739.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

Finally I could show the Honda some tar! I drove straight over to Rumpelstiltskin's house and met up with him, Bumpelstiltskin and their dad (just gonna call him Bob). All they needed was a Honda parking only sign and this next picture would be complete :laughing:

IMG_2775.jpg

Rumpelstiltskin, Bumpelstiltskin, Bob and me piled into the Honda and headed off to the local curly wurly roads in the hills. I have a really funny GoPro clip of this drive, but I need to make some visual and/or audio "edits" to this before I can post it online :laughing: Maybe someday I will be able to manage it!

In the meantime, let me just report to you the following facts:
  • VTEC worked perfectly
  • VTEC makes me and my friends laugh a lot
  • VTEC uses some additional petrol than normal
  • VTEC needs a little more oil than normal
  • Independent front and rear suspension works very well on a 1000kg car
  • Independent front and rear suspension on a 1000kg car provides astonishing levels of grip
  • Four fully grown Stiltkins do not have the capability to remain seated in one place when the aforementioned grip is employed
  • New brakes being bedded in, can produce a rather unique smell and taste in the air and have the appearance of being on fire
And the last (maybe most important) fact:
  • I freaking love this car
To put some visual perspective into how well this car handles (without GoPro footage being available at this point), I can show you that jacking up one rear corner of the Civic to take one rear wheel off, inadvertently gives you access to remove both wheels from the rear axle, if you so dearly wished to.

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

Then basically, I daily drove the Civic for the next few months and took the 330 off the road and thought about (completely forgot about) what I needed to do to it.

IMG_2790.jpg

When I think of a Fiat 500, I don't think about a large car. So when I took the Civic to work, this made me really laugh out loud!

IMG_2980.jpg

Last edited:

michelinman

RMS Regular
OP
michelinman
Drives
e46
Great car and a great write up

Thanks very much, happy to hear you're enjoying the read :grinning:

Brilliant thread! Keep the updates coming!

Thank you, I appreciate that! There's more to catch up on from last year and I am already making new plans for this year lol!

Now that the Civic was in daily use, I was piling the kilometres on and whilst sitting in traffic, my brain monkey was hard at work spiking my thoughts with what to buy next :eek:

I was surprised to find some after-market floor mats still available for sale online. I could imagine some warehouse manager somewhere thinking to themselves that they had finally shifted some stock for a 30 year old car :laughing:

IMG_3189.jpg

They were branded as "custom fit", but at 40 Euro for the set of front and rears, I was sure that they were really just universal... however I was pleasantly surprised!

IMG_3190.jpg

The kilometres kept piling on and I will admit that the Civic drove surprisingly well as a daily commuter. Fun mode was only a sharp corner away and throttle response was rapid in any gear. I can't really compare it with the EP3, it is a completely different experience. With no ABS or traction control, it definitely brought me back to the early 90's when I had passed my driving test. The engine just loves to rev and I really have to watch the tacho when on it, because initially I accidentally hit the limiter a couple of times which is somewhere around 9k :eek: The amount of km's on the car does not represent how well it drives or how strong the engine feels. I feel like the Civic just wants to be driven, easy or hard, it doesn't seem to care!

IMG_3220.jpg

Modern cars have felt lardy to me in recent years and the Civic is such a breath of fresh air to drive. I keep forgetting how small the Civic is compared to current designs and when I park next to someone, it always makes me laugh how small it appears to be! But four adults can sit in it with plenty of leg room!

IMG_3230.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

Next thing on the agenda was purely cosmetic and a total throw back to 90's styling :laughing:

My Civic was missing all of its original decals and although I couldn't find any Civic specific sets for sale, I was able to get a set for a CRX, which apart from the obvious parts, was more or less the same as the Civic. Got these posted over from England and they arrived really nicely packaged.

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

Started with the rear and first got rid of the dealer vinyl that I hated.

IMG_3258.jpg

The centre piece between the rear lights was also not from an EE9. These are normally coloured red and the black one I had was from a lower spec model. But actually, in comparison to the EE9 version, I actually prefer it and so I just fitted the VTEC vinyl underneath the Civic logo.

Original EE9

image_1L.jpg

Mine

IMG_3259.jpg

Rumpelstiltskin bought me a 1:18 model of the EE9 and I was able to use it help me figure out the position of the vinyls on the doors :laughing:

IMG_3260.jpg

IMG_3263.jpg

IMG_3265.jpg

IMG_3266.jpg

IMG_3269.jpg

I know it might seem really superficial and not in line with current styling trends, but I just love how the vinyls change how the Civic looks!

michelinman

RMS Regular
OP
michelinman
Drives
e46
As you may have guessed by now, I am a big fan of the 90's and while I don't have a shell suit, I still listen to a lot of 90's music. So what better way to take me back in time (as Radiohead, REM and Oasis hummed in my earphones), was a dose of Autoglym Super Resin Polish? That smell was a large part of my childhood, as I spent my summer weekends, getting white residue stuck in the shut-lines of my dad's Sierra or my Grandfather's XJS :laughing: There was nothing sweeter then that "aniseed" scent on a glorious quiet summer Sunday, especially in Germany when no Stihls or Kangos were allowed to be used :laughing: But this time, the only difference was my child like attempt to keep the shut lines of the Civic residue free :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

IMG_3269.jpg

IMG_3270.jpg

IMG_3271.jpg

IMG_3274.jpg

IMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

My 1990's polishing techniques were "ok", but I really need to get with the times and change up my playlist to something more modern. I think I need to invest in a German Saturday friendly DA and download some twenty one pilots because from this angle, you can see the paintwork has seen much better days. Still, the Civic looked better than it did when I woke up that morning...

IMG_3278.jpg

IMG_3289.jpg

michelinman

RMS Regular
OP
michelinman
Drives
e46
"Superficial cosmetics" could be the name of a current indie band, but in my case it was how I describe the continuation of my attempt to rejuvenate my Civic!

The bumper stripes were completely worn out. Although how its possible to wear out a bumper stripe, I will never really know! Maybe its something to do with shouting YOLO while driving it...

IMG_3303.jpg

Anyhoo, I wanted to change them and found someone selling a genuine EE9 OEM Honda bumper stripe kit. The online picture wasn't great, but the part numbers checked out. A very rare part indeed!

stripe.JPG

But he wanted 80 Euro and that buys a lot of Super Unleaded, so I thought better of myself and decided to buy non genuine, EEbay had plenty :laughing:

In that case, I could pick almost whatever colour I wanted! So then I agonised over what colour to pick and started wondering why I was causing myself agony because this was really the most superficial of cosmetics!

So, I loaded up several options into my watch list and I actually just closed my eyes and clicked the screen and decided whatever went into my online basket would be ordered!

This is what I ended up with :laughing: And it was a fiver, so no clickie, no tryie :laughing:

orange_stripe.JPG

Getting the old stripe off needed a bit of TLC and my wife's hairdryer, but it came off relatively easily and first I tried a small section of the orange to see what it would look like :eek:

IMG_3304.jpg

Then I agonised over it again and just decided, "sod it", so I pulled the rest of the old stripe off!

IMG_3308.jpg

And then I took far too long to fit the orange one because I was so OCD over getting it straight! I was wondering why I had ever started this, but I was knee deep and just needed to keep going...

IMG_3310 (2).jpg

IMG_3316.jpg

IMG_3324.jpg

I am still in two minds about the orange and maybe just even plain black is better, but I still have it fitted all these months later and the jury is out :laughing:

IMG_3326.jpg

IMG_3327.jpg

IMG_3335.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3341.jpg

When I refitted the license plate holder, I put some additional screws into the bumper to match the curve of the bumper. It was hanging like a handlebar moustache before!

IMG_3342.jpg

Aaand, done! Photo overload coming to show you all angles, because I can't decide about this anymore :laughing:

IMG_3344.jpg

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3352.jpg

IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

IMG_3358.jpg

Here's a random engine bay picture, taken as a screen shot from some GoPro footage, just to break up the end of this tango stripe saga :laughing:

IMG_3357.JPG

michelinman

RMS Regular
OP
michelinman
Drives
e46
As this story/lecture/failed-script, feels like now its reached a moment for cruise control, or even its natural conclusion as the Civic was finally a resurrected daily driver, I am really thankful to those of you who are still here reading this!

But you may be interested to read that there is a "twist" or more appropriately a "face palm" slap in the face, fork in the road, with the EE9 :sob:

I would love to have been able to fabricate an interesting Jackanory of how I was wronged, or use some artistic license and spin a tale of how I dodged near death while taking some German B road a full tilt.

But the truth is...

I gone and fecked up :eek:

Unfortunately and truthfully, the steering lock on the EE9 is dreadful and it took me quite a few weeks getting used to manoevering it at parking speeds. I think its something to do with the combination of universal joints that Honda used. They feel completely out of phase to me. What that means is, when moving the steering wheel from lock to lock, it goes heavy, light, heavy, light and its not pleasant to move around at parking speeds.

One day while moving the Honda, I managed to clip the offside wing with the trailer which was happily minding its own business waiting for the next project car 🤮

It wasn't very hard to put a nice crease into my wing and gift some of that recently waxed 30 year old paint to the corner of the trailer 🤬

I was so feckin livid with myself!

But I put the Honda straight into the garage and my brain monkey did its worst!

Full disclosure - this next series of pictures shows a COMPLETE and UTTER amateur at work. This is not intended to be a guide to how to fix bent body work. This is for entertainment purposes only! And boy, you will likely be entertained. I am a completely UN-photogenic individual and I apologise in advance for the next series of pictures!

This is how the wing looked 😰😭😥😓 (I still feel pain looking at this months later!)

IMG_3383.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality of the next few photos. I did a timelapse with my GoPro and just took some screenshots for now :laughing:

As you can see, I have no earthly need for a hairdryer. So when I asked for the lend of my wife's (again), I was feeling as doubtful as the looks my wife was giving me!

IMG_3384.jpg

I heated up the area around the crease on the wing and used some wood and gentle pressure from behind to try and "massage" the crease out. Please don't ask me why I used this technique, or why I didn't ask a professional to come sort it. I was so angry, upset and sick with myself, I wasn't ready to admit my mistake to the outside world :laughing:

IMG_3385.jpg

Needed my spanner monkey to come help me out a bit, so I could get both hands pushing the wing

IMG_3386.jpg

IMG_3387.jpg

IMG_3388.jpg

But in the end, I completely surprised myself with the results! I am not going to pretend it was even remotely close to being good, but it was good enough!

IMG_3389.jpg

But there was still some small undulations showing up my severe lack of skills.

IMG_3390.jpg

The wing was already a slightly different colour to the passenger door (I think from the original front accident, where it needed to replaced or repaired), so I took a deep breath and put some more of my non-skills to the test :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Here you can see where the surfaces were undulating. There was also some dents on the top of the wing from when I bought it, so I took into them too and rubbed them with some wet and dry sandpaper (from memory I used 240 grit to start with).

IMG_3413.jpg

Then began a series of rinse and repeat steps which included; body filling, sanding, filler primer and resanding....

Again, I am not going to try and explain these steps, because I really didn't know what I was doing and this is mainly for you to point and laugh at the silly man :laughing:

haha.jpg

IMG_3414.jpg

IMG_3415.jpg

IMG_3418.jpg

IMG_3422.jpg

Long story short... here was the pre-paint result:

IMG_3423.jpg

Again, not wanting to try and pretend that I know how to paint, I put a dust coat on and then 2 or 3 (I forget) layers of base coat and 2 layers of clear coat. But I was so nervous about messing it up, I didn't take any pictures in between applying these coats, so here is the final layer after having just been applied:

IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

IMG_3428.jpg

I left it to cure for a couple of days and then built it back up again. I still need to polish it, but I just drove the car and didn't wash it for about a month, to try and let the paint harden.

This was how it looked in the daylight after a few weeks

IMG_3458.jpg

Its still not a great colour match to the door or the bonnet, but honestly and in my opinion, its no worse than it was before and deletes my really embarrassing mistake :laughing:

A lesson learned and now I park this thing like a 20 point turn granny in the supermarket :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: (no offence to grannies or supermarkets intended!)

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Looks like you did a great job. Fair play to you on tackling bodywork. I'll pull an engine apart all day long but don't let me near a bodywork job. I've zero patience when it comes to body filler and paint.

michelinman

RMS Regular
OP
michelinman
Drives
e46
Looks like you did a great job. Fair play to you on tackling bodywork. I'll pull an engine apart all day long but don't let me near a bodywork job. I've zero patience when it comes to body filler and paint.

Thank you very much! I guess the camera hides some sins lol, but I have to admit that the finish improved over time. I assume this is something to do with the paint hardening or something :laughing: But I totally agree with you, this is not my comfort zone :laughing:

Best thread on RMS at the moment with the updates and humour. Class work.

Wow, I am humbled by your kind words! Thank you so much! The updates are almost up the to the present day, but there are a lot of plans in the brewing pot for 2020 :grinning:

Awww Shak, this is just class. I've spent ages reading through this again and have just made myself late for work

Lol Geoff! Thanks again mate, I'm really glad that you are enjoying the thread and I hope you don't get into any trouble at work :eek:

I am not sure if this is a good idea, but then I realised that this thread wouldn't exist if I worried about what was, or was not a good idea :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

So here's the video of the wing (fender) repair time lapse in non of its glory, because I haven't a baldy notion about video production (wish that I didn't have any other baldy things either, but you get what you get :laughing:)

michelinman

RMS Regular
OP
michelinman
Drives
e46
I think that daily driving a car you love in summer, is like wearing rose coloured specs and I forgave the Civic a few misdemeanours here and there! I suspected that I had a water leak somewhere that led into the boot, but it wasn't very bad and I didn't really pay it much attention.

But when winter last year finally slapped its cold, wet and dark hands over my face, it also ripped off my rose coloured specs and the boot leak was getting in the way of enjoying my 30 year old daily :worried:

IMG_3430.jpg

Is still wasn't too bad, but it wasn't drying itself out like the summer sun encouraged and so the atmosphere inside the car was like a sauna where the electric bills weren't getting paid +o(

So after much procrastination and consternation, which led to a lot of scrutinisation and dissection 🤯, I should have just looked in the obvious location :laughing:

Stoooooopid boy that I is!

I finally found the leak which was coming from one of the rear light clusters...

IMG_3431.jpg

IMG_3433.jpg

It was a really easy fix at least and I removed the cluster and could see it had been leaking for a while!

The gasket had, had it :laughing:

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3441.jpg

A little clean up on aisle 5!

IMG_3446.jpg

Then I used some rubber sealer normally used for re-sealing headlights (I think its butyl but I can't remember to what depths of eeeebay I went to find it!)

Its sticky, but is designed to allow the part its attached to, to be removable. So I fitted some to the gasket on one side, and used SIKA on the other side of the "no longer available" gasket. Then the gasket was stuck to plastic casing of the cluster, but on the side attached to the car, a little heat is all that's needed to remove it if needed.

IMG_3454.jpg

Once refitted, I drove the Civic through a few more days of lovely weather and I discovered that the other cluster was leaking too :laughing: So I did the same on the other side :laughing:

But it didn't take long to see the positive effects of not having continuous condensation on the interior parts of the car and I felt like a "fog" had been lifted from the interior!

The gasket on the rear clusters stayed completely devoid of H20!

IMG_3457.jpg

The dark winter drives also forced me to change up the headlight bulbs. I stuck with standard halogens and bought some Philips X-tremeVision replacements. I also looked at Osram Night Breakers, but it was really hard to tell them apart on YouTube or online reviews. I think it came down to a faster delivery time or price in the end, but they made a reasonable difference. Not a "Night and Day" difference, but more like the feeling you get when you finally dust the screen of your laptop :laughing:

H4.JPG

But now the sidelights looked pants...

IMG_3918.jpg

so I spent a frankly, ridiculously high sum of money buying these...

w5w.JPG

But now the sidelights no longer had jaundice...

IMG_3935.jpg

So now the time has come where I can finally say the story of this Civic is up to the present day. I actually feel a little sad, that I don't have anything more of substance to share with you right now :laughing: I can just say, that there is more to come in 2020 and plans are currently in action for some development to get the Civic ready for the 'ring which re-opens on the 7th March this year!

But I finally also sorted my 330 at the end of last year (I will start a new thread for that story), which also has a few roller coastering ups and downs, but not so steep as the Civic's :laughing: :laughing:

IMG_3936.jpg

I have been dailying both cars since November and while its a complete luxury, its a lot of fun and sometimes it also has its useful days!

IMG_3954.JPG

IMG_3956.jpg

Rumpelstiltskin broke his car last week and I lent him the Civic while we work on recovering his cooling system :laughing: So confusion reigns in the office when both of my cars are parked at work :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

IMG_4800.jpg

Hopefully the dust and the cobwebs don't settle on this thread for too long and I will have some more updates to share on what I need to do to make the Civic 'ring ready (ish) :laughing: :laughing: