1995 E34 BMW 525i Sport

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
I've every faith in you as I know we think the same on this **** but please don't mess up that bay :worried:

I know where you're coming from Connor but I think it should be ok. Only issue is going to be packaging the intercooler as I want it as hidden as possible. Probably will be more hassle down the line but we shall see.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
From doing Matt's MK2 it'll be a lot of hassle but I know it'll look good regardless while doing mad burnouts 😂

neil#66

RMS Regular
What an amazing build, looked at this many times during numerous shows last year and was blown away with the work done to it 😎 credit where it’s due lad 👌

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Turbo has arrived!
IMG_20200519_171358.jpg

Just waiting for the manifold, and my fecking tyres still haven't arrived!

Not to start getting everything else gathered for it.

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
IMG_20200530_145739.jpg

Ignore the rusty bolts on the rocker cover, need to replace them before going back on the road.

Threw the turbo on quickly this afternoon. Huge sigh of relief that I don't have to take the hammer to the inner wing for clearance! Some adjustments needed to the turbo but grand for a quick test fit.

Behind the bumper on E34s is very restricted so @jayme has given me an idea that i think we will run with - charge cooling instead of an intercooler. Should mean that the bumper doesn't need chopped up. Will drop the new inlet manifold on tomorrow and take a look to see how it will shape up. Exhaust downpipe is going to be a pain also!

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Charge cooling seems to be a big hit with the guys tuning the F80 M3/M4

MarkM

RMS Regular
Charge cooling seems to be a big hit with the guys tuning the F80 M3/M4

? M3/4 is already charge cooled though. Changing them to an aftermarket one seems th be the latest fad, even though the oem one is efficient! Just doesn’t look spangly

Last edited:

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
? M3/4 is already charge cooled though. Changing them to an aftermarket one seems th be the latest fad, even though the oem one is efficient! Just doesn’t look spangly

Always someone there that picks up on everything 😂 ... I meant upgrading them

I nearly bought Tom Wriggleys F80 M3 and it was running a load of mods including the uprated charge cooler. He raved about them and the gains and benefits from upgrading them. All depends what power you want I suppose.

jayme

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini/ A7
Charge cooling is only as efficient as the system is designed, Imo for Conors car the appropriate planning he is doing at this stage should allow for a system that is more than capable of coping with his heat levels, its only going to be effective if there is enough surface area within the cooler and the additional rad he fits, as well as the volume of the water in the system and a supply of sufficient air flow to his aux rad, having his header tank in the boot with lines running the length of the car will also help as the water will have more time to cool before having to make the return pass.

Could put an argument out that it adds weight and isn't as simple as an fmc which tbf is correct, but he isn't building a race car, plus this should get around the problem of having to cut the bumper which are like hens teeth.

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Cut the bumper and quit being a bitch :joy:

Further update on that, after a bit of a chat with my engineers (my da and @jayme ) today, an intercooler should be doable in a neat way with a bit of planning and thought. Should keep the costs down a little which is a bonus!

Latest quite expensive and probably OTT purchases should arrive next week. A Nuke Performance fuel pressure regulator and gauge from PPF.

dgs-10362_fuel-pressure-regulator-an8-in-an6-out-from-nuke-performance_2.jpg

Screenshot_20200603_145227_com.android.chrome.jpg

Next up will likely be an oil cooler and if I can find one at the right money, a S50 or S54 oil filter housing so I can tun the cooler.

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Very nice build. Great bay. Nothing I love more than a clean tidy minimal looking engine bay.

Thanks, not quite to the level of work on your Datsun! But it's getting better with each time it gets pulled apart.

IMG_20200610_133844.jpg

IMG_20200610_133854.jpg

IMG_20200610_133903.jpg

IMG_20200610_133922.jpg

FPR and guage arrived this week. If the rest of the Nuke stuff is as nice as this I could see me buying more. Really resisting temptation to pull it all apart now, but don't want to until I've got all the parts sitting for it. Also want to drive it with the suspension re-bushing to see what its like.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Thanks, not quite to the level of work on your Datsun! But it's getting better with each time it gets pulled apart.
I think its at just the right level.

And just like one should be doing with their own development, its good to continually improve our cars, learn from mistakes and experiences and come up with new ideas, helps to keep the car and the build interesting.

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Finally got the front tyres. One of the front wheels took a bit more to balance that the rest, hoping that I have them all back together ok. Seem to be holding air so that's a start.
IMG_20200613_130544.jpg

IMG_20200613_191805.jpg

IMG_20200613_191928.jpg

IMG_20200613_191903.jpg

Must say I'm chuffed with the colour choice for the wheels, freshens everything up in my opinion.

Just have to put the normal manifold back on and the front back together and bonnet on and I can get the alignment done and out for a proper drive.