1995 Toyota Supra RZ-S Twin Turbo

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
That'd be great. Thanks Philip.

So only last week I thought I'd only need a four wheel alignment and some polish, but I got the car up on a lift for the first time and realised that the inside of the rear tyres were close to the limit and the 1st cat pipe was looking a bit soft at the cat temp sensor, so.........

- new rear tyres ordered from @RubberLover and booked in for four wheel alignment.
- as I need a new exhaust section at the 1st cat I might as well do a full Basic Performance Upgrade and get both decats, restrictor ring and fuel cut defender. I also used the 15% eBay discount code last night on a new AEM Failsafe combined AFR & boost gauge. I really wanted something a bit more subtle but can't find anything, and at least this fits nicely in where the clock is supposed to go.

This should in theory bring the car closer to 400bhp 8o|

I just hope I can get everything delivered, fitted and setup before Germany in 3 weeks.

$_32.JPG

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
The last few weeks ended up flying in before my Nurburgring trip this year and things didn't exactly go to plan.

I didn't get a chance to get the brakes sorted other than fit a set of fast road pads. The brake nipples were just a bit too soft for me to risk breaking them so close to the trip, so the old fluid ended up unchanged. Same with the braided lines.

Both decats were fitted along with a boost gauge and when I took the car out for a run it should have boosted to around 1bar, but instead boosted to 0.7bar, which is standard boost levels. Towards the end of last year I'd taken the car to Gavin at Gsport for a dyno run, and decided to take it back for another run just to see how it was running after the changes. The results were exactly the same as before. The curves were totally unchanged :weary_face: Some further investigation seems to possibly point to either a restriction in the hoses between the turbos or a sticky VCV which has been preventing the second turbo from spooling, but as the car had been running at standard levels before now I'd never have noticed any real difference. At least the dyno run didn't reveal anything too worrying with the car and AFRs were normal.

Nurburgring trip day arrived and I left knowing the car wasn't running to its full potential or stopping as well as it could, but I wasn't going to let that dampen the holiday. Thirteen of us in seven cars left Larne last Thursday; My Supra, @DaddyC in his V5 Golf, @byd1380 in my old S3, @swervygerdy in his MX5, An AMG A45 and a URS4 Avant.

IMG_0542.jpg

Once in Cairnryan we headed to Carlisle before turning left skirting the north Pennines before reaching Newcastle and boarding the ferry to Amsterdam.

IMG_0557.jpg
IMG_0560.jpg

Once in Amsterdam we collected @technics100 at Schipol Airport and headed to Kieft & Klock who are a vintage VW dealer I've been following for a couple of years on Facebook. They always have some tasty stuff but we didn't realise how much they had until we got there. The lads there were all very welcoming and showed us around the cornucopia of cars, bikes, buses, surf boards! and parts that they had. I took a ton of pics there of random stuff. They even had a couple of vintage Porsche tractors and a V12 tank engine sitting in the yard!

IMG_0744.jpg
IMG_0567.jpg
IMG_0568.jpg
IMG_0571.jpg
IMG_0574.jpg
IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
After that we headed along the motorways, tunnels and autobahns of Holland and Germany

7f94b47b-9506-499c-b235-1c082b29d65e.jpg

As the Nurburgring is only open for just a few hours on Friday evening we decided to get our first lap in fully loaded with all our cases and tools.

IMG_0596.jpg

With that out of the way it was a short journey to our apartment in Adenau.

Saturday morning we got up early and back down to the track for it opening. It was dry, but heard a bit damp in places. This didn't stop me doing a quick lap before heading back to the carpark for a run in Dale Lomas's Ring Tax; a Jaguar XJR 575 limo with 567bhp and 516lb ft and supposedly capable of 200mph. It weighs the same as an M5 but is the size of a 760L.

IMG_0602.jpg

The ring taxi was great craic; wafting around on air suspension he did an 8m 28sec lap, which included slowing down to let an M3 past, before he pushed past him again a few corners later lol It was easy to see the race driver come through after this and he def finished the last few sections with the taps open. This is just a clip of him pushing past the M3 at 115mph.

The weather was to be great all weekend so the car parks started filling up.

IMG_0587.jpg

The rest of Saturday was spent either doing more laps or sitting at Brünnchen (Youtube corner) watching the vast variety of machinery that had turned up. Everything from old Asconas to Aventadors. And lots and lots of GT3s
6da98f91-cb77-4056-91ae-48ed73ba357e.jpg
IMG_0772.jpg
IMG_0773.jpg
IMG_0637.jpg

da88aee0-7b22-406e-bf94-4991719168a9.jpg

Saturday night was at the traditional Pistenklause for steak on a hot stone.

IMG_0684.jpg

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Sunday we went to see DTM. 30 Euro for peasant tickets and we sat in the baking sun for a few hours eating mayo chips and schnitzels.

IMG_0653.jpg
IMG_0705.jpg
IMG_0714.jpg

After DTM we did a few more laps before vodka and Italian food at Pinochios in Adenau.

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

Monday we headed back to Amsterdam. We usually come home on Sunday when the traffic is lighter but this time the Autobahn was a bit busier than usual and the Supra only managed an indicated 160mph before I had to slow things down due to there being too much traffic and a bit of a vibration starting, more than likely due to the alignment, which I couldn't do before leaving as the adjusters are jammed. The rest of the trip home was pretty uneventful and I arrived home Tuesday night after 1,015 miles.

The Supra did not let me down at all even if it wasn't running as it should, and it was great to get more confidence over the weekend as I got more used to pushing it.

I had planned to take the Supra off the road over the winter, but I'll be planning to spend the next month or so trying to figure out why it's not boosting properly. I also need to get the adjusters freed, brakes finished and engine mounts fitted.

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
Fantastic write up! And its good to have a few jobs to do to the project over the winter months. The car will be even better for next year!

Lee

RMS Regular
Looks like it was a class trip and the Supra looks great on the ring.

Also the first time I've seen a chef present somebody with the raw steak before taking it back for cooking

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
Fantastic updates, Supra looks right at home in track.

Best thing is that steak though...

Frustrating that you are having boost issues, the different in acceleration at 1 bar is addictive. Hopefully you get sorted soon.

Todd

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
What a trip!

I'd love to do something like this.

The Supra looks very aggresive when rolling!

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Great trip. Doing the ring in a supra must be cool.

I'd love the take the Datsun there but don't have the balls. Too worried about getting in an accident through the fault of Someone else, its not like I can just replace it either as it takes too much time to build and would cost at least £70k.

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
A simple little change. My AEM display has a non-adjustable white LED which doesn’t go with the rest of the dash’s green lights, so I bought some green lighting filter and put it behind the gauge face.

E5609C26-A84B-48EC-8940-37C1EBF489EC.jpeg

A little bit greener than I’d hoped but I still prefer it to white.

I also noticed after taking the pics that my odometer increased by 1 mile with the engine running but me not actually moving anywhere 8-(

390F8BA4-88A5-4D18-B14B-1F7C7F51A2F0.jpeg

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
It still lives!

D43FF499-AB9C-4289-AAA8-FD65F8E9F72A.jpeg

E4E6056D-9D8B-4DA9-8849-B161D07A4699.jpeg

Well it hibernates. I put it away probably at the end of summer 2019 only to be brought out to the drive for a wash, driveway pic and run it over for a bit before going away for another few months.

Did a coolant change over the weekend with some Toyota Red and taxed it. Washed the garage dust off it at lunchtime there and a wee bit of Anachem Hybrid.

Hope to get a few runs out in it over the next couple of months. It really shouldn’t be sitting inside

Mk4sup

RMS Regular
Looking good. If you don’t want it sitting inside I’ll gladly purchase it from you 😉

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Looking good. If you don’t want it sitting inside I’ll gladly purchase it from you 😉

Haha. The way values have went I still regret not buying yours when it went up for sale

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
I'd love that ... looks so well in silver with the fat five style oem wheels

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I figured as it was a nice night and the car was taxed I’d head over to the JPCCNI car and coffee meet tonight.

I knew nobody there but had a few chats with new people about random sh*te. Some familiar cars from here too but I’m to nervous to say hi to some of the more prominent RMS regulars.

It was great to see plenty of people out and about talking about motors again. Although £2.15 for a Magnum lolly Applegreen?! You cheeky highwaymen!

A22DA000-3AD3-4F97-A17B-09FC61E8E4F8.jpeg
27EB30AC-8AC4-49C5-B20D-095920D37CC5.jpeg
288E5A6E-1384-40C9-B3DC-1F1A0BFFD025.jpeg
BA87C787-15CE-417A-8B21-040AFA07EC9F.jpeg
94EC1317-0584-40EF-95D4-3227D8BA06B3.jpeg
11E8B3BA-D6E0-4123-A5B7-2BF1A2D2499C.jpeg
B581CAEB-55BA-4CF5-822B-A04E6FC72CC5.jpeg
A24DCC9E-A9CB-4432-973C-6D4628F7E7F0.jpeg

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
I figured as it was a nice night and the car was taxed I’d head over to the JPCCNI car and coffee meet tonight.

I knew nobody there but had a few chats with new people about random sh*te. Some familiar cars from here too but I’m to nervous to say hi to some of the more prominent RMS regulars.

It was great to see plenty of people out and about talking about motors again. Although £2.15 for a Magnum lolly Applegreen?! You cheeky highwaymen!

View attachment 325276View attachment 325277View attachment 325278View attachment 325279View attachment 325280View attachment 325281View attachment 325282View attachment 325283
Bugger forgot that was on tonight as I'd have taken a run over

Hard to believe these are nearly 30 years old! Such a beautiful, iconic car

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Bugger forgot that was on tonight as I'd have taken a run over

Hard to believe these are nearly 30 years old! Such a beautiful, iconic car

Aw man! I almost posted in the thread in the events section about it yesterday afternoon. I really should have. Sorry.

2.2_Coupe

RMS Regular
Drives
amps/volts

View attachment 325276View attachment 325277View attachment 325278View attachment 325279View attachment 325280View attachment 325281View attachment 325282View attachment 325283
@syecadelic wishing he'd bought a Honda