1996 VW Passat 1.9 TDI B4 Estate Workhorse

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Darren91

RMS Regular
Picked this up in October 2017 for a measly sum of £300

1996 Passat 1.9 TDI Estate with the renowned 1Z engine, flat black paintwork which use to be Windsor Blue originally, plenty of rust and some niggles.

Myself and @pobmk4 went to Larne to see it, took it a quick test drive and came home with it.

It came on 14" BBS wheels of some sort, horrible coilovers which were surprisingly quite comfortable and a near complete service history. This is how I got it, looking rather sorry for itself (although it doesnt really improve! :grinning: )

As you can see it was re-registered at some stage, I contacted DVLA to enquire about getting the original MAZ registration reinstated by they informed me it is currently held on retention by a previous owner :worried:
e818ceb3-7289-4e01-863e-21baf0a07bcd-jpeg.169589

Myself and @pobmk4 had a couple of minor issues to rectify to make it useable for daily driving;

- Rear window washer was leaking inside the car
- A couple of windows weren't working
- Siezed nsf caliper
- Handbrake was non existent
- Nsf and nsr electric windows weren't working

After those were fixed I started to drive it daily up and down to Antrim averaging a legit 70-80mpg and getting 1000 genuine miles from a full tank of diesel ... can't be bad to that! :grinning:

The car was quite low and caught on every speed bump so I sourced a set of 15" Clio wheels from @southsky sunrise and got them fitted .. gotta love the 4x100 fitment!

c9764dc5-25ea-4255-9659-d6bb6938bbf6-jpeg.172614

Also fitted were a set of uprated .216 injector nozzles, the difference these made to the power was like night and day! It made that much of a difference the clutch now slips in 5th gear below 2000rpm but thats something I'm just gonna have to live with.

Firad_50_80__62226.1352722568.800.600.jpg

Roll onto February this year when its MOT was due, I had bought the car with the intention of scrapping it come MOT but someone (Paul at Dubtech) had other ideas ... lets fix it! We soon realised that this was the wrong decision and ended up doing 25+ hours welding to the underside including fabricating 2 new rear wheel arches for it due to previous bad repairs.

I'll not post any pictures of the progress work as they are quite bad but along with a few more items listed below it passed its MOT yesterday (24th March) and is currently ready to roll for another year!

Additional items needed for MOT;

- 4x new shocks and springs (these were Monroe and Sachs but were hilariously cheap)
- 1 outer and 1 inner CV boot
- Rear silencer (only because we removed the original and put a straight pipe on it!)
- Front pads
- 2 balljoints

This is how it sits today with its standard suspension and the 15s.

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1386.JPG

It's no show pony although it does what it says on the tin, has been super reliable, I don't have to worry where I park it, I leave it unlocked 90% of the time and starts on the button every morning!

It's also a tank - it seen the wrong side of a hedge a few weeks ago but it was pulled out by the towbar and drove home without a single mark!

It's also a money saver, by driving this every day I don't have to fuel the B8 which costs roughly £80-85 to fill every 4 days with Ultimate, a tank in the B4 lasts nearly 2 weeks.

This probably won't see much appreciation as some of the modern cars on here but I'd say its more reliable than any modern car hands down.

Big shoutout as always to @pobmk4 from DubTECH in Ballymoney for his consistent patience and skills, @Woodcutter Graeme from P&C's Ballymoney for supplying all the bits and pieces required for MOT, @Jas Lad for the metro plates and @southsky sunrise for selling me the wheels :grinning:

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
The colour match on the rear quarters is some job sham! :laughing:

I proper LOL'd at the snapchats of the prep on this car, hilarious!

There is something very satisfying about driving a daily which you really don't have to worry about, I guarantee you'll become very attached to that!

Darren91

RMS Regular
OP
Darren91
The colour match on the rear quarters is some job sham! :laughing:

I proper LOL'd at the snapchats of the prep on this car, hilarious!

There is something very satisfying about driving a daily which you really don't have to worry about, I guarantee you'll become very attached to that!

Aidy and Mark were out looking at it yesterday and were lost for words! :laughing::laughing:

Already am attached to it, I genuinely missed driving it there for a month and honestly can't wait to take it to work in the morning!

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
:joy::joy::joy: what an absolute machine... Not to mention a pain in my ass....but none the less it's now road legal.

In all fairness it should have went to tmet....but I just wanted to prove that literally anything can be fixed again when it comes to these things.

@Woodcutter many a night was spent rolling about the garage in stitches at the sight of some of the horrors we uncovered. I still think he should go for nardo grey respray (courtesy of your aerosols) and the black plastic GT arch kit :joy:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
These are the best kind of motors you can buy. Good to see it saved instead of scrapped. It’ll make you appreciate the B8 that bit more when you get into it too.

I’ve a 2000 Passat 1.9tdi with nearly 320k and it has been fantastic this past 2 years. Mine has done very little mileage the past year as I’ve been using a pickup nearly every day, but for the same £300 you gave for yours, it gets some abuse and returns comical MPG compared to new, modern, eco-friendly tree loving motors at literally 100 times it’s price...

Health to abuse and tramp on for another year... :p

Tam9n

RMS Regular
Drives
Polo 9n3 GTi
I have a 98 B5 Passat 1.9 AHU, which is green and a literal tank. I absolutely love it, reliable as they come.

My passenger window doesn’t work though, any pointers?

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Plenty of appreciation for keeping a car destined for the scrapman on the road for another year or two. You can't beat a daily hack that you can park up anywhere and not worry about and a 90's or early 2000's vag derv is hard to beat. With all the problems modern diesels give I believe you have to go backward to move forward.

azzamut

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo ,GS430
I had a grey one. Was a shame to scrap her

Fuel efficiency was best I've had on any car. Even the audi 80s that share the 1Z engine aren't as good I found.

Great car you've got yourself. htd

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180403-083438.png
    Screenshot_20180403-083438.png
    688.2 KB · Views: 648
  • Screenshot_20180403-083412.png
    Screenshot_20180403-083412.png
    795.8 KB · Views: 1,063

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Class :laughing:

Did the scally rally in one of these years ago. Painted it with chalkboard paint and had all the kids in the neighbourhood come draw all over it before doing a lap of Ireland. Was a great big bus!

vwsully

RMS Regular
Drives
jdm camry, w140
Love a b4 .I. rocking a 1999 b5 wagon witn an AFN for the last 24k - 2 rear shocks and pads, 2 window regulators and a CV boot in 2 years.

Did you use eBay 0.216 nozzles? Been toying with the idea on and off....

Darren91

RMS Regular
OP
Darren91
Thanks folks for your comments :grinning:

The car wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for @pobmk4 spending countless hours welding for MOT.

@vwsully yep the ebay ones, they were about £50 iirc, some job and no negatives!

puzzlement13

RMS Regular
I remember seeing this when I had my b3 on the road, chatted to the guy and went and seen it one night thinking I could replicate mine (but in b4 form). ... I knew there was a serious amount of work in it for me to be happy with it. I honestly thought it wouldn't have made another mot. Huge respect for fixing it!!

If you need any interior parts, give me a shout.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Thanks folks for your comments :grinning:

The car wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for @pobmk4 spending countless hours welding for MOT.

@vwsully yep the ebay ones, they were about £50 iirc, some job and no negatives!

D¡ck.

Now have an injector tester and a set of .216’s en route after telling myself I wouldn’t bother modifying this old diesel engine. Left my last injector tester at a previous workplace and have wanted to replace it since, but not to use for my own vehicle.

I blame you if I end up buying a billet compressor wheel from Kinugawa and build a turbo after this... :laughing:

Darren91

RMS Regular
OP
Darren91
Not much to update on the old yoke recently, got a cheap set of 16” Mini alloy wheels last month, @pobmk4 bored the centres out of them to fit 57.1.

Yesterday I begrudgingly fitted 2 brand new tyres to the rear. Still does 70/80mpg all day long although I do miss the air con not working in this warm weather.

There seems to be an intermittent boost issue, the current turbo may be ripped out and replaced with something else a bit more juicer ;)

9765EA2D-CB7D-4DD9-8A60-B1AF8132F269.jpeg

3CBBF972-3BEA-44DC-AC92-F39CF7343C7F.jpeg

C43FC82F-E1BE-4BC1-9AC5-877C679D3A34.jpeg

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
I had a grey one. Was a shame to scrap her

Fuel efficiency was best I've had on any car. Even the audi 80s that share the 1Z engine aren't as good I found.

Great car you've got yourself. htd

Most efficient car I ever owned.

What ever happened to that car?

azzamut

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo ,GS430
Scrapped after she ran out of mot.

Sold plenty of bits of her before though...shame

Darren91

RMS Regular
OP
Darren91
Replaced the passenger airbag with a glovebox from a B3. Popular upgrade and pretty easy to do.

Wrong colour and needs a clean but it does what it should do.

During the week it also got a new coolant bottle & a genuine radio aerial - rare as hens teeth!

@pobmk4 also made good use of the old airbag :laughing: the video won’t make it to RMS though :laughing:

0499CD20-FF15-4100-84B6-7EA5A8C02C26.jpeg
2151B9B3-4539-4DD8-AE93-2DBB2504661F.jpeg

Darren91

RMS Regular
OP
Darren91
Many weeks ago @pobmk4 agreed to give the Passat a few more ponies, I've gathered the parts and today was the day of the big stripdown.

Basically whats happening is that we are getting rid of the wastegate turbo and replacing it with a VNT setup from 110 AFN engine.

I sourced a new reconditioned turbo from the Turbo Shack in Antrim ( The Turbo Shack ) , an old-style MSA15 AFN ecu, AFN N75, various genuine VW gaskets, oil feed/return pipes and a AFN downpipe.

Turbo was removed today, just needs a modification to the rear engine mount and should be good to go after that :grinning:

We are reconing 150/160 bhp with the .216 injector nozzles along with the turbo. This may not seem like a lot compared to modern cars but will surprise alot of people when they see an old beater passing them :p

The ECU will also be mapped to suit the mods. EGR system will also be removed with a semi-straight pipe fitted.

There was also a new timing belt kit fitted last week, I have a new genuine clutch sitting waiting to be fitted as the power increase will finish off the already slipping fitted clutch.

Old (and rather embarrassing) turbo and new turbo :grinning:

Work in progress!

@Nicky ;)

s-l1600.jpg

IMG_1919.jpeg

IMG_1918.jpeg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.