1998 Toyota Hilux Mk4

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Last week both of my road going vehicles gave up on me. I must’ve had at least 50 cars in my time (nearly all budget bangers) and I don’t recall any of them rattling an engine.
2006 Renault Trafic work horse developed a knock on evening so the e36 323i ‘vert was brought out of hibernation early the next morning. Let it tick over for 5mins while I necked a coffee in the house but it boiled itself whilst unaccompanied.

So, perfect excuse to replace the 2 with an all rounder I’ve been a fan of since I was a nipper! Our milk man had a brand new one in blue & I used to sit & wait for him. Think it was more the fact it had ‘TOY’ on the back.

Prepared to go across the water for a double cab Mk3/Mk4 or even Mk5 Hilux I totally overlooked this one in my hometown.. I’ve even walked passed it a few times! I think the advert pic didn’t do it any favours as it had been listed for over a year 8-(

DBA85BFD-9230-4793-9388-398F69AD36B6.png

Looks like a pear but it’s had all welding done, head gasket replaced, head skimmed, new steering rack etc. Drives tight as a drum.
It was left off to my body man last night so Monday should bring more aesthetically pleasing pics!

E1A29F83-BCF2-47DC-82A5-3B2CFF4011C4.jpeg

D1B76BD2-C3CE-4AAF-B3E2-7857D67D348C.jpeg

I’d be happy if we achieve something like this once I get hold of a set of wheels & tyres.

28A140ED-CF2F-486B-A5CA-FCBB1EEF68EC.jpeg

4B8EE5F7-74D3-453D-A4A2-E55AE05B55E3.jpeg

FDC764AD-9C4D-40E3-AB4D-263ADDF11113.jpeg

Cheers m’dears

Dave..

RMS Regular
Last week both of my road going vehicles gave up on me. I must’ve had at least 50 cars in my time (nearly all budget bangers) and I don’t recall any of them rattling an engine.
2006 Renault Trafic work horse developed a knock on evening so the e36 323i ‘vert was brought out of hibernation early the next morning. Let it tick over for 5mins while I necked a coffee in the house but it boiled itself whilst unaccompanied.

So, perfect excuse to replace the 2 with an all rounder I’ve been a fan of since I was a nipper! Our milk man had a brand new one in blue & I used to sit & wait for him. Think it was more the fact it had ‘TOY’ on the back.

Prepared to go across the water for a double cab Mk3/Mk4 or even Mk5 Hilux I totally overlooked this one in my hometown.. I’ve even walked passed it a few times! I think the advert pic didn’t do it any favours as it had been listed for over a year 8-(

View attachment 214556

Looks like a pear but it’s had all welding done, head gasket replaced, head skimmed, new steering rack etc. Drives tight as a drum.
It was left off to my body man last night so Monday should bring more aesthetically pleasing pics!

View attachment 214557
View attachment 214558

I’d be happy if we achieve something like this once I get hold of a set of wheels & tyres.

View attachment 214559
View attachment 214560
View attachment 214561

Cheers m’dears
Good pickups. We have a 2008 one that just uses fuel.

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Your a while man lol!! Good pickup these, The one in the Instagram pic looks deadly!!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
A mate is trying to sell me his we just need to work out a price.

View attachment 214573

You don’t want that. They’re a terrible vehicle. Hideous to drive. No power either. Really uncomfortable. Ridiculously unreliable.

On an unrelated note, have you the owners phone number to hand...? :p

Was actually going to text you the other day to see if you got your own home yet. Should be a cool big wagon if you’re aiming to do it up similar to cesare187’s.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
You don’t want that. They’re a terrible vehicle. Hideous to drive. No power either. Really uncomfortable. Ridiculously unreliable.

On an unrelated note, have you the owners phone number to hand...? :p

Was actually going to text you the other day to see if you got your own home yet. Should be a cool big wagon if you’re aiming to do it up similar to cesare187’s.

It’s just the wheels he’s toying with selling if they fit my truck ok.

But I will guide him your way when he’s done with it. He’s just after towing this beast of a boat home from England last night. He reckons his wee Defender 90 could have done a better job.

2525212C-B03A-4813-9A2A-5C0AF7EF0D0A.jpeg

03BC641D-96AD-472E-B800-9A09D73FE3AC.jpeg

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
That’s a Honda BF75 on the back of that? He must do a bit of windfarm work or rigging off shore to need that big lady.

Defenders can definitely tow good loads, but they’re a horrible place to sit. I’d have the Hilux, either his or yours, over them any day.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
That’s a Honda BF75 on the back of that? He must do a bit of windfarm work or rigging off shore to need that big lady.

Defenders can definitely tow good loads, but they’re a horrible place to sit. I’d have the Hilux, either his or yours, over them any day.

You’re bang on the money mate. She’l be getting coded & sent to work as a safety boat/diving boat.
Hard to beat a Hilux! I can’t look at mine without ululating :monkey:

chrisQ

RMS Regular
Brilliant, always had an itch for one off these even though I've no use what so ever for a pick up. Will never forget what Top Gear did to one off these and it still drove after it all. As said already that thing will still be going when we're all pushing up the daisies.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Brilliant, always had an itch for one off these even though I've no use what so ever for a pick up. Will never forget what Top Gear did to one off these and it still drove after it all. As said already that thing will still be going when we're all pushing up the daisies.

Surprisingly comfortable drive too.

Here’s a sneak peek my body man sent me tonight

5414F628-1B08-442B-8ACF-D4F05C5F20A7.jpeg

6BCCDC79-6DD0-4B7A-A105-BC7FA8F68F92.jpeg

C0470BC7-8160-4C28-9F99-F94DC68CF8EC.png