2 Insurance Policies on 1 car?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Just wandering if this is allowed. My dad has a passat estate insured in his name here but lives in spain most of the time, He has said i can use it while he is away as it would be more reliable than my current car, I'm just wandering can i insure on my policy also without him cancelling his policy on it, as he will need it when he is back and wants to keep it insured himself too? (I know i can be named driver etc im just checking this option out)

Cheers

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Can't be done, I asked Greenlight to do this for me and was told it not possible for any insurer to do so.

fordzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline, JDM dc2
well it may be different for cars... but i have a motorcycle insured in my own name and the insurence runs out in october, i sold the bike two months ago and the guy i sold it to has it insured and is using it for goin to and from work everyday, and my policy is still valid.. i'm not sure if there the same insurence companies but :confounded:

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
can be seen as fraud, as if there's an accident its possible to make 2 claims etc

also if u have it insured aswell, and it gets stolen etc and wipes someone out or causes damage you could find a claim against urself...

get it cancelled/suspended asap

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
he wants to get his years no claims and they usually give you a **** amount back when you cancel plus charge cancellation fee

if he is youngish that years no claims could be worth a couple hundred

buy a scrap moped or something thats wrote off for like 50 quid and stick the insurance on to it so you can get your no claims

even just a frame with a v5 that someone has left after breaking

ill have one out of my bandit but will be a while

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
yeah i know folks like to let it run for the ncb but might not be worth it in the long run, mates transferrin his policy to my calibra in the meantime to let it run out, as it hadnt a policy on it and its sitting doing nothin!!

if he knows someone wi an old clapped out heap sittin in a field... slap the insurance onto it?

might even get a few quid back and still maintain his NCB

NickR

RMS Regular
OP
NickR
Drives
A6/E39 530i
cheers for the input folks, i have 4 years ncb at the minute so this year would give me full ncb. I'll just get my dad to put me on it as a named driver and keep my own car insured in my name. Thanks for all the info (y)

Edd

Drives
Skyline R33 GTS-
When I've sold vehicles in the past, I've told the insurance company that I have sold the vehicle however they told me to keep the policy running to allow me to transfer the policy over to my next vehicle.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.