2002 Mini Cooper British Racing Green

Bryan

RMS Regular
1585668361166.png

I got this little car about a month ago now. It needed an engine. I picked up the car on a Friday evening and had a replacement engine gathered up the following day. I had some other projects to do first but finally got stuck into changing the engine over the weekend. It was a big job - took me from about 10am until at least 7pm and even then I still had the front bumper and suspension to put back together on Sunday.

1585668442980.png

1585668463253.png

I think the British Racing Green paint with the white roof and mirrors are such a classic colour scheme for a Mini. This one is just a bog standard Cooper model but it has been pretty well looked after - it was still running its original clutch after 113k miles. Nothing seems to have been off the car before - everything in the engine bay was still sitting where it was supposed to be.

I was worried that the gearbox would have been knackered too but it drives very smooth with no noises or signs of wear. I replaced all fluids including the gearbox oil when I changed the engine just to be sure.

I'm hoping to keep it as a weekend fun car and I've been quoted £50 to add it to my insurance policy for a whole year so it is very tempting. It does need an exhaust though so I'd be interested in a standard stainless system for it if anyone has one spare.

Robin_Hood

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender
Nice to see another BRG on the forum ;)

This is mine, infectious wee cars when you have had a few 😎

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Since I still can't drive this car due to MOT expiring in 2018 I've decided to tidy up the subframes. I managed to get a decent condition 2002 subframe so I don't have to dismantle the car. The current subframe has a lot of surface rust from sitting for two years.

1589276419690.png

This was it as I got it after a bit of dismantling. Needs a good clean.

And here it is after a power wash and then about half an hour with the wire wheel on the grinder. This would be so much easier if I had a sand blaster.

1589276492617.png

1589276518972.png

The plan is to paint it all green and then replace all of the bushes and ball joints with new ones so the whole front end is like new. I have a tin of Kawasaki type green so it might end up that colour.... not sure yet.

DISASTRA

RMS Regular
Drives
F87/E46
Great work lad, ive an 2006 cooper in the same shade(cant get a photo attached atm).

Ive 166k on it, the clutch lasted until abut 149k.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
Who knows?
Brilliant! I’d love one of these myself, but never one around at the right money at the right time for me.