2002 Passat doors not opening

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Hi,

Bought a 2002 VW Passat, both passenger doors are not opening either inside or out. When I pull the inside handle it’s still connected so to speak and the lock tab moves up and down on the door.

When I use the key fob button there’s no ‘unlocking’ sounds from the passenger side. Unsure if it’s a fuse or the locks themselves?

Thanks

DreamTheater

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Civic
Do the doors open with putting the key into the door to open?
Does electric windows work?
Could be the control unit for the doors.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
OP
sam_9n
Do the doors open with putting the key into the door to open?
Does electric windows work?
Could be the control unit for the doors.

None of the doors have keyholes in them. Electric windows work perfectly on both front and rear passenger doors

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
As above, likely the micro switches, common on all VW of that age. Worth a try giving the lock area a solid thump when pressing the unlock button, it can sometimes knock it into working (temporarily). Failing that, its a doorcard off and smash the lock to bits episode.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
OP
sam_9n
As above, likely the micro switches, common on all VW of that age. Worth a try giving the lock area a solid thump when pressing the unlock button, it can sometimes knock it into working (temporarily). Failing that, its a doorcard off and smash the lock to bits episode.

werent wrong about having to smash it to bits lol

7D3417B3-ED7E-4E15-A962-43C974EB5707.jpeg

New ones off eBay on order, about 1/5th the price from TPS and they have warranty. Managed to get the rear one opening and locking but ordered a new lock mech also. What a pain in the ass.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Really common fault with them unfortunately, ive replaced nearly all of mine. Be careful of the ebay ones, some dont actually work. I had some that opened again when you tried to double lock it!