2003 Honda Integra Type-R DC5 [Mini Restoration]

Modmedia

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla M3P
Hello all. I'm back in a DC5 again!

This is my 7th one now (99% sure) and in between them all I've had some interesting stuff, I'll paste my history of cars below that I've had in the last while for anyone who's interested. Anyone really interested I'll post some pictures of any cars that people would like to see again or that I haven't had members threads on.

Anyone who just wants me to shut up and get on with the DC5 thread, then scroll past and read on!
  • 2001 Integra DC5 Type R
  • 1995 R33 GTR
  • 2000 Honda Integra Type R DC2 [UKDM]
  • 2002 Integra DC5 Type R
  • 2000 Impreza Classic UK Turbo
  • 1994 Impreza WRX (Jap Import)
  • 1999 Impreza STI (Jap Import)
  • 2004 Impreza STI PPP
  • 2006 Impreza STI Hawk
  • 2003 BMW E46 M3
  • 2001 Lupo GTI
  • 2003 Integra DC5 Type R
  • 2003 Civic Type R JDM
  • 2004 Civic Type R UK
  • 2009 Civic Type-R Championship White [FN2]
  • 2004 Mitsubishi Evo 8 400BHP
  • 1995 R33 GT-R (T78 Single Turbo Conversion)
  • 1994 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
  • 2003 BMW M3 E46 LCI
  • 2016 Honda Civic Type-R (FK2)
  • 1998 Impreza UK Turbo
  • 2005 Mitsubishi Evo 8 260
  • 2016 Subaru WRX STI
So this one is 100% a project (read: probable money-pit) but as before, I love buying these and restoring them to their former glory. I've always ended up selling them in the end because I wanted something else, but now I just feel like the time is right to have a long-term project. I have a nice daily (2015 BMW 640D Gran-Coupé) and my own garage now, so I can work at this at my own pace.

So I've taken a punt on a cheap one from Donedeal.ie. These cars go for less down in ROI due to high tax costs etc. I went and viewed it on Sunday and negotiated a decent deal, which should allow me plenty of room to spend a good bit on it. Most people would just spend the money buying a better (more expensive one) but where is the fun in that!

Specs are:
  • 2003 Championship White with Red Recaros
  • 200,658KM - Never converted and wont be.
  • Mugen Twinloop Exhaust
  • BC Coilover Suspension
  • Un-silenced B-Pipe & Cat Delete
  • Standard Manifold [Need to check this]
  • RBC Manifold
  • Larger Throttlebody [Unknown]
  • Unknown Induction Kit (AEM V2 Style)
  • JDM Fog Lights - original?
The previous owner actually took it across the border last year and got it MOT'd as he planned to register it in the UK himself. So it has MOT until June of this year, which is a real bonus and a job saved. I've done this process with DVLA before with my classic Impreza STI and it wasn't too hard.

My plans are to get the car on axle-stands and get started this weekend.

Plans are:
  • Get registered with DVLA Swansea [Applied for Registration Pack 07/02/2020]
  • Remove Mudflaps [Done 09/02/2020]
  • Fix water leak front - I think this is coming from the front windscreen?
  • Replace Primary O2 Sensor and fit spacer to remove EML.
  • Remove full interior for a deep clean, carpets, seats etc.
  • Replace Drivers Seat Bolster.
  • Remove any loose interior trim and replace with clips where necessary.
  • Replace Induction Kit Filter (or system entirely)
  • Adjust BC Coilovers and Fast Road Setup, it's currently too low.
  • Remove Fog Lights and sell (if possible) to get some money back.
  • Change Oil & Filter, Gearbox Oil and Power Steering Fluid.
  • Replace Front Discs & Pads (Rears done recently by the looks of it)
  • Change Tyres to a premium brand - most likely Goodyear Eagle F1 (currently budget).
  • Repaint Front Lip
  • Repaint Brake Calipers with new Brembo Stickers
  • Remove Headlights, wet-sand and reseal and Polish to remove haziness.
I'll also be carrying out a full exterior detail on the car. This will consist of any necessary wet-sanding, compounding/polishing and refining of the paintwork to get it as good as can be. Obviously, the car has 200,000KM and it has seen some paintwork in the past. I'm more than happy with the condition of it considering what I paid for it. It's a lot better than cars I've viewed in the past at more money.

I'm not pretending the car is mint, I'm going to have this as an honest build thread detailing any issues or problems I find along the way. I'll try and keep a tally of costs too for anyone embarking upon the same type of financial suicide.

So here it is, in all it's glory. As I picked it up, it's getting some fuel while we were still in ROI (Horrible 95-Ron) so had to be topped up with Octane Booster until I could get it up North!

1.jpg

The 200 mile drive home went faultlessly - albeit with the Engine light lit up. I was assured it was just the DE-CAT causing it. Got home and plugged it in and got the usual suspects P1166 & P1167 pointing at the O2 Sensor, great ~£200 down already, haha!

The car also has somethings like the de-cat, RBC and suspected larger throttle body but no mapping to suit, that I know of. So I may remove these and find standard parts or fit a K-Pro, as they really shouldn’t be on the car without a map.

So that's it for now, it got a really quick wash and tucked up ready for the interior and exterior removal and detail. I'll update this weekend. Oh, and as mentioned the awful Mudflaps were the first thing to be removed!

2.jpg

So, the first piece of the puzzle to registration is to make a NOVA declaration on the GOV.UK website. This has now been completed.

3.jpg

This needs to be done before a pack is sent away. Bringing a car from the South that is over 10 years old is easy. The only payment due will be the £55 Reg Fee to DVLA and the tax cost. Unfortunately the only way to get the forms is through snail-mail. This is the link:

Order DVLA forms | Forms

The form we need in this case is the "Used Vehicle Import Pack"

I ordered one on Friday before I looked at the car, so lets hope it will be here this week!

If anyone is buying a car from ROI you should complete a "Cartell" check. Think of it as an Irish HPI Check. This confirms that the car is not stolen and has not been written off. It also confirms, in this case that the car came in from Japan to Ireland on 22/03/2006.

A cool little piece of info that it also revealed was the original Japanese Reg Number: 399-SO-6953

It came from Fukuoka in Japan’s Kyushu Island. So for a little fun, here is a picture I mocked up with how the actual plate would have looked when it was driving around in Japan all those years ago. 福岡 meaning Fukuoka, 399 I believe is one of the classifications for the engine size. The "SO" is represented by そ means that it was a private classification vehicle. Then the "random" numbers, if you like, are the 6953. Happy to be corrected on this, but a few difference sources seem to back this up. Again just a little geeky JDM-ness.

5.jpg

The next thing I always do with them (24 Hours before I buy them) is a CarVX.JP check. Now on a 2006 Imported car it'll not show things like Auction sheets etc. but it does confirm it was never stolen or damaged in Japan. Thankfully all clear.

4.jpg

This is where I am to date :grinning:

Last edited by a moderator:

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
Did you reclaim the duty?

Tell me more! :eek: I was under impression only the previous keeper could?

EDIT: Had a look, doesn't seem to apply for a few reasons. The car has no valid NCT currently so that would also scupper the chances.

Unless you know any other way regarding the owners and NCT?

Last edited:

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
Tell me more! :eek: I was under impression only the previous keeper could?

EDIT: Had a look, doesn't seem to apply for a few reasons. The car has no valid NCT currently so that would also scupper the chances.

Unless you know any other way regarding the owners and NCT?

Will need nctd . Last dc5 i brought over i reclaimed ,€2475

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
You can use my address in south if need be. I’m in muff, 2 mins from Derry.

Wow that would be more than kind!

@SMURF1 would I be right in saying I would need to change Irish log book into someone’s name in the south then get it NCT’d and only then export it? Or can I book an NCT now with it in the current owners name. Has been no NCT/Tax in this since 2017.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP

@SMURF1 would I be right in saying I would need to change Irish log book into someone’s name in the south then get it NCT’d and only then export it? Or can I book an NCT now with it in the current owners name. Has been no NCT/Tax in this since 2017.
Pm me and il send number when you find out what you need to do off @SMURF1

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time

Pm me ur number

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
The spending has started :laughing: I've decided to keep a simple spreadsheet, so I can keep an eye on it and hopefully keep it down as best I can lol.

Due to the lack of any real service history I've decided to change oils/fluids and filters from the start of ownership just to be on the safe side.

So, I've ordered today:

Date
Item
From
Cost
12/02/2020Exedy OEM Clutch KitTegiwa£126.00
12/02/2020OEM Honda MTF3 Gearbox OilTegiwa£26.40
12/02/2020Honda PSF-S Power Steering Fluid 2LTegiwa£33.00
12/02/2020Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W40 Oil 5LTegiwa£51.00
12/02/2020OEM Honda Oil FilterTegiwa£6.00
12/02/2020OEM Honda Front Brake DiscsTegiwa£132.28
12/02/2020K-Tuned Shifter Pivot Ball & SpringTegiwa£32.90
12/02/2020Brembo Front PadsHoldcroft Honda£54.06

Hopefully it should all be here for the weekend so I can crack on. I'll not be doing the clutch but will tackle the rest.

The gear shifter has some play side-to-side (naturally with 200,000km) so hoping this kit will solve that. If not, a new OEM shifter assembly is around £130 I believe so not a total disaster.