2003 Honda Integra Type-R DC5 [Mini Restoration]

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
Thanks guys! It’s a slow process with work etc but getting there now!

With the engine bay... the new rocker cover helped lift it a good bit and the rest I cleaned with an all purpose cleaner and various size of brushes, microfibres etc. Then dressed the plastics using 303 Aerospace Protectant and some harder to reach areas (that would be hard to work the product in by hand) with a Silicone based aerosol

FCFBE20F-B1D2-4CB0-AF47-85FE6EBCC9F8.jpeg

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
So after removing the RBC, I cleaned it up and got it sold for £280 to recover some costs, for a change! The same buyer is 99% certain he's taking the Tegiwa that I took the sensors off (still need to fit these!) for £250 as well.

IMG_0802.jpeg

I finally bit the bullet and decided to buy a steering wheel. The cleanest original I could find. I really didn't want to recover mine because it loses the "MOMO" logo. Some pictures from the seller, the red at the top is just thread and can be easily removed, can't wait until it arrives! Was pricey enough at £230, but will totally finish the interior, the current wheel is awful! I should be able to get a bit of money back for the old wheel and airbag.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

I also decided that I want to remove the Coilovers and was originally looking for an OEM Suspension set. Put a request in on the Forum and got someone messaging me with a set from a 70,000 mile DC5 with Eibach Pro Springs fitted. At £150 it wasn't too bad and in actual fact I think I may have a mint set of Springs somewhere (well, I did about 7 years ago trying to find out where I put them might be a challenge lol).

In any case, I'll clean up the BC Coilovers and should get £250-£300 for them as they still move freely etc. I would just prefer a nice, closer to OEM setup, not a massive fan of Coilovers for a car unlikely/rarely to be tracked. I'm going to order new Track Rod Ends and Drop links etc before fitting the OEM suspension. Then take it for Tyres and Alignment. At the minute there is vibration at 65/70MPH so hoping all this will solve that and will be a nice freshen up anyway and leave it driving way better.

Some photos from the seller of the Springs and Shocks, not cleaned or anything yet... I'll freshen these up before fitting, of course!

119067726_2839800292921097_1187041840469470251_n.jpg

So my new short-term to-do list will be as follows:

• Fit OEM Suspension and Eibach Springs and refreshed parts;
  • Replace all 4 Tyres and get Aligned;
  • Remove and Replace Rear Light Gaskets;
  • Replace Front Lights (Buffing them didn't work, too far gone) - New Circa £400;
  • Remove Front Bumper and have Repair/Repainted with new clips etc;
  • Remove and Refit Rear Bumper, change brackets? Paintwork is fine.

That leaves a few plus and minus on the sheet and not looking too bad!

Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 15.29.00.png

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
My OEM suspension with Eibach springs has arrived! I haven't even had a chance to open it yet (busy with work etc) but I'll get them cleaned and see if anything needs replaced. In the meantime I've ordered:
  • Front Drop Links
  • Rear Drop Links
  • Track Rod Ends
  • Bottom Ball Joints
Used JapServiceParts.com as they delivered my last batch of stuff really quickly and they were the only company I could see that actually acknowledge the fact that the rear drop links for a DC5 are not the exact same as EP3 items. Yes EP3 ones will fit OK, but they are a different length, who knows if it will make any difference... but I just like the fact they are the correct spec.

My lovely looking steering wheel has still not arrived, they are estimating Thursday but it's being delivered by Hermes (FML :weary_face:) so who knows which Thursday it'll be!

More interestingly... my Dad took my Passenger side seat and fitted the two new bolsters. A few shots of the finished base and I'll get some of it in the car soon! Safe to say it looks great and when the steering wheel is fitted, the interior will be finished and will look awesome!

Firstly, this is what causes the saggy bolsters you see on all DC5s, the foam just gets mashed to a pulp over time.

IMG_0917.JPG

Then, this is what it looks like when it was all done! This is the same seat that was in the exhaust picture for reference.

IMG_0943.jpeg

IMG_0944.jpeg

Ignore the dirty Civic Type-R carpets, DC5 ones will be in it soon lol.

A picture of them both (drivers side not cleaned yet, so still grubby)

IMG_0945.jpeg

Took it to work a few days this week as well I'm going to miss how it looks at this height but it's realistically too low and the exhaust would catch on things if not careful etc. Plus the Coilovers have seen better days they are just making it not an overly nice place to sit. The OEM shocks and Eibach will probably sit higher but leave the car much more usable and better to drive, which is what I really want.

IMG_0893.jpeg

IMG_0895.jpeg

The fog lights have never worked, so we got to looking at them and one side was plugged out and the other plug was broken. Were able to get them both working again, which is good... but the wiring won't hold up long... So at 8PM last night I ordered two leads and two new bulbs on Amazon... they arrived today in work today at 11am! Couldn't believe how quick it was considering I ordered so late at night!

IMG_0949.jpeg

After looking at some reviews and some research I've ordered in 4 x Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres in OEM 215/45/17... no point in getting them fitted until suspension is changed and new steering wheel is fitted etc. Probably the start of next month. Using Modern Tyres near my work, a few pound more expensive, but would rather give them the business than someone online.

Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 20.48.54.png

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
It's amazing how many similar parts you're using to my car. I have eibach springs on stock shocks and Michelin PS4s as well. The car sits lower than stock but a little higher than the awful RSR springs it came from Japan on. It's also a lot nicer to drive now too. Awesome work so far.

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
It's amazing how many similar parts you're using to my car. I have eibach springs on stock shocks and Michelin PS4s as well. The car sits lower than stock but a little higher than the awful RSR springs it came from Japan on. It's also a lot nicer to drive now too. Awesome work so far.

Oh I must take a look at your thread to see how it sits. How do you find the tyres? I always used Goodyear Eagle F1s in the past but in the last 7/8 odd years since I had my first DC5 it looks like things have moved on.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
That thread of mine needs a wee update actually, I must get around to do that. This is it from the JPCCNI show the other week.
DSC_0645.JPG

And another a few weeks ago.
IMG_20200711_155713_628.jpg

Sorry, I don't seem to have any better photos from the side. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It had some Dunlop Direzzas from Japan. Never heard of them before, looked them up, seems drifters love them. I can see why, they weren't much use in the wet and only OK in the dry. The Michelin are a great tire. I had Ps3s all round and then PS4s on the front of my old FN2 and they never broke grip. I'm not the fastest or bravest driver though so maybe that's not saying much. I've only just put Eagles on the MX5 funnily enough, but again different car so can't really fairly compare them to my DC5.

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
@Crow555 Looks good, I think I’ll be happy with the height of that when I get around to putting them in.

@JT079 Yeah it’s getting there; still plenty to do, though!

RevT

RMS Regular
It’s a pity you’re raising it up as it’s sitting perfect IMO in those photos.

Nice to see someone tidying the small things and having great attention to detail.

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
Sorry for the boring update. Nothing exciting to report, but just keeping this in the thread for my own records really, so nothing to see here lol! Ordered a few items from Honda Belfast today (some on backorder so should all be here by end of October). The most noticeable will be the brand new wheel nuts replacing the dopey red ones on it at the moment (which will be for the bin). Also I didn't want a mix-match of new and old bolts on the cam cover so all new genuine ones ordered to leave that sitting perfect.
  • 90102-PND-000 - Inlet Cover Bolts x 2 - £5.40
  • 08W2-SP0-R00 - Set of 20 OEM Chrome Wheel Nuts - £22.80
  • 90207-RBC-000 - 4 Spark Plug Cover Nuts - £7.84
  • 90213-PH3-000 - 6 Cam Cover Bolts - £20.10
  • H17122-PNC-J00 - Inlet Cover Brackets - £14.18
I also need to get around to looking at the diagrams and ordering new clips for the arch liners and bumpers etc. As well as new bumper brackets for the rear. Being putting it off because there are so many different types of clips and would rather they were all 100% correct and would leave the bumpers sitting perfect after paint.

I also am maybe toying with the idea of selling this and my BMW i3 and going back to one car. The only one that would interest me at the moment is the Tesla Model 3. I've test driven it and it's a really nice thing to drive and can shift rightly... so in the next few months I may stick this up. The Standard Plus would be dead on for me and only option I would add would be the alloys as the standard ones aren't great.

1.png

Anyway, in terms of the DC5... Fresh imports seem to be £13k+ at the moment and used DC5s starting at £7,000 and up to £10k for supposedly "good" ones. I'm thinking maybe £7,500-£8,000 would be fair, this car has been in the UK a while and had some welding done in the past but is a well-sorted car which is better than most in a lot of areas now (i.e. interior and engine bay etc). Like I say, undecided at present and I'd probably be better getting some enjoyment out of it given how much I've spent on it so far... and counting!

The other option would be to keep this and maybe get a Honda E to replace the i3. Cool wee cars, slightly better range than my i3 and would look Cool AF beside the DC5 lol.

2ex_front_34_v2rv5_hr.jpg

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
Oh, I do have some pictures actually!

I got my steering wheel fitted. It is much better than the old one. Not perfect (it is over 15 years old, after all) but nice and original and makes driving it far better, no more rough feeling wheel! Crap picture taken inside garage, sorry! Also, you may notice the old EP3 mats in this photo they just don’t fit quite right.

63668835-78C4-4413-AEA0-7518D4B906E6.jpeg

So to fix the above... I bought a nice set of the correct original OEM DC5 Mats to replace the EP3 ones that were in the car, randomly. Will sell the EP3 ones, of course. The DC5 ones I bought are really good shape for their age and have badges on both sides still in-tact, which is quite rare.

B8A514D6-9405-48C6-B473-7A429528DF96.jpeg

1ED12749-BDD8-444B-B68E-9E13F92A62C1.jpeg

I didn’t even wash or hoover them just stuck them straight in, so they should come up even better after a wet-vac.

I think this is all for now!

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I always thought EP3 mats would fit the DC5's footwell, didn't know they don't until now. I was almost going to get a set to keep my own mats good.

Are these still only switching hands for £8k? I've no intention of selling mine but I definitely would take less than £10k if I was. Just sounds a bit cheap to me. 🤷‍♂️

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
I always thought EP3 mats would fit the DC5's footwell, didn't know they don't until now. I was almost going to get a set to keep my own mats good.

Are these still only switching hands for £8k? I've no intention of selling mine but I definitely would take less than £10k if I was. Just sounds a bit cheap to me. 🤷‍♂️

They aren't a million miles away but just not quite right. If you wanted a set to keep yours good I have a Black OEM DC5 set missing the badges, would be cheap enough...

Yeah most ones are 10k like I say there are a few rough ones around the £7k mark which, looking at their photos, my car would be way better than. I'd say it's a good solid example, which I would have well sorted before I ever did sell it. It has had the sills welded/repaired underneath and the boot floor before my ownership. This is what would probably prevent me from ever asking the top top money... even though, ironically, in some other areas it far exceeds the standards of these £10k+ cars lol.

Last edited:

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
It's the attention to detail in the area's most people don't venture to that make this a great motor for someone. I do love a nice dc5, so much fun and despite the dc2 being hailed the better car by the purists , I'd far rather be driving a dc5 having owned both. For a car released almost 20 years ago now they have aged so well inside and out like very little else.

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
It's the attention to detail in the area's most people don't venture to that make this a great motor for someone. I do love a nice dc5, so much fun and despite the dc2 being hailed the better car by the purists , I'd far rather be driving a dc5 having owned both. For a car released almost 20 years ago now they have aged so well inside and out like very little else.

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

Yes having owned both too I much prefer the DC5 as an overall package (the DC2 is almost ugly)... but the DC2 felt way more raw to drive and for a b-road blast I would much prefer it.

Ceebl

RMS Regular
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Just stumbled upon this thread and read it start to finish. Love it and the attention to detail is great.

I wonder how you would feel giving up your raw drivers weekend toy for one car when that one car will be electric. The only way I was able to justify going to one car recently (and selling the bike too) was that it happened to be a Golf R and not the GTD/ Audi TDI I had been looking at prior to it lol
It also strikes me that this can't have seen much use yet, would you not be better driving away at it for a year and get some enjoyment out of all your tinkering before selling? Type R's are for driving!
If you keep it I'm looking forward to the next updates...

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
Well, I have some great news... but not for the Teg lol!

I have a wee 1 year old son in the house already (loves Football and Cars already woohoo) and last week we went for our scan and we were expecting our 2nd child. Turns out we're having twins. :laughing: So that'll be 3 under 2 years old in the house come next year. So I'm afraid it looks like bye-bye DC5! In actual fact, it'll probably mean I'll have to have a rethink on all of the cars. There are only a few cars that will allow 3 child seats and 2 adults. The BMW i3, Integra DC5 and SEAT Ateca we currently have... are not any of them! +o(

No point in having a car we can't all go out and enjoy so I'll be taking a few weeks to do a few final things then it looks like it'll be up for sale.

Now, what cool 7 seaters can you get? Lol :laughing: