2003 Mini Cooper R50

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I would have forgiven you if it was a corsa or something interesting but a VOLVO I’m disappointed.

not that I’m in much of a position to criticise others car choices right now 🤣

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I effing knew it was all going too well!

The gearbox has started to whine today in 5th gear under load at around 70mph! 🤬

I could stick in another chocolate midlands box at £150 and hope it does me, or I can stick in a 5sp getrag at around £250 or go the whole hog and do a 6sp conversion which improves the fuel economy as well as the drive for £350+

Either way I now have a long period of saving up ahead as it’s the wrong time of year for me to go ahead and do it!

🤬🤬🤬🤬

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
I effing knew it was all going too well!

The gearbox has started to whine today in 5th gear under load at around 70mph! 🤬

I could stick in another chocolate midlands box at £150 and hope it does me, or I can stick in a 5sp getrag at around £250 or go the whole hog and do a 6sp conversion which improves the fuel economy as well as the drive for £350+

Either way I now have a long period of saving up ahead as it’s the wrong time of year for me to go ahead and do it!

🤬🤬🤬🤬

Time for the Volvo...

BlSc07jCYAAc5I1_1.jpg

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
The wife and my eldest son are both saying no. They are both saying “better the devil you know……” and telling me to just be patient, get Christmas over us and start saving for a new gearbag

My head is absolutely pounding over the stress of it.

End of the day I don’t “need” the car. So there’s absolutely no logical reason that I can’t just save up for the replacement box in whichever guise I decide to choose.

I’m NOT going for another midlands box. It’s going to be either the 5sp or 6sp getrag and all the parts that it’ll require.

That’s assuming that the box has its correct oil level. I haven’t checked that yet.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I have a midlands box in the shed that also needs new bearings. If you fancy the challenge of fitting a new bearing kit to it you're welcome to it so long as I get your old box back again. With it already being out of the car you can work on it at your own pace and go for the fitting whenever suits.

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
I know the gearboxes are a bit chocolately on these, but for all the time it takes - maybe check the oil level. I had a polo here I was convinced was on its last legs and all was needed was a litre of oil in it.

Was going to say, noise appears in top gear doing 70 odd, better than 4th doing 40 (y)

Last edited:

Bryan

RMS Regular
The Getrag box also uses different gear cables and clutch to the midlands one. I don't know about drive shafts - these could be different too. Factor this in if you haven't already.

There's also no level plug. Drain it out and put 1.7L of new fluid back in. Give that a go first.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I’m still weighing up my options in terms of gearbag replacement, but thinking about things I’ve decided that whilst the engine is out I will be replacing the timing chain, tensioner and guides.

These are another known weak point, so it makes sense to do them now.

I might do some of the wishbone ball joints as well because I’ll have plenty of room when the engine is out.

The shopping and price list is mounting! Lol.

Just wish I’d a shed to do it all in!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Chain makes sense with it all out, assuming it has some miles on it by now too? Cheap (-ish, lol) insurance.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Chain makes sense with it all out, assuming it has some miles on it by now too? Cheap (-ish, lol) insurance.
125k miles on the car with no service history.
Engine out? Holy escalation Batman. Feels like a large investment for a car that won’t necessarily translate into lasting value.

Don’t rule out a bare minimum approach and just keep it all ticking over
From what I’ve read the engine out method is the easiest way to change the box. It can be done with engine in situ but is apparently a right pita

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I hear what you’re saying but I’m caught between a rock and a hard place.

It’s can’t sell her the way she is. I simply won’t get any money for it, not to mention the fact that my wife is really digging her heels in over me getting rid, despite the fact she’s only been in it once and has told me she won’t be in it again lol. But crucially she knows how much I’ve loved the car.

Due to the work load involved, I don’t want to throw in another midlands box, even if it is just to punt it up the road.

I can get another midlands gearbox for around £150.

A rebuild kit is anywhere between £150-£200

For a little bit more money than that I could have a 5sp getrag box which are practically bullet proof.

For another £100-£200 I could have the six speed conversion.

Doesn’t matter what route I go down as it’s going to be extensive work involved and a good chunk of change.

So I either take a bad price on the car, save up over time to buy a replacement and maybe have to spend a chunk of change again to get it right, let’s face it I don’t have a good track record in buying cars in the last two years or more, especially at ones I can afford.

Or I spend a bit of money on a car that I know, a car that took surprisingly little to MOT, a car that everyone knows I’ve been enjoying.

I get the reservations with the last option and coming from a serial car changer I know it might be surprising that I’m considering it, but I feel I’ve no choice really.

Unless someone in the family dies and leaves a lot of money or some secret benefactor is going to give me a car or loan to replace it lol.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.