2003 Mini Cooper R50

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Unfortunately this has been a common issue for 25 years with mtf94.

The amount of oem spec and even some oem variations have proven costly.

There was a real issue 2006 to 2013 with wrong spec and sub spec mtf94 after the callopsed of Rover.

From that several specifications have become standard or should that be "sub standard" as manufacturers haven't really worried to much.

It's also why people used to say the Midlands box is made of chocolate, the amount of them that left factory with the right stuff and the first clutch or fluid change the sub standard oem spec was put in. Again why you see so many r50s needing boxes from only a few years old.

BMW did a spec revision in 2009 for it, Honda also did a the same in 09. Land Rover however did not but charge about £70 for 5 litres and sadly the spec changed again globally for many in 2020 which isn't mtf94 2, so again it's a cluster.

My experience it's very hit and miss. Smith & Allen, Land Rover OEM & Comma I trust.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Cheers for that info @Rover Repair

Another disappointing discovery today is that the JCW airbox I bought doesn’t fit. It wasn’t listed as such, but I’ve since discovered that they were an option on the LCI cars only. The gearbox mount must be different in LCI or JCW cars.

In a way it’s a blessing in disguise because hopefully I’ll sell it for what I paid for it, if not very close, meaning it’ll go into the gearbag fund

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Yup, in my mind to do.

To satisfy curiosity I took the car a quick gentle spin with the 75w-90 and molyslip and no improvement. If anything slightly noisier, I can hear grumblings from 3rd gear upwards.

One more option to try in regards to the MTF-94. If that doesn’t improve it then she’ll be getting sorned (maybe if I can get a grasp of the legalities) until it’s fixed.

Some may think that’s an over reaction but it’s not, it’s actually a smart move to help me save cash. No point paying road tax for a car I’m not going to use and the money would be better going into the gearbag fund.

PieMan1

RMS Regular
Yup, in my mind to do.

To satisfy curiosity I took the car a quick gentle spin with the 75w-90 and molyslip and no improvement. If anything slightly noisier, I can hear grumblings from 3rd gear upwards.

One more option to try in regards to the MTF-94. If that doesn’t improve it then she’ll be getting sorned (maybe if I can get a grasp of the legalities) until it’s fixed.

Some may think that’s an over reaction but it’s not, it’s actually a smart move to help me save cash. No point paying road tax for a car I’m not going to use and the money would be better going into the gearbag fund.
Brian , excuse my ignorance, but why can't you just drive it on? I've owned a few cars that sound like they are on deaths door and haven't been left stranded yet.

Like how bad is the bearing sound that's making you want to stop driving it ? A video would help.

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
If its just whining due to bearings it could go on like that for ages. Drive away at it worst case it will drop a bearing and crack the case. Get it towed home and worry about it then

If anyone knows a thing or 3000 about Mini`s its this man. Drive the car on until it actually brakes then worry about it you are currently adding unwanted pressure to yourself worrying about something that might never happen.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Simply put I don’t want or need the stress of it breaking down somewhere, potentially miles from home.

Whilst I truly appreciate the offers of a rescue from forum members, I just don’t want or need that stress at present whilst dealing with my wife’s chemo treatments and my own mental health problems.

As well as that, taking it off the road will free up some cash that is spent on road tax and fuel. These proceeds can be put to getting the new gearbox and associated parts required for the conversion.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
SORN is easy if that's what you want to do. But the car can no longer be on a public road. So not parked on the street or pavement for example (not that anyone should park on pavements anyway, cough...). Other than that it is straight forward.

The other drawback is MoT and such when you need to get it back on the road, as you need all that before the car can be taxed again. And the car can't be on the road until taxed...

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I know where you park. You can't SORN it and leave it there, it'll get clamped for sure. Find somewhere private to keep it and SORN it if that's what you want to do. I'd drive on like everyone else is suggesting. Just keep the North Coast runs to a minimum lol

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
SORN is easy if that's what you want to do. But the car can no longer be on a public road. So not parked on the street or pavement for example (not that anyone should park on pavements anyway, cough...). Other than that it is straight forward.

The other drawback is MoT and such when you need to get it back on the road, as you need all that before the car can be taxed again. And the car can't be on the road until taxed...
The car has a fresh MOT, due to expire 5th October 2023 so that’s not going to be an issue as I aim to have it back on the road by late spring/early summer of 2023.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I know where you park. You can't SORN it and leave it there, it'll get clamped for sure. Find somewhere private to keep it and SORN it if that's what you want to do. I'd drive on like everyone else is suggesting. Just keep the North Coast runs to a minimum lol
Other than my pics how do you know where I park? Lol 👀

I had thought that, and there’s a certain Subaru up the street that has only recently been taken off axle stands that it has been on for YEARS! Granted I don’t know if it was sorned, but it certainly wasn’t (still don’t think it is) MOT’d and it was never clamped and it was half on the road and half on the foot path.

As you know where I park, it’s a brick paved lay-by for want of a better description and (pedanticly) not on the tarmac road. I am unsure if it’s Road Service or Housing Executive who maintain that section though and knowing my luck it would be clamped. My only worry would be a forum tout or falling out with one of my neighbours leading to a tout lol.

Worst case scenario I’ll have to pay the release fee and re-tax it. However perhaps I will try to enquire with the Roads Service or DVLA about where I park my car.

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
If anyone will be clamped it's surely you though 😇

There are grey areas around "roads" that belong to a development rather than the council and technically count as private. No idea if that's the case for you.

Asking the council is surely just asking for trouble 🤫

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
If anyone will be clamped it's surely you though 😇

There are grey areas around "roads" that belong to a development rather than the council and technically count as private. No idea if that's the case for you.

Asking the council is surely just asking for trouble 🤫
The theory was I would ask before I’d sorn the car lol. However I think it’s irrelevant who is responsible for maintaining that area, it still falls under the remit of a Government Office afaik and therefore still technically part of the road as @Coog has hinted at.

As I dwell on it, it’s probably not worth the risk of sorning for the sake of £18 a month. Whilst it would help the gearbag fund, it’s not going to help that much.

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
The theory was I would ask before I’d sorn the car lol. However I think it’s irrelevant who is responsible for maintaining that area, it still falls under the remit of a Government Office afaik and therefore still technically part of the road as @Coog has hinted at.

As I dwell on it, it’s probably not worth the risk of sorning for the sake of £18 a month. Whilst it would help the gearbag fund, it’s not going to help that much.
There is NO ONE going in there to clamp a car.

End. 😂

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
There is NO ONE going in there to clamp a car.

End. 😂
Believe it or not there have been a few cars and caravans slapped with stickers warning folk to love them or be clamped lol

It’s not the big and scary estate everyone thinks it is, or maybe that’s just cause I don’t stick my head up to be noticed lol

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Dammit! Cheapest I’ve seen a full 6sp conversion!! 😭😭😭

A3B50538-DEB5-4879-AA80-EBC5E84249A7.png

Boksic

RMS Regular
Can you not pretend the whine is a rally car sound kit you fitted instead of the airbox JCW yoke and drive on te ****?

I think most of us on here have driven around in something with a whining box at some point. As wild thing says, it could do it forever and never let you down. Well, not forever, but a long time anyway! Get cheap AA cover or something if it helps settle your head over being stranded, but in reality I'm sure you could tip about in it rightly for a long time yet.

Couple of friendly recovery men about the city too if you don't want AA/RAC, not hard to pay when they're not on holidays 👍🏻

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Having a scroll through gumtree this morning, and this popped up..... any good? Looks great money, and I'm sure the far reaching influence of RMS would get it home for you.

[Had to edit this as I linked and screen shot a R56 gearbox instead of the R53. D'oh]

MINI COOPER S R53 6 SPEED GEARBOX GETRAG GS6-85BG W11B16A 2000-2006,

Price: £ 150

Screenshot_20221002-090608_Gumtree.jpg

Last edited:

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Having a scroll through gumtree this morning, and this popped up..... any good? Looks great money, and I'm sure the far reaching influence of RMS would get it home for you.

[Had to edit this as I linked and screen shot a R56 gearbox instead of the R53. D'oh]

MINI COOPER S R53 6 SPEED GEARBOX GETRAG GS6-85BG W11B16A 2000-2006,

Price: £ 150

View attachment 376792
Definitely is a good price but it’s only one part of a jigsaw needed to do the conversion
For £250 I’d be tempted alright
I’m tempted, just lacking the funds lol

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Definitely is a good price but it’s only one part of a jigsaw needed to do the conversion

I’m tempted, just lacking the funds lol
After I posted, I was googling that conversion, and realised it wasn't just the gearbox that's needed.

Sorry mate.

Cheers

Niall

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.