2003 Mini Cooper R50

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Clutch kits, is it still a case of you get what you pay for? I’ve seen a full kit with solid flywheel on eBay for £230, but it’s not a big brand name, however it does allegedly have a 2yr warranty.

Should I ignore the impatience and continue to save for a LUK kit?

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Some are crap, some are fine. What's the brand?
No brand on the listing Craig….

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Could be anything then. Worth asking to see what it is so you can at least do a bit of research on them. I've had cheap clutches last just fine and I've had others last literally a few months!

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
So I’ve asked and I can’t find any information in a fairly quick search online. The seller states it’s manufactured by PCS Europe?

PieMan1

RMS Regular
Just my 2p's worth.

It may have a 2 year warranty. Do you want to be pulling the clutch and flywheel of for warranty issues? Take the extra weeks/months etc to save for an LUK it'll save alot of hassle.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Just my 2p's worth.

It may have a 2 year warranty. Do you want to be pulling the clutch and flywheel of for warranty issues? Take the extra weeks/months etc to save for an LUK it'll save alot of hassle.
Very true!
How much more is a branded kit?
The cheapest I’ve seen is a Valeo at nearly double the price.

Calco

RMS Regular
Drives
Octavia
FWIW, I bought a Borg and beck 3 piece kit from ebay for my brothers c4 picasso. Came boxed in proper packaging etc, after fitting it failed within a month.

When removed we found no stamps or anything, apparently fake clutches are a thing.

Motor factors from now on!

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
FWIW, I bought a Borg and beck 3 piece kit from ebay for my brothers c4 picasso. Came boxed in proper packaging etc, after fitting it failed within a month.

When removed we found no stamps or anything, apparently fake clutches are a thing.

Motor factors from now on!
Hmmmm….. maybe 🤔 might go the extra expense and go down that route as well!

Calco

RMS Regular
Drives
Octavia
Yea I would definitely consider it. It was sickening to do it twice and it's my game 😂

tiw30

RMS Regular
That one doesn't post to NI but to be honest if you fit a solid flywheel you will regret it, most people I have fitted one for have come back for a dual mass and to be honest I don't blame them

Bryan

RMS Regular
Always the way mate!! Lol. Thanks for the thought though, I truly appreciate it. Tell me, do they use the same gear cables as the Midlands?

I'm not sure to be honest. Judging by the position of the selectors I would say they could be slightly longer. If you need a shifter and cables you can have that one.

With regard to the clutch I'd be going LUK on my own car and I'd stick with a dual mass flywheel as well. On the cars that I sell I fit Borg & Beck clutches and haven't had any issues so far and I've done 4 or 5 Minis so far.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
@tiw30 & @Bryan

As far as I’ve discovered the R50 has a solid flywheel as standard, whereas the R53 has the dual mass.

Based on that I’ve read that the heavier dual mass negatively affects the drive ability of the R50’s, makes them sluggish to accelerate apparently due to the fact the R50’s lack the supercharger lol

Unless I’m wrong and that R50’s also have a dual mass?

Dynam0humm

RMS Regular
Aren't dual mass only really required for low cylinder diesel engines to smooth out the high torque pulses at low rpm's?

I can't see why a na 1.6 petrol engine, or any petrol 4cyl and over should need one. You might need to rev it a bit more from a standstill, but the improved throttle response and perkier acceleration should make up for it.

Bryan

RMS Regular
@tiw30 & @Bryan

As far as I’ve discovered the R50 has a solid flywheel as standard, whereas the R53 has the dual mass.

Based on that I’ve read that the heavier dual mass negatively affects the drive ability of the R50’s, makes them sluggish to accelerate apparently due to the fact the R50’s lack the supercharger lol

Unless I’m wrong and that R50’s also have a dual mass?

I forgot your car isn't a Cooper S.

Yes, the standard R50 has a solid flywheel so I understand your logic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
A lighter flywheel is not a bad thing, it's just horses for courses.

A dual mass wheel will be a little easier to drive, and may have less vibration.

A lighter wheel will reduce throttle lag and make the engine more responsive. It won't increase power, but the engine feels a little livelier.

In practice, for me personally, I've never found it an issue to adapt to a lighter flywheel. And it does improve engagement and throttle response if that is what you are after.

For an easy "lazy" drive just floating in traffic a dual mass is absolutely fine too.

Just depends what you want out of it.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
The 350z has a lightened flywheel and it's great. So much more responsive and free revving. And doesn't seem to affect idle etc.
I think all of the above is true, last time I drove it was may! 😂

Point being-can you get a lightened solid flywheel? Would make driving the mini even more of a hoot!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.