2003 Vauxhall VX220 2.2

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Went on for a nosey but can’t see the post did they remove it?
Are they still hydraulic tappets? Suppose they are just out of range of the hydro units, interesting. I've got reground cams to put in the mx5 but it's a solid tappet head.

Yes hydraulic afaik. Will trail them all out to test.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Still there. Total fail trying to post the link though. Few pics of yours and coopers beside a couple of mx5s and then the one at the gate.

Last edited:

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
ah I must have joined the wrong group

doubtful but any pics on track no?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Can't seem to share or link it for some reason.
Kirky.jpg

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Holy smokes. Very lucky that you escaped some serious damage!!

Jonny-FN2.GT

RMS Regular
Drives
Fn2
Glad you got the car sorted easily enough. It was wild noisy trying to get it up onto the trailer. Didnt help it was pitch black so was hard to hear and see lol very nice call all the same.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
aye there were 3 out of 8 followers loose so one cylinder was doing nothing and another was only opening one valve. Nice boxer note lol

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Ah your dads Victor? Really helpful guy thanks to yous both for the bail out!!
To be fair it’s noisy at the best of times :grinning:

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
So bit of an update. After the trackday whoopsie the following has happened:

- refitted loose cam followers. seemed to drive ok but wanted to avoid a reoccurance. they had a little slack so shimming under the lifters would solve this
- removed cams and lifters
- fitted 1mm shims under the lifters to keep the lifters engaged on the followers

this seemed to solve everything, the car was driving great BUT once warmed up after 10 mins or so it had a bit of a splutter around 2-3k. I could give it a little more throttle and it would push through it and power on to 7 grand ok.

- changed spark plugs (wanted to do this anyway) - no difference
- refitted OEM injectors - seemed better but happened again
- compression tested the engine and all checked out

I had bought a timing chain kit to do over winter so became convinced that the timing had slipped a tooth given I had the cams out 3 times, or it stretched or something. Disappointingly the chain was not stretched, and timing was 100%. While its all off Im going to remove the cams and refit the originals. the gains werent there on track and they have been nothing but a pain.

In deep lol

2019-11-13 16.18.00.jpg

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
nope - need to get the new timing chain fitted, old cams back in etc. Thats tomorrow nights work. Then back to square one.

why are you refitting the old cams :worried: ?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Cams alone rarely seem to be worth the bother. So many other things connected - really need flow work and porting and all the rest to get the best out of them, then valves sized and and springs timed for the new cams, it just goes on and on. And after all that, setting it all up just so.

Basically either bolt on a supercharger, or leave it alone and just drive :cool:

Or drop in that Honda and be done 😇😁

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Hydro followers rarely like the ramp angles and acceleration rates you get with reground cams. Having said that, there are plenty of regrinds available for hydro follower heads so it must be possible if the profile is tailored to the capability of the follower. Were those proper shims or just washers? You might find that washers will very quickly get mullered by the followers.

It could very well be that now the cams are actually working correctly, the fuelling and timing are now wrong and it needs a map tweak.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
6k??? 😳 That's basically scrap. Christ, prices really have climbed. Which is nice if you're selling I guess, lol :innocent: