2003 Vauxhall VX220 2.2

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Got some side skirts for the car a while back so took to fitting them after a run to the Jacobs car show thing. Really pleased with them actually although bit nerve wracking drilling 13mm holes into the fibreglass sills! There are lots of pipes in there so a dangerous game!

Photos are crap, kinda hard to catch them in the right light.

2020-08-16 15.22.52.jpg
2020-08-16 15.23.23.jpg

JT079

RMS Regular
Just went through your whole thread! What a job you did there, beautiful car now, great on track since the power/weight ratio, fantastic. I must catch you on kirkstown next month if you are planning it too. ❤❤

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Are those specific for the Elise/VX application? Any idea how much they weigh?
Asking for a friend with a portly MX5....

maybe of interest?

Just went through your whole thread! What a job you did there, beautiful car now, great on track since the power/weight ratio, fantastic. I must catch you on kirkstown next month if you are planning it too. ❤❤

Id love a nosey around the 911 mate, its amazing. Its a date.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The race cars all run hard tops with helmets and all? Don't know if they're just all short or if someone is making hard tops with bubbles or whatever.

Definitely not a lot of room in there with roof on.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
There's a site just doing Lotus hardtops, lol, learn something new every day :cool:

No idea if it helps but there's a VX motorsport vented top in there.

There's a cheaper single skin one as well for motorsport use.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
There's a site just doing Lotus hardtops, lol, learn something new every day :cool:

No idea if it helps but there's a VX motorsport vented top in there.

There's a cheaper single skin one as well for motorsport use.
That’s who I’d buy from but it’s a big gamble. Going to experiment with tilting the seat back a bit more and see how that goes. I have a workaround with the soft top but no give in the hardtop obviously.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Unless you wanted to build a dedicated race car then just stick to the soft top. Best of both worlds really.

You're not driving through winter anyway? Nor chasing lap times that hard that aero matters?

Personally I think the soft top works better. The hard top gets noisy and still leaks as much.

And then it has to be stored when not in use and all that. Might not matter too much with the VX seeing that the roof is much smaller, but still.

Anyway, you'll work something out as always :cool:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That does look great but you'll still get fed up with it and just leave it in the garage :innocent:

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
What a bonkers day. Expected the heavens to open so put the road wheels on which are great In the wet but bar one shower it was pretty much bone dry. So wrong tyres meant some unintentional drifting as I was properly on it. Brakes gave up going into hairpin on first session but switching off abs sorted that. Then they started a judder later. I was giving them death though and they are cheap pagid pads so I really need to get some decent pads now.

Still grabbed a 1:11 and was having a lot of fun chucking the car round and giving it death. Touch wood the SC is working really well.

few pics courtesy of @Cooper and @thornracing

EB3A5612-E916-4417-9C01-69337093B1F6.jpeg
A9BBCD67-1433-441F-9782-C0058713B77E.jpeg
1F518555-3499-4E72-9431-F8698B725AF9.jpeg
3649FBB4-E49F-4B72-905C-6EAC011724D8.jpeg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
If you had brought the track wheels it would have been a biblical flood, lol, just the way it goes! 😁

Road tyres might not be conducive to record breaking lap times but can be epic fun!

It's amazing though the number of times the skies are open everywhere else but nothing at K-town. Sometimes you can even see the rain either side of the circuit. They chose the spot for a reason when they built the air strip. Or perhaps just got really lucky, lol :innocent: