2003 Vauxhall VX220 2.2

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Changed the front pads for some pagid items today. Whatever came on it squealed like a mofo so had to go. Might keep them for track days though as they are super easy to change.

Was nice to find the car has braided hoses as well as the 2 piece discs. Priced them up they are 600 odd quid a pair and it has them front and back.

C957B6CD-802A-4A19-9BD0-52D50A9F0BCE.jpeg

Phil_D

RMS Regular
Changed the front pads for some pagid items today. Whatever came on it squealed like a mofo so had to go. Might keep them for track days though as they are super easy to change.

Was nice to find the car has braided hoses as well as the 2 piece discs. Priced them up they are 600 odd quid a pair and it has them front and back.

View attachment 236846

Bonus 👍👍

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
while doing the brakes I noticed a few problems with the bonnet release:

- the handle was detached
- the bracked was broken
- the cable was slack
- the cable was frayed and crappy looking

So I took the bracket out, glued it up and then removed the old inner cable. Fitted a bike brake cable in its place as its a perfect fit and has the same end etc. Stripped and regreased the release bracket. Refitting the bracket was a nightmare. Head first into the passenger footwell and legs up in the air. Not the time to get a cramp!

2019-05-23 18.18.14.jpg

2019-05-23 19.53.42.jpg

Also took out the gear surround to fix it. the plastic frame has broken in about 5 places so got the epoxy glue out again and am patching it up. Have to do one piece at a time so it can have time to harden in the right shape before going onto the next part. Will have to remove the centre console cover to refit it but its all scratched up anyway so will give it a once over while its out

2019-05-23 19.41.07.jpg

2019-05-23 19.41.10.jpg

2019-05-23 19.41.16.jpg

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Lovely motor, they are a lot of fun. Sat in one in a showroom years ago and it took me 3 attempts to get out of it, very undignifying 😂

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
Very cool! Haven’t seen one in years! I think I may have been on the same boat on Saturday too actually 16:30? Was a lotus Evora on there too coincidently. I followed my Sat Nav even though I know the A75 well and ended up taking a 60 mile detour through a forest park. Amazing scenery and actually would have been great fun in your new car I’m sure but not so much what I was driving.

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
Health to enjoy. I love these and was very torn between the one you viewed here and an s2k. Ended up with S2k but if money would be no object would buy this as second car.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
as a daily driver these are just awful so Id say you made the right choice! I was really tempted to buy Darrens, he was a great guy but this came up a fair bit cheaper and with some bits done already that I wanted (brakes) so didnt make sense for me. Tbh Im surprised its still there, there were 2 guys down after me to see it.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Not knowing the car at all I was cautious to spend as much time on main roads as possible. Some great roads down from Kelso south of Edinburgh to hook up with the A75 at Gretna. Car just flows through bends like nothing else.

I was on the 3.30 stena btw
Very cool! Haven’t seen one in years! I think I may have been on the same boat on Saturday too actually 16:30? Was a lotus Evora on there too coincidently. I followed my Sat Nav even though I know the A75 well and ended up taking a 60 mile detour through a forest park. Amazing scenery and actually would have been great fun in your new car I’m sure but not so much what I was driving.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
result on the discs, i put performance friction on the s2000 some jab.

View attachment 236846

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Just a wee update. The centre console is very tatty so have removed it for tidy up and painting. I also removed the front part of the little tunnel with the intention of painting it too but thinking about it it will just get scuffed up again so I dug out the trusty carbon wrap. This will keep it tidy looking.

Main console still a WIP probably be a while until I can paint it properly then cover some bits in clear wrap to protect.

F9F8F17D-084B-48C0-A245-D7C124C0A498.jpeg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Do you still have the rubber floor cover? Not sure if the VX had those too. If you do, rip it out while at it and check corrosion underneath.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Ah I remember doing that on my Elise. No it’s just mars on the bare floor. I plan to strip the mats and seats at some point to give it a good clean anyway so will know for sure then.