2003 Vauxhall VX220 2.2

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
So scored some parts which will likely not be fitted for some time due to house move (will remove rear clam for this lot)

- 2.4L inlet manifold. sacrifices some low down torque for increased power up to the limiter
- oem cat section with precat removed, may replace main cat with a 200cell one. removing the precat supposed to destrangle it at higher revs
- Vauxhall sports exhaust. meant to be nice and anti social :laughing:
- piper cams
- itg induction kit

That will be the lot for this year. got offered a supercharger kit for handy money but the additional cost of ECU and mapping made it out of reach for now. Plus it can be a project for next year. With the exception of the inlet manifold these parts are all good for SCing anyway, so not a waste. And all super reasonably priced. £750 for the lot, all easily sellable again and retains oem parts to swap back.

itg.jpg
cat.jpg
vse.jpg
inlet1.jpg

inlet2.jpg

cams.jpg

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
picked up some rear turbo wheels that another owner was running on the front of his VX. I think Im gonna go down the route of:

- 17" turbo rear wheels
- 16" astra sxi front wheels (they look similar to turbo wheels)

this replicates the Lotus setup (1" larger rears) and allows wider fronts. the std fronts are pathetic. check out the difference.

2019-06-05 16.43.24.jpg
2019-06-05 16.43.28.jpg
2019-06-05 17.02.33.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Was at the factory last summer and there were front wheels like that for the new Exiges and Evoras. I asked the tour guide if they were the spare wheels 😇

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
those back wheels are the same as the set i offered you

mk4 gsi turbo ??

those 16” snowflakes look odd more rounded compared to the gsi snow flakes actually more off a match to the 18” vxr snow flakes

has any one run a 18” rear 17” front ?

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
I don’t think they are the same mate. Maybe same style but different offsets maybe. Never heard of anyone using them on theirs.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Its not for the looks, the snowflakes are 16 x 6.5 which is perfect for fronts. vs 17 x 5.5 on regular turbo fronts which are understeer central.

the fact that they are close in looks (especially when painted black) is a bonus

Neil_M

RMS Regular
That set up looks bang on :grinning:.

If I remember correctly Top Gear / Lotus done a test on the Elise with the two front sizes, its bound to be on YouTube?

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
I had a VSE on my SC and it was ridiculous popping banging and the odd spit of fire on the over run. I absolutely loved it, MOT man laughed his balls off and let it through as long as I took him a run up and down the Ind park on the way to the centre....but it is pretty obnoxious sounding.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the 2.4 inlet. More hassle fitting than its worth imho unless you have clam coming off for another reason.

Back then only the guys going for big power, 300+ got custom mapped. Every one ran the same generic CS stage 2 map that they sent by post. It was a much better map than my turbo had that was done "custom" by a local expert. That map had more holes than a golf course.

TD 1.2s were the go to choice back then or comp Mo's if you had loads of dough.
If you ever see nitrons for sale bite their hand off. I had them on the SC and gaz gold on the turbo and the SC was like a totally different chassis.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Not much to report on this, the house move took over my life for the last few months but finally the VX got its new home

Not the biggest garage but plenty of room in front of it for a workbench and plenty of room on the right to get the door fully open and slink myself out.

2019-07-31 11.03.58.jpg