20210717_200951_HDR.jpg

roverspeed

RMS Regular
OP
roverspeed
Drives
Insignia
20210822_104018_HDR_(1).jpg

Well the car had MOT on 10th of August and passed with no advisories, and the tester said it was a "really clean wee car", which is nice to hear.

As I swap the standard headlights back in for MOT, I took the opportunity to make some improvements to the modified headlights.

The bi-led projectors have been set deeper into the lamp bowl (lots of cutting)

I added LED projector main beam units (they also work as yellow fogs, undecided whether to use that function as of yet)

I made a loom so that when my headlights are off, both the bi-led projector and the main beam flash (it was just the mains before)

Sidelights are now inside the bi-LED projectors.

The entire inside is now satin black.

I'll get some night pictures up soon

roverspeed

RMS Regular
OP
roverspeed
Drives
Insignia
Have you not picked up an Irmscher grill yet? It really improved the frontend on mine.
No. I forgot about that actually.

I had thought about dark chroming the chrome on the found grill and replacing the Vauxhall (has the milkiness in the black part) badge with this

1000x750.jpeg

roverspeed

RMS Regular
OP
roverspeed
Drives
Insignia
20210829_105527_HDR_(1).jpg

I took the bumper and grill off yesterday and painted them to match my photoshop.

I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

I have the headlights swapped again, I wasn't happy that the indicators were still clear compared to the black headlights, also a different sidelight solution maybe.

I also found a guy that will 3d print ducts to replace the foglights if I supply the stl file. So I'll get that done sometime next weekend, they are a relatively complex shape

roverspeed

RMS Regular
OP
roverspeed
Drives
Insignia
I had these lightbars sitting for ages and finally got around to fitting yesterday.

Still working on improvements on the LED headlights, they'll be back in next month all being well.

The lightbar is very subtle, it actually looks black at anything but straight on.
20211229_223945.jpg
20211229_221659.jpg

20211229_221702.jpg
20211229_221431_HDR.jpg

roverspeed

RMS Regular
OP
roverspeed
Drives
Insignia
Haven't updated in a while, I must start taking pictures when I do things.

I have fitted Bilstein (just b4) all around with H&R 45 mm lowering springs. I think the car might have already been lowered because it didn't drop it that much.

If I end up keeping it long term, I may upgrade to decentish coil overs (nothing over £5-600)

I also have fitting poly bushes to the front lower arms.

And put a new radiator in on Friday, I removed the air con (has never worked and it doesn't bother me) I'll remove the compressor before end of summer.

Black wheels are temporary, whilst I am refurbishing another set, then full set of Goodyear Eagle f1 asymmetric 6 going on week after next.

I have a job I'm dreading next week, front subframe bushes :-(

20220619_120534_HDR.jpg

Haven't updated in a while, I must start taking pictures when I do things.

I have fitted Bilstein (just b4) all around with H&R 45 mm lowering springs. I think the car might have already been lowered because it didn't drop it that much.

If I end up keeping it long term, I may upgrade to decentish coil overs (nothing over £5-600)

I also have fitting poly bushes to the front lower arms.

And put a new radiator in on Friday, I removed the air con (has never worked and it doesn't bother me) I'll remove the compressor before end of summer.

Black wheels are temporary, whilst I am refurbishing another set, then full set of Goodyear Eagle f1 asymmetric 6 going on week after next.

I have a job I'm dreading next week, front subframe bushes :-(

20220611_103603.jpg

New calipers all round (due to seized or snapped bleed nipples) new brembo discs and pads on the front also.
20220619_120534_HDR.jpg

roverspeed

RMS Regular
OP
roverspeed
Drives
Insignia
@carmad.

Do you know anyone that can do mileage correction? I have bought a set of black dials (I don't like the white dials) but they are 28,000 miles higher than my car.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
OP
roverspeed
Drives
Insignia
20220729_191836.jpg

Just refurbing the spare set of wheels I bought a while back, in preparation for a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 I got for a very good price from Kwikfit of all places.

Just went for a slightly darker than normal metallic silver. (Will darken once lacquered)

They sure aren't 100% perfect but they are a Damn site better than the current wheels. I was very pleased to get the kerbing out and not having to use any filler.

I have painted the barrels satin black(I'm not one to be arsed to take my wheels of to clean them and I'm hard on brakes....)😅

roverspeed

RMS Regular
OP
roverspeed
Drives
Insignia
20220806_161239_HDR.jpg

Though I got a bit of a bargain on these.

Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 6, £311 all 4 fitted and balanced. (Technically I should get £11 back because I took the wheels without tyres, but I'm not bothered) no one could come close to matching Kwikfit for these.

I switched from the factory 215/40r17 to 225/45r17. The originals are just too low profile for my liking.

They'll fill the front arches a bit better too, I have already been running 225/45 on the rear.

I'll put them on next week when I get the geo done

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Nice motors, i remember pining after the 888 version back in the day, I think the big wing and arch extensions did it for me 😂

967AEFC1-F474-4F6A-876F-7627516DBF10.jpeg

roverspeed

RMS Regular
OP
roverspeed
Drives
Insignia
20220821_094552.jpg

Working on mk3 versions of the headlights, I bought a relatively cheap set of aftermarket lights, with an existing dipped beam halogen project and main beam halogen reflector. Silly looking angel eyes etc.

These are only to be a base, so far I have removed the dipped beam halogen projector, cut it up to suffice as a mounting for my bi-led projectors, I have drilled out the back of the reflector, painted it satin black and epoxy'd the little. 1.6 inch dual high beam/yellow fog combo projector.

The beauty of this method is I retain all the adjustments of the standard headlights.

I am waiting parts for the indicators, suffice to say, I wasn't happy with the standard reflector, so it will also be a projector unit I'll modify (I'll sand the rear of the glass reflector to make it diffuse to have a wider beam. The aim being having the same look as the rest of the unit.

Finally, the angels eyes are removed, the entire interior is painted black. And 3 5000k 0.5w LEDs in the 3 inner light things as side lights.

I'll make simple circuits inside the headlight with double throw relays so that :

A) the sidelights are off when the dipped beams are on, but will come on if there is a lamp failure.

B) when the dipped beams are off, when I flash the headlights the dedicated main beam units and the biled projectors will flash.

I also got these connectors, so it's a neat single connector to each headlight.

download.jpeg

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
Who knows?
Damn I wish I had the same knowledge and ability to do stuff like this! Can't wait to see the finished product!

roverspeed

RMS Regular
OP
roverspeed
Drives
Insignia
Damn I wish I had the same knowledge and ability to do stuff like this! Can't wait to see the finished product!
You don't really need that much knowledge.

You just need to be stupid enough to put brand new headlights in the oven 😃

First headlight should be done and ready for testing mid week.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
OP
roverspeed
Drives
Insignia
20220824_195402.jpg

Just let the epoxy off gas for about 2 days, and the lens will be able to go back on.

Then I'll do the other one (-I never do both at once as I'm making decisions as I go.)

Won't be going into the car until after it's MOT on the 16th September.

I hope to get the 3d printed ducts to replace my fog lights by the too.