2004 Octavia VRS

PieMan1

RMS Regular
Yep, another thread on another car that I'll probably sell soon. ( I joke )

Spec is as follows.

1.8T
FSH
Stage 1 Auto Tune Map .

I have always been a TDI man but after feeling how the 20v picks up, safe to say I'm converted.

Not many pictures of it atm it needs a good going over.

I've added a set of metros & some Phillips headlight bulbs ( will get some pics of before and after later incase anyone cares )
20210222_173537.jpg

Plans are timing belt next week & MOT. Then maybe start doing some bits like a mild "stage 2" set up.

any comments greatly appreciated.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Get the preventative maintenance bits out of the way first before tuning, then you've a decent base to start from. Oil pickup failure in the sump will kill these quicker than a pump or belt; always run them on fully synthetic oil and do it at max 10k.
Get the thermostat and coolant temperature sensor done too, makes such a difference to running.
I had Weitec springs and Koni dampers on mine, can be hard to get the right dampers as these have the TT style long droplink, i couldnt tell if it made a difference to mine as I'd broken 2 springs but was never harsh. Centre box out of the exhaust too, makes a nice noise, no drone and is so cheap its nearly free.
Dont be tempted to run a cone filter on it, they only suck in hot air, a Carbonio long arm is a different story though and makes a class noise.
I loved mine, wish i still had it, its one of the few cars my older 2 kids still talk about. If i get rid of my Golf Anniversary, I'll be looking for another one.
FB_IMG_1614268821569.jpg

Last edited:

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
Get the preventative maintenance bits out of the way first before tuning, then you've a decent base to start from. Oil pickup failure in the sump will kill these quicker than a pump or belt; always run them on fully synthetic oil and do it at max 10k.
Get the thermostat and coolant temperature sensor done too, makes such a difference to running.
I had Weitec springs and Koni dampers on mine, can be hard to get the right dampers as these have the TT style long droplink, i couldnt tell if it made a difference to mine as I'd broken 2 springs but was never harsh. Centre box out of the exhaust too, makes a nice noise, no drone and is so cheap its nearly free.
Dont be tempted to run a cone filter on it, they only suck in hot air, a Carbonio long arm is a different story though and makes a class noise.
I loved mine, wish i still had it, its one of the few cars my older 2 kids still talk about. If i get rid of my Golf Anniversary, I'll be looking for another one.
You're 100% right , Oil pickup ordered and all. so will throw pics of that up as I'll DIY that.
Stat is getting done by the mechanic & I'm nearly sure there is a recent receipt for a temp sensor.

I am in two minds suspension-wise. for the price you really can't go wrong with the likes of prosports etc. as long as you don't run mega low.

I have been tempted with a cone lol for more noise but I am well versed in heat soak and cones. I Will looking into the carbonio long arm tho.

Straight swap for the Anni? ;)

cheers again.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
You're 100% right , Oil pickup ordered and all. so will throw pics of that up as I'll DIY that.
Stat is getting done by the mechanic & I'm nearly sure there is a recent receipt for a temp sensor.

I am in two minds suspension-wise. for the price you really can't go wrong with the likes of prosports etc. as long as you don't run mega low.

I have been tempted with a cone lol for more noise but I am well versed in heat soak and cones. I Will looking into the carbonio long arm tho.

Straight swap for the Anni? ;)

cheers again.
Dont even tempt me! I've it advertised too!
If you look round the bootlid shut at the roof, you'll see where these are seam welded from the factory - this was vrs only. Audi TT front strut brace fits them too with the minimum of work. Oh and black Golf mk4 carpet makes it so much easier to live with day to day!

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
Dont even tempt me! I've it advertised too!
If you look round the bootlid shut at the roof, you'll see where these are seam welded from the factory - this was vrs only. Audi TT front strut brace fits them too with the minimum of work. Oh and black Golf mk4 carpet makes it so much easier to live with day to day!
I'll be easily dealt with ;)
Seam welded? what benefit does this bring? I have actually seen about the front strut brace. I think you just need to drill holes and nut and bolt them.
that is one thing I'm not keen on the cream carpets lol . they need done badly haha.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I'll be easily dealt with ;)
Seam welded? what benefit does this bring? I have actually seen about the front strut brace. I think you just need to drill holes and nut and bolt them.
that is one thing I'm not keen on the cream carpets lol . they need done badly haha.
Stiffens the shell up, if you jack it up you'll see! Thats all the TT brace needs to fit, usually a couple breaking on Facebook. Carpets are an hour max to swap out, direct fit from a mk4 golf of your choice!

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Nice looking car that. These always tempt me even if I absolutely hated everything about my fabia vrs.

I have a tt strut brace sitting here that id be happy to sell if one from a 3.2 vr6 mk1 tt is any use to you?

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
Great car, metros make a difference, love the splitter :cool:
I'd dare say the splitter is the best fitted I've ever seen cupra splitter wise 🤣🤣
Nice looking car that. These always tempt me even if I absolutely hated everything about my fabia vrs.

I have a tt strut brace sitting here that id be happy to sell if one from a 3.2 vr6 mk1 tt is any use to you?
You hated your fabia vrs ? I had an ibiza with a pd lump and it was brilliant, what did you hate about it

I'm not 100% set on a front brace tbh as taking it off and on would be a pig being nutted a bolted and what I've found is they get in the way of engine work lol

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I'd dare say the splitter is the best fitted I've ever seen cupra splitter wise 🤣🤣

You hated your fabia vrs ? I had an ibiza with a pd lump and it was brilliant, what did you hate about it

I'm not 100% set on a front brace tbh as taking it off and on would be a pig being nutted a bolted and what I've found is they get in the way of engine work lol
No probs!

Ah, it just wasn't for me. It was a fine car but I think I expected it to be more fun than it would be, after having a peugeot 205 and then mk2 golf as my first 2 dailies, and it just wasn't. Replaced it with a mk1 mx5 and 250 quid 205 dturbo 😂

The octavias just seem a nicer car all round!

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
No probs!

Ah, it just wasn't for me. It was a fine car but I think I expected it to be more fun than it would be, after having a peugeot 205 and then mk2 golf as my first 2 dailies, and it just wasn't. Replaced it with a mk1 mx5 and 250 quid 205 dturbo 😂

The octavias just seem a nicer car all round!
You went too modern too quickly :laughing: few mates had / have Fabia VRS' and love them
I still view my Octy as a modern car for me...................although it's almost 20:laughing:

Dan.86

RMS Regular
I think I spotted this in Bangor earlier this evening. Looks well and certainly very few about which is why it caught my eye. I was in its younger sibling, grey vrs hatch.

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
That would of been me ! Took a trip out as its been work sleep repeat for awhile!

I also said I added a set of Phillips gt200 h7 lights. And some white sidelights, I usually go for leds but went for halogen to save the hassle before mot etc.
Here's the before and afters
Before
20210221_183236.jpg

After
20210225_215546.jpg

Good upgrade.

Hopefully get good weather this weekend and give it a good clean!

Last edited:

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
Have always liked these yokes, they've aged well.

Also have you got a couple of palm trees in your driveway?

I've never given them a thought. But yes, yes I do. you should see the back garden lol.

Hows the s4?

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
The S4 is fantastic to be honest - goes unbelievably well, stops great, handles great, is comfy and relaxed when you want it to be. It gets cleaned more than it's driven these days which is a shame.

Found myself looking at E92 M3s again also

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
That would of been me ! Took a trip out as its been work sleep repeat for awhile!

I also said I added a set of Phillips gt200 h7 lights. And some white sidelights, I usually go for leds but went for halogen to save the hassle before mot etc.
Here's the before and afters
Before
View attachment 313647
After
View attachment 313648
Good upgrade.

Hopefully get good weather this weekend and give it a good clean!

GT200s end up a good job for halogens? They certainly look a lot brighter in the photo.

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
GT200s end up a good job for halogens? They certainly look a lot brighter in the photo.
I'd like them abit "whiter" but for halogens can't complain. The extra light distance is noticeable if that makes sense.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
That is tidy man! Always fancied one of these myself, but people keep telling me that they’re small inside due to being based on the mk4 golf platform.