2005 R53 Mini Cooper S

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
So the parts are starting to stock pile in the spare room. Managed to fit some this week after the car came back from the BodyStop. Got my roof sprayed to remove the bubbling rust along the windscreen line, while the roof was being painted, I also got the G Wing sprayed and fitted.
IMG_0841.JPG

IMG_0839.JPG

Ordered some more parts for when the engine work is done, as the engine and gearbox will be pulled out. Might as well poly bush when down that far
IMG_0782.JPG

When the ITG arrived, I deflapped the JCW airbox and fitted it. I must say it sounds great and feels much smoother
IMG_0840.JPG

Finally got the R56 brake callipers sprayed red and lacquered, then packed them away until they can be fitted.
IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

Decided to remove the rear seat delete and fit grey front and rear leather seats. These where a good match to the Sparco I had, so decided to fit it as well.
IMG_0836.JPG

Out of pure luck, I was browsing on the Mini groups on Facebook when a part out thread popped up. A like new passenger side facelift heated JCW Sparco was for sale. I have been looking for a passenger one for ages as well as this being the facelift version so I jumped at the opportunity. Only thing is the base is the wrong colour, however it is a light grey so will hopefully be able to get it colour matched or else recovered. Doesn't really bother me at this point anyway so will get it fitted as soon as the resistor arrives to avoid the airbag light
IMG_0855.JPG

Will get the heated seat retrofit wiring from Prentice's after the summer and fit when I fit the black carpet.
Next thing on the list is a set of R95 JCW wheels as these in my opinion are the nicest Mini wheel. Also looking at fitting the JCW suspension just to lower the car a tad, retrofit a facelift chrono pack and if I can ever get one local, the anthracite headlining, sun visors and pillars

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
Little bit of an update to the thread. Finally managed to get all the bits I needed to fit the GP Intercooler, so last weekend @Wild Thing and I set about fitting it.
IMG_1170.JPG

While the intercooler was out, I thought I might as well fit the JCW 380cc injectors as well. So out with the old grubby injectors
IMG_1171.JPG

And in with the new JCW ones
IMG_1172.JPG

Then to finish the GP Intercooler on top
IMG_1174.JPG

Decided to take the Sparco seats out yesterday as I have my heart set on a set of R53 Recaros (if I can eventually find a set) so the normal grey leather Mini seats where fitted back in.
For my birthday I was able to get a set of R95 Alloys at long last, so sent them off to be refurbed. Couldn't quite decide what tyres to put on, but in the end thought I would just do it right so put on Michelin Pilot Sport 4s all round.
IMG_1234.JPG

R56 Cooper S front brakes were also fitted with drilled and grooved disks
IMG_0878.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

Managed to get a full set of JCW Struts and Springs so they will get fitted soon to lower it very slightly
fullsizeoutput_671.jpeg

Last edited:

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
So after stock piling parts since February for this, I finally managed to get some free time in the workshop, so a pretty major update is to come :joy:.
Got the old suspension stripped out and the JCW suspension fitted. While the rear wheels were off, the rear callipers where painted to tidy them up and match the fronts. A trip to Markey tyres then followed to get a full alignment done.
IMG_0085.JPG

I have to say, I was initially worried that with the 18s and JCW suspension that it would be thrashy and uncomfortable as this is my daily driver. However it has made an unbelievable difference, far more comfortable and predictable through corners, not thrashy at all!
The car has needed a new clutch and flywheel since I bought it back in Feb and the timing chain also needed done. I thought, since I was going to be tuning it, the most cost effective way to do this was take the engine that was in @Wild Thing 's old Cooper S and build it up on the floor with all the performance bits added. It already had a timing chain replaced no more than 500 miles ago and was running like a dream before the car was broken, fairly low miles on it too so it was a no brainer.
So out came my old engine and gearbox
IMG_0034.JPG

Sat side by side to transfer ancillaries over and fit the new clutch and flywheel
fullsizeoutput_6e5.jpeg

While the engine and gearbox was out, I fitted the Powerflex Engine and Gearbox mounts as the OEM Mini ones were looking a bit worse for wear.
When all the parts were fitted, back in went the engine and gearbox
IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

Fitted an old set of aero grills I had laying around to the front, to tide me over until I get the car resprayed and aero kit fitted in the Spring, I'll just get new grills from Prentice then. Don't think there is any point getting it painted at this time of the year due to gritters and stone chips :mad:
IMG_0091.JPG

Just a few finishing touches to do on Monday building it up again then a short road test to ensure everything is OK. Have it booked in to get custom mapped on Tuesday, so all being well I will have it back for the Mini Run next Sunday.
The car will now be running:
Cravenspeed 15% reduced supercharger pulley
+2% ATI Super Damper
Newman Phase 2 Cam
GP Intercooler
380cc JCW Injectors
JCW Airbox (Deflapped)
Milltek Non Res Exhaust
New Clutch, Flywheel and Timing Chain

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
Absolutely super (y) I've been thinking about selling mine but I can't thunk of anything to replace it with, and reading this is giving me the bug to buy a few toys for it and keep it.

Have you still got the rear seat delete?

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
Absolutely super (y) I've been thinking about selling mine but I can't thunk of anything to replace it with, and reading this is giving me the bug to buy a few toys for it and keep it.

Have you still got the rear seat delete?

I love it. Its fairly quick and nimble on the twisty roads. Doesnt take much to see an improvement in performance. Plenty of shows and runs always on too if you’re into that sort of thing
I havent got the seat delete anymore im afraid, sold it a couple of weeks ago

HWW

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta, Mini
Thanks, its getting there slowly. Have you still got your Mini? Yours looks fantastic inside especially with the alcantara Sparcos and JCW Steering wheel!

Full fat JCW. Sold it in 2011 to a rms member. I had taken it off the road but the brakes seized after a winter of sitting the garage so fitted new brakes and sold it on.

Won a few awards and best in shows in 2008 and 2010.

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
So not the update I wanted :sob: Left the car down in October to get mapped and what should have been a simple job turned out to be a big problem. When I left it down, since @Wild Thing and I have had all previous facelift R53's mapped with same mods, the base map of the previous cars should have been OK to use... Oh no not this car :mad:
The ECU was not the common one used, so it couldn't read the previous files. So now well into November with backlogs of work, I said just let the car sit, I was in no rush. So beginning of December good progress was being made, all was good, was making 220bhp base map... then bang! Place filled with steam and header tank emptied. Got the car lifted and home to pull down thinking just head gasket
24300950_1767406876665654_2455595893632597283_n.jpg

Head cracked clean in half!

Anyway, out to the back yard to pull down an engine to get the head off. Sent down to Comiskey to get pressure tested and skimmed and got it back the next day. Fantastic service!
fullsizeoutput_16b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_16d.jpeg

In the meantime, in case the header tank had cracked as well due to pressure, I ordered a Canton Header tank with Stant cap.
IMG_0351.JPG

In the end we took the ATI Crank pulley off as it was causing too much strain on the engine, so off it come, as well as my 15% reduction supercharger pulley and on went a -17% reduction pulley
fullsizeoutput_1af.jpeg

So engine all built up again and road tested it feels very sharp with only the base map. Still a lot more to come out of it I'm told, so time will tell. One thing I will say is the Powerflex engine and gearbox bushes cause the car to vibrate like mad. Quite annoying!

fullsizeoutput_1b3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1ba.jpeg

So back down to get the mapping finished then will have it back for Christmas if all goes well. Have the black carpet out and ready to fit over the Christmas holidays, as well as a new Kenwood DAB radio. Header tank wasn't cracked so will wait until it comes back to fit the Canton tank over Christmas. Will also give it a good wash and decontamination then give it a good polish and wax

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
It will all be worth it in the end. Another very, very well sorted R53 to join the elite bunch of Northern Ireland R53 Addicts

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
Over Christmas I finally got the few days I needed to keep the car in the store to strip the inside out of it to change the awful blue carpet for a nice fresh black one with brand new mats. While the carpet was out I thought it would be a good time to fit the heated seats retrofit kit since there was plenty of room to work and it was easy to run the wires to where I needed them.
IMG_0458.JPG

Was also able to fit the Canton Expansion Tank with Stant Cap and gave the engine bay a good clean
IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

Only other things done to the car over the holidays was fitting the clear indicator lens tail lights as I feel they freshen up the car rather than the amber lens, then a good clean, wax and all the trims dressed. I also fitted a Nextbase 412GW dash cam and Kenwood DAB single din stereo
IMG_0454.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

Haven't got the final map on the car yet due to Christmas holidays so am just running it on the 220bhp base map and keeping the revs low, but hopefully next week it will be finalised and it can get a proper run at full potential :joy:

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Only just reading this thread now! Such a cool, capable wee car. Rear seat delete looks well, never knew they had off-the-shelf options available.

Lauren_E

RMS Regular
OP
Lauren_E
Drives
MINI JCW
Only just reading this thread now! Such a cool, capable wee car. Rear seat delete looks well, never knew they had off-the-shelf options available.
Thanks, it really does handle well and surprises a few cars at times. The rear seat delete was a DIY made one. I picked it up off another member when they put their car back to standard