2005 Shogun Elegance SWB

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Picked this up a few months ago to run about in over winter and satisfy my occasional towing needs....

2005 Mitsubishi Shogun Elegance 3.2 SWB auto - 1 retired owner from new - full dealer history (serviced every year!) and 37k miles!

The Colorado I posted on here a while back didn't last long, as I got an offer I couldn't refuse. Last winter I was using a '93 3L TD Surf, but decided one day the lack of ABS and airbags wasn't for me with a trailer on occasionally. It made good money and away it went.

Had several very clean MK2 Pajeros over the years and always liked them, but was never a big fan of MK3 Shoguns I had in stock as I found them a bit crashy on the road, a noisy engine, and hard on diesel. Initially bought this for stock, given the way they have held their money and the spec and mileage was brilliant, but have ended up putting it on the road.

Spec is good - Leather, massive sunroof, cruise control, some lovely wood trim :p etc. The leather wasn't heated, so I had Blackline Performance install some aftermarket pads (great job) and also a 9200i Parrot kit. The previous owner had already installed aftermarket parking sensors. Also had it fully under sealed with Dinitrol (first time using it, very impressed), 2 stage polished, and finally a rear window tint (30% tint) by Carnology (top job as always). Also stuck my TIL plate on it.

The previous owner bought it on retirement to tow a touring caravan, did that 5 or 6 times and decided it wasn't for them, but kept the Shogun. Given the easy life it has had, it drives great, and the smaller wheels compared to the Warriors I have had definitely improve the ride. To reduce the noise I fitted a full soundproofing kit from Noisekiller UK, which definitely helped suppress the ridiculously noisy engine (anyone who has driven an auto one of these from cold will know what I'm on about!). Yes its thirsty, but older 'proper' jeeps like this are getting thin on the ground, so forcing myself to behave and hold on to it. A relatively good auto box, independent suspension and cruise control make it very liveable. (better pics to follow if anyone wants!).

088AEC42-E3A7-4AA8-A860-22FE0C99E994.jpeg
891997E1-480C-4B43-A36E-570AB131C517.jpeg
0CF96877-5238-4345-B517-74F5DDCB1E60.jpeg
9B9D4E30-D1A8-4CDA-A987-DB8BA6835FB3.jpeg
6E0E176F-2D05-4A71-9DA3-C1A480A57F6C.jpeg

Last edited:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Looks well, from what I can see :p

I’d love a swb 1 of these, but couldn’t live with the idea of the 3.2 dying.

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool

Yeah you’ve me well warned off them too, in saying that that’s an nice example. Hte(y)

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
OP
suckindiesel
Drives
A6 Allroad

Surely you only see the bad? I know plenty of people who have run them for years with little to no bother.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Surely you only see the bad? I know plenty of people who have run them for years with little to no bother.

Yeah, but when they were bad they were very bad, and very expensive.

Be nice to have a good, rust free example. How did you find the Dinitrol to apply? Does it dry, or remain tacky like waxoil?

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
great jeep, had one from new for about 10 years, 114k and apart from service bits the only thing it ever needed was a fuel sender unit. Worst enemy was underside rust

Marty Lad

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
Looks great, the old fella had one of these a few years back, very similar only black and manual. From what I remember they have an issue with plastic timing chain guides failing and wrecking the engine, it's a cheap and easy fix but needs to be done as preventative maintenance. Great all rounder other than that though.

colin84

RMS Regular
My granda has 3 of them and runs them on all sorts of ***** fuel, from chippy oil to heating oil and surprisingly they are still running at high miles.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
3.2 dying??? I have run lots of these for the last 15 years and never had any bother. Fantastic Jeep.
Now your suck in diesel @suckindiesel

Yep. In the time I was at GP Turbo’s there was 3 of them in that needed injector pumps. A friend of ours bought 1 last year, thankfully from a car dealer, and it quit on her too with it needing an injector pump as the diagnosis too, which seen it going back to the car dealer for a full refund.

No doubt they’re a great driving and towing 4x4, if a little soft with the IRS, but as Matt rightly said, I only really seen them when they were in need of repair.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
OP
suckindiesel
Drives
A6 Allroad
Yeah, but when they were bad they were very bad, and very expensive.

Be nice to have a good, rust free example. How did you find the Dinitrol to apply? Does it dry, or remain tacky like waxoil?

I have heard people having bother with injector pump. Hoping not an issue with the miles on this one.

Underneath is very good as it’s been garaged. Dinitrol was good yeh....expensive but feels more rubbery and higher quality.

They are a bit softer than the Colorado, but they’re much more car like, which is 90% of what it will be used for.

Lee

RMS Regular
They're a nice looking jeep and the heated seats are a nice touch.

Dinitrol is good stuff, I've used it myself. It does dry to the touch pretty quick but there is some sort of wax agent in it that should prevent it from ever going brittle and cracking which as we know would be bad news.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Seen this on blackline's Facebook page and thought it was a very very fresh looking jeep lol

Looks a gem, always enjoyed pottering about in one when I was in the trade and got the chance

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
OP
suckindiesel
Drives
A6 Allroad
They're a nice looking jeep and the heated seats are a nice touch.

Dinitrol is good stuff, I've used it myself. It does dry to the touch pretty quick but there is some sort of wax agent in it that should prevent it from ever going brittle and cracking which as we know would be bad news.

Leather with no heat is a no no!

I can def see the extra ££ in the dinitrol to be honest. It had never been under sealed so wanted to do it right.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Will be very interested to hear your opinion on the dinitrol after a few more months. I followed the instructions to the letter, cleaned and prepared everything perfect, used the rust converter etc for surface rust, applied in a heated garage etc and after a few months it started to peel off really badly in places like wheel arches. The 'control' patch of por-15 is still perfect on the same car